pokemaster117
kdcogle

Star Trek is better than Star Wars

pokemaster117

Pro

Star Trek(by the way, I'm talking about all the TV shows except Voyager and Enterprise. Yes, even the animated series) is better than Star Wars. Yes, Star Wars is an excellent movie, but Star Trek is better. Before we begin this debate, we must realize a distinction between the two. Star Trek is purely science fiction. Star Wars has elements of science fiction, but it falls under the a sub-category of fantasy, the space opera. But of course, if you are a real Star Wars fan, you would know that, so you're probably scoffing at me right now. Anyways, I hope this will be a good debate! Do you accept my challenge?
kdcogle

Con

Reasons why star wars is better
Carrie Fisher in a gold bikini chaned to a fat alien, this could be higher up on the list.
trek games to shame, while we may not be getting star wars 1313 star wars has given us one of the best role playing games ever in knights of the Old Republic and more than double the game titles of any star treck adaptions
a star ship captain of the Enterprise doesnt know how to put sentances together or run a crew
sure if you place the falcon side by side with enterprise its a tough choice as to which ship is the more iconic or the two of them. But think about the impact that one ship has had in popular culture from only appering in three movies compared to enterprise appearing in every single star trek.
Star Wars has better music, with the exception of the score to wrath of khan star wars has a better score. it is iconic.
lightsabers... pair up the two iconic wepons from each franchise the light saber and which one wins a pulsating beam of light that can slice threw mettle like it was butter.
pokemaster117

Pro

Sure, the games are better for Star Wars, but the movies are the most iconic aspect of its franchise. Second of all, Star Wars isn't about Carrie Fisher in a gold bikini, pervert. Anyways, Star Trek has much higher tension. For most of the episodes in the original series, I was at the edge of my seat. Take "The Menagerie", the two part storyline from season 1. At least for the first part, I was dying from said tension.
Maybe Star Wars has more iconic single villains, but Star Trek has more iconic alien races as a whole, like the Klingons, the Vulcans, Xindi, the Romulans, Q, Ferengi, and Borg just to name a few.
Anyways, talking about Star Wars games, you didn't even mention Rogue Squadron. Kids these days. U.S.S Enterprise is also much more iconic than the Millenium Falcon. And while Han Solo and the Millenium Falcon was taking down the Death Star, Kirk and crew were exploring strange new worlds, seeking out new life and new civilizations, and boldly going where no man has gone before, unlike the bounty hunters. You never know what to expect from a Star Trek episode.
kdcogle

Con

Do I really need to explain this one? While a boarding crew in Star Trek brings what I assume is an old Nokia phone that's more than likely "set to stun," a Jedi knight brings a more civilized weapon for a more civilized age, a glowing beam of light powered by a crystal encased in an elaborate hilt.
Coming in a variety of colors and styles, a lightsaber is able to cut through almost any material in the galaxy and deflect blaster shots and lightning (the super evil kind). A lightsaber also instantly makes whoever uses it at least 11 times cooler. Don't believe me? I don't recall Luke blowing up many Death Stars before getting a lightsaber.In Star Trek, the Vulcans can pinch people's nervous systems in order to bring them down. In Star Wars, the Sith shoot lightning out of their finger tips! Basically a Vulcan's super power is the equivalent of a botched chiropractor visit, while a Sith can turn you into a singed pile of dust with nothing but his hands (and the dark side of the force obviously).
And while a well-placed blaster shot or a good cardio exercise can keep a Vulcan from getting close to your neck, you know what you need to stop force lightning? A lightsaber.Star Trek has logic and stuff, but Star Wars has the Force, that mysterious form of power that only a select few are able to tune into and use to their advantage. Need to pick up the remote but don't want to get up from the couch? Use the Force pull. Need to get out that parking ticket? Use the legendary Jedi mind trick. Forgot your lightsaber at home and that Star Trek redshirt is getting ready to shoot you with his cellphone, er, phaser? Use Tutaminis to absorb the energy of his shot and then send him flying back with a good old push from the Force.
As long as you don't try to scientifically explain how the Force works (I'm looking at you George Lucas) and just leave it as that super cool mystical power, it's just cool. It also apparently helps you do triple back flips a lot. Jedi
These quasi-religious warriors and protectors of democracy, with their flowing robes and trusty swords made of light, are the epitome of manliness and virtue. Understanding and accepting of other cultures and views, patient in their dealings with others, selfless in their service, yet capable of carving their way through a crowd of droids and stormtroopers alike to protect those in need. A Jedi knight is the perfect role model.
Sure, being a space explorer going boldly where man has never been sounds exciting, but you're gonna have to call in the Jedi to solve things when Kirk "accidentally" messes things up and Spock is indisposed from pon farr? The Sith
Originally a highly force-sensitive species of red-skinned creatures living on the planet Korriban, the term Sith eventually became used to describe the followers of the Sith philosophy and religion, of following the Dark Side to gain greater power and freedom. More than a simple dark Jedi giving in to the temptation of the Dark Side of the Force, a true Sith is the ultimate bad guy in the sci-fi universe. Motivated by the desire of ultimate power, the Sith also have the unusual (unusual of sci-fi villains at least) of winning as often as they lose.
An ambitious Romulan admiral might orchestrate a political crisis near the Federation border in order to perhaps start a war and advance his own career, a Sith lord would orchestrate a plan that would take place over a millennia that involved destroying his opponents from the inside without them ever expecting it, bringing about the moral and political decay of society before striking from the shadows. If I had to pick, I would rather battle a Klingon than go up against the dark powers of a Sith.
TIE Fighters, X-Wings, the Millennium Falcon; Star Wars ships are cooler
From the lonely wail of a twin ion engine to the locking of s-foils in attack formation, to doing the Kessel Run in under 12 parsecs, Star Wars spacecraft rule the skies and stars of the geek universe.
Star Trek's USS Enterprise is no less iconic, with its warp drive technology taking its intrepid crew where man has never gone before, but I'm pretty sure she can't do the Kessel Run in under 12 parsecs, or fly me safely though an asteroid belt when all the odds are telling me that I'll likely get as squished as those TIE fighters following me.
The Enterprise is iconic because it's in every single Star Trek film in some variation or another, but I'll take that super star destroyer and its lean arrowhead shape any day of the week (I just have to remember to intensify foreword firepower). Costume design
Jedi robes and pony tails, scoundrel jackets, Phase II battle armor, golden bikinis. Star Wars outdoes itself when it comes to costume design, making sure that its villains and heroes are remembered for their look just as much as they are for their lines. Darth Vader wouldn't be Darth Vader if he wasn't encased in his all-black power suit.
While Star Trek's one-piece jumpsuits are certainly easier to make for a Halloween costume, your typical Star Trek redshirt doesn't look half as cool as an Imperial Stormtrooper when it comes to being randomly gunned down without your character being developed.
Aliens
Although this probably could have been classified as costume design, the aliens in Star Wars are just too awesome to be denied their own slide.
In the Star Trek universes, it turns out that all that separates humans from Vulcans is pointy ears and rigged foreheads. In Star Wars, even the little Jawa's look distinctly alien, with their small stature and glowing eyes. When Luke Skywalker enters that dingy cantina, he's confronted with a host of incredibly alien " well, aliens. From the bug-eyed to the rat-faced, from Wookies to Ponda Bubba. Star Wars takes the cake when it comes to awesome looking aliens.
Also, when it comes to green-skinned slave girls, Star Wars Twi'leks are clearly superior to Orions.
Star Wars's captain can totally beat up Star Trek's captain
Go get your dictionary out. Look up "cool." See that picture of Han Solo in the definition box? No? Get a different dictionary, because Han Solo is as cool as cool gets.
He's a rogue, he's a scoundrel, breaking the law for a living and hanging out with some questionable associates. He's smug and suave, knows his role in life. But he's good at the end of the day, dependable, the kind of friend you want to have, and lives by his own code of honor.
He manages to defeat feared bounty hunter Boba Fett blind, manages to seduce a princess moments before being frozen in carbonite, and saves Luke from none-other than Darth Vader himself, thereby saving the galaxy by proxy.
Captain Kirk reads Han Solo stories at Scout camp and tries to be like him, Picard is uptight and follows the rules (though he does get bonus points for the accent). And if it ever came down to a fight, Han would win, because Han shoots first. Always.
pokemaster117

Pro

First of all, the costume design in Star Wars is not better than Star Trek's. Star Trek's costume design is simple, yet awesome, and as Apple Computers said, "Simplicity is the Ultimate Sophistication". Anyways, name at least five Star Wars aliens without looking online and tell me the names of them. Previously mentioned in round 2 were Klingons, Vulcans, Xindi, Romulans, Q, Ferengi and Borg, seven any Trekkie should know. Han Solo may be cool, but in my opinion, Spock is even cooler(not in the "cool" sense, but in the sense that he is an extremely great character). Though I agree Picard is a bit uptight, Lieutenent Commander Data makes up for it.
While I do agree that lightsabers are cooler than a phaser gun, they just wouldn't work for the Star Trek series. Also, for villains, shooting lightning out of their hands works for the Sith, but just isn't as cool as Khan sending Ceti Eel into Captain Clark Terrel and Commander Pavel Chekov's ears, as in Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan.
By the way, scientifically explaining things in Star Trek works for Star Trek, and the force works for Star Wars. It's just that I always liked logic and explanations in detail, so I favor Star Trek. There's just one thing that irks me a tiny bit about the transporters: the explanation for getting around the heisenburg uncertainty principle was the Heisenburg Compensator. And how does this work? Noone knows. It just does. That is my one and only problem with the original series.
The Enterprise has been iconic since the first series by the way, and not from being in all Star Trek series. The most iconic one, and the one everybody knows, is the U.S.S Enterprise NCC 1-701.
kdcogle

Con

kdcogle forfeited this round.
Posted by pokemaster117 2 years ago
pokemaster117
Sorry...meant Heisenberg, not heisenburg.
Posted by pokemaster117 2 years ago
pokemaster117
I hope this has been a fun debate so far! I hope I haven't sounded mean or anything, I can just get a little passionate sometimes.
Posted by pokemaster117 2 years ago
pokemaster117
Oops... in round one I said "the a subcategory of fantasy", meant to say a subcategory of fantasy.