KingDebater
Matt_L

Starting with Rio 2016, The Olympics should give away certificates for participation.

Matt_L

KingDebater

Pro

Poor Beijing 2008 failure Paula Radcliffe, she is shown here crying after receiving no medals at a marathon she 'struggled' to come 23rd in (1).

If only the olympics was a bit more like sports day at school, then it would all be a lot better.

Perhaps if Paula Radcliffe had received a certificate for participation, then she wouldn't feel so bad about herself and maybe wouldn't even cry at all!
I propose for something along the lines of a certificate that says:

SPORTS CERTIFICATE
This piece of paper certifies that PAULA RADCLIF has participated in the olympics!
He or She or It came 23rd!
Well done, PAULA!

Not only that, but I also propose that we change the shape of the Olympic podium (2) from the cruel and twisted shape that it currently is to a big round table (3), where all the participants sit round it and it's all very equal because nobody is sitting at the top. It's all fair!

(1) http://www.telegraph.co.uk...
(2) http://upload.wikimedia.org...
(3) http://go.sky.com...
Matt_L

Con

I look forward to a good debate!

I will begin my argument by laying some ground work as to what distinguishes an Olympic winner from a participant.
Athletes enter the Olympics as mere athletes, and exit having been placed somewhere within two new categories. These categories are: Olympian and Winner. Everyone who wins first, second or third place in an event is, of course, placed in the Winner category. According to *Olympic.org, all athletes who participate in the Olympics "will become Olympians, whether or not they win a medal." Pro believes that these participants need some sort of tangible trophy or paper to make them feel better about being participants. I believe that there is no need or reason to give these athletes anything more than the title 'Olympian.' They have spent many months training to be the very best athletes in the world and have certainly proved it. Even if you finish in 23rd place, you're still a better athlete than any normal person, you're an Olympian! Which is better: having a certificate which constantly reminds you that you came in 23rd, or having the title 'Olympian.'

As for Pro's second argument that the winners podium should be replaced with a round "Participants Table." The podium is specifically for winners. If you have distinguished yourself by having one of the very best performances in your event, then you receive a medal and are recognized by being placed on the corresponding level of the podium. As mentioned above, the participants that do not win medals or time on the podium win the title of Olympian. They specifically did not meet the criteria for standing on the podium, and should not do so. The people who won should have their own time and place of recognition.

Sources-
* http://www.olympic.org... -quote found on page nine.
KingDebater

Pro

Having a certificate is much better than being called an Olympian. If I went to the pub and said "I'm an olympian" to all my correct friends, they'd reply with something like "Being an olympian does not, in fact, presuppose great athletic ability. For example, Beijing 2008 failure Paula Radcliffe is classified as an olympian and she came 23rd, receiving no medals after her marathon! That is absolutely rubbish!". They'd be right, too.
However, if I said to them "I got a sports certificate from the Olympics", then their thoughts would be something along the lines of "If the Olympics, a great organization, feels that he is good enough to warrant a certificate, then he must possess great athletic ability unmatched by your average lazy unactive slob like me". They'd be right, too. The Olympics sports company giving a certificate certifying achievement and congratulating said sports personality is very impressive.
Certificates are very impressive!

certificate

As for the sport podium, I believe that no matter what somebody achieves in the fields of throwing stuff, splashing in water quickly or running in a circle quite fast, we are all equal really because we are all best at the thing that matters most, and that's just being yourself. For that reason, all athletes should sit at a big round table after their sports game because all of them are equal, but special so it needs to be celebrated. It pains me to say this, but it seems to me like Con is a bit of a mean guy who values games achievements over a person's special ability to just be themself, and that's devestatingly incorrect.
Besides, who is to say who is better anyway? In this lovely PC world od ours, nobody did best or worst in a race, they just came in their own special unique place. We should celebrate diversity, not just praise one thing and look down upon another to an extent where one poor soul can cry if they don't get first place in a race (here, I'm referring to Poor old Paula Radcliffe, well-renowned Beijing 2008 failure).

I'm KingDebater, and I approve of this message.

Matt_L

Con

My normal response.

Illogical Statement No.1

Pro stated that "we are all equal really because we are all best at the thing that matters most, and that's just being yourself." My question is, What does this have to do with the Olympics? I, as a follower of Christ, do believe that every single person has the same amount of worth and that everyone is best at being themselves. But there's no way you can correctly claim that everyone is equal when it comes to running or swimming or any other physical activity. If I sit around my house all day and never exercise, my ability to run is not going to be equal to the ability possessed by Usain Bolt. If I dedicate my life to learning how to build the best buildings, my ability to play the guitar is not going to be equal to that of Jimi Hendrix. Even if I practice for months and months there's no way that I could physically be equal to Usain bolt. The point of the Olympics is to showcase the amazing physical ability of a select few from all over the world.

Illogical Statement No.2
With regards to the original topic: Pro's idea of every single participant receiving a 'good job certificate' from the Olympics is redundant. Every single participant in the Olympics already receives the title of 'Olympian' by doing the exact same thing that would get them a certificate. They participate!

Illogical Statement No.2.5
Pro said: "Being an Olympian does not, in fact, presuppose great athletic ability." Yes it does! They don't just let anyone in that wants to compete. This website lists a few of the requirements- http://trackandfield.about.com...

I could go on, but I'll stop there.

Thank you, Pro, for the interesting debate!
Posted by Ragnar 2 years ago
Ragnar
When I served in the army, in the best run unit I was in (sadly a training unit) I was a member of something called "A. Train" for Physical Fitness. Some fatties tried to poke fun at me for being the slowest sprinter, inside the very fastest group. However doing such earned them the nickname "retard" for their mental accomplishment.

I can imagine the mental process of such retards (keep in mind it's not an insult, when they put such work into earning the title post birth)... "I run a 13 minute mile, but am faster than the slowest guy in my clique. That guy runs a 6 minute mile, twice as fast as the best in my clique, but slower than the rest of his. .... Therefore I'm a genius who they based the Flash comics on, and he's a snail."

Criticizing an Olympian for coming in 23rd (something probably easier if they bring a certificate around with them), is grounds to get your fattie (we're all fatties compared to them) behind kicked into a different shape than god intended.
Posted by KingDebater 2 years ago
KingDebater
Where are the votebombers when you need them?
Posted by KingDebater 2 years ago
KingDebater
Three votes on one of my debates in the space of 20 minutes. That's a miracle, I'd say.
Posted by KingDebater 2 years ago
KingDebater
I'd be willing to do the debate with you. I just put criteria up because anyone that passes it is someone I'd like to debate with, people who aren't can vary dramatically.
Posted by Matt_L 2 years ago
Matt_L
I'd like to accept this debate, but I guess I don't qualify?
Posted by Bradmorris 2 years ago
Bradmorris
Ridiculous. This is the problem these days. Our younger generation can't handle losing and will sook if they arn't recognized. Giving them Participation Awards will not prepare them for later life where things won't go their way. 'You didn't get the job'...'but i participated!!!!"

And on the other end, it would be taking away the actual winners moment. They have worked hard to get there and deserve that moment.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 2 years ago
Ragnar
KingDebaterMatt_LTied
Reasons for voting decision: Nice touch with the Spock picture! Pro not knowing that Olympians need to be in shape, was pretty painful to read (caught by con). What took the cake for me was "Besides, who is to say who is better anyway? In this lovely PC world od ours, nobody did best or worst in a race, they just came in their own special unique place" I believe pro's own suggested "SPORTS CERTIFICATE" already states who did better or worse. Also how big is that proposed table of winners? ... S&G was ok (I don't punish small mistakes, when everything was still legible). SOURCES: This is in pro's favor, but not by enough to claim the rare point (his sources were not tied into his argument enough, and seemed to mostly be general knowledge... much like cons). CONDUCT: No shortcomings.
Vote Placed by SPENCERJOYAGE14 2 years ago
SPENCERJOYAGE14
KingDebaterMatt_LTied
Reasons for voting decision: Okay, so I'd writ an amazing RFD about why Con's arguments are more convincing and how he pasted a bunch of urls so he had better sources, but I'll not bore you all. Keep up the good work!
Vote Placed by TheUser 2 years ago
TheUser
KingDebaterMatt_LTied
Reasons for voting decision: Sources were equal. Con did great in refuting Pro and the arguments he made. Gl to both of you in the future.
Vote Placed by birdlandmemories 2 years ago
birdlandmemories
KingDebaterMatt_LTied
Reasons for voting decision: Tough drbate to judge. Both had good conduct, I didn't see any spelling errors, and both used sources. I will give arguments to con, as he brought up some good points, and refuted pros very well. Good luck to both of you in future debates.