Starwars vs Star Trek

I belive Star Wars is the better of the two

I thank my opponent for this debate.

I will be arguing that Star Wars ISN'T better than Star Trek. I'd like to point out that the burden of proof is on Pro to prove that Star Wars is better than Star Trek.

I believe that starwars is BETTER than star trek because starwars has had a better everything to me a better story better characters and better wars star trek just didn't have a good enough plot for me

I'm not entirely sure how to respond to "Star Wars has had a better everything." But I'll refute what I can.

Better Story
Without explaining HOW the story's better, my opponent can't possibly expect this to be a standing point. I'd like to point out that there are hundreds of different stories and plots in the 5 Star Trek TV series and the 12 Star Trek films. If my opponent would like to clarify which storyline in Star Wars they're referring to, then we can compare the two.

Better Characters
My opponent doesn't say HOW the characters in Star Wars are better. But for Star Trek, The Original Series broke many race barriers that existed in America at the time [1960's.] They had a black woman holding the position of Lieutenant. And one of the pilots was played by a homosexual Japanese man, in a time where racial diversity wasn't immensly popular. Another pilot was a Russian, and this was at a time when there were high tensions between the USA and Russia. Starfleet captains are the vision of what a true leader should be. All Starfleet captains are required to take an oath, in which they will always put the safety of their crew at top priotity. Star Trek also has better non-human characters. Such as Word [Klingon], Data [Android], Seven of Nine [Borg], and obviously Spock [Vulcan.] Star Trek explores the non-human characters more deeply and gives them much more complexity than Star Wars does. In Star Wars, you can't understand what Chewbacca even says. The non-human characters in Star Wars speak in random noises that can't be understood. Thus barring the audience from making real connections with them.

Better Wars
Conflicts in Star Wars were mainly the Jedi V. the Sith. In Star Trek however, you have a much more complexity in the conflicts. There are the Klingons, who are a war obsessed species, and war is ingrained in their culture. Even though they eventually make peace with Starfleet, this alliance is very tense, because some Klingons believe their people have become softened, and these Klingons still commit acts of violence against Starfleet. Besides the Klingons, there are the Romulans, who want no alliance with Starfleet. The Romulans are cunning enemies, and very manipulative. To end the Starfleet-Romulan war, both sides created a neutral zone in space, and neither side is permitted to cross into the territory of the other. Then there are the Gorn. And ages ago, they used to control a vast area of space, but now most of that area has been abandoned. And now that other life has come to explore those areas, the Gorn attack them ruthlessly, believing that that area of space is still their territory.
In my opinion, the most interesting race in Star Trek are the Borg. The Borg are a species enhanced by cybernetics. And this allows them to connect into one collective mind. They can easily adapt to phaser fire, which makes it very hard to attack them. And they believe in assimilated all lifeforms and cultures into their own, and they will not tolerant any resistance. Since you can't just shoot at will at the Borg, a tactical and intelligent approach must be taken. Therefore, with all this complexity in each conflict, they [the conflicts] are very unique, and not just the generic one side firing weapons at another sequences which you find in Star Wars.

Star Trek has a much better chance of lasting longer than Star Wars. It came first, the Original Series releasing in 1966, whereas Star Wars first came out around 10 years later. After all this time, the latest Star Wars film, the Revenge of the Sith, received 80% on Rotten Tomatoes, whereas the 2009 reboot film for Star Trek received a 95%.

More importantly, Star Trek was an envisioned future for humanity. Where all humans unite in the quest for knowledge, and there is no more infighting between the human race. Humans have learned from their past mistakes, and are careful not to go back to the era of injustice and divisions. We finally learn not to interfere in the devlopment of other cultures, and that is starfleet's general order number 1, called the Prime Directive. It embodies one of Starfleet's most valued ethical principles, which is noninterference with other cultures and civilizations. Starfleet personnel can never interfere in the natural development of an alien society, and Starfleet officers take an oath to uphold this directive even at the cost of their lives and those of their crew.

"The Prime Directive is not just a set of rules; it is a philosophy... and a very correct one. History has proven again and again that whenever mankind interferes with a less developed civilization, no matter how well intentioned that interference may be, the results are invariably disastrous."

– Jean-Luc Picard

So in conclusions, Star Trek is a much more complex work, which explores the human nature. It was Gene Roddenberry's intent that Star Trek would discuss issues and ideas that concern humans today.

Sources -

I think Star Wars video games put Star Trek games to shame. Bioware and lucasArts While we may not be getting Star Wars 1313 RIP LucasArts Star Wars has given us one of the best role-playing games ever in Knights of the Old Republic and more than double the game titles of any Star Trek adaptations. We have no idea what EA has in store for Disney's next lineup of "Star Wars" games, but it can't be any worse than the latest attempt at a video game tie-in for "Star Trek Playing Star Trek: The Game felt like playing an unfinished version of a game that, even when finished, still wouldn't be very good. Also

My opponent hasn't refuted any of my arguments in the previous round.

I'd like to point out that we're arguing to prove that Star Wars vs Star Trek. And video games don't count as canon.

In fiction, canon is the material accepted as part of the story in an individual universe of that story.

The official Star Wars canon consists of the six released Star Wars theatrical feature films, along with the Star Wars animated film and television series The Clone Wars and Star Wars Rebels. The upcoming feature film Star Wars: The Force Awakens (along with the untitled Episode VIII and Episode IX) will also be a part of the official canon.
Source: paragraph 2

According to the Star Trek website, the canon consists of The Original Series, The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, Enterprise, and all of the films.

So, comparing video games is outside the scope of this debate. Because the video games don't count as canon for either franchise.

Rainyday2316 forfeited this round.

I extend.

Rainyday2316 forfeited this round.

My opponent has forfeited the end of the debate. Vote con.
Posted by Stefy 1 year ago
Star trek is better by a lot. Live long and prosper Midnight1131
Posted by Midnight1131 1 year ago
I wouldn't say Next Generation was a war between two factions. In my opinion, Picard was the most diplomatically capable of all the captains, and the least likely to resort to violence.
Posted by Mike_10-4 1 year ago
@ ComradeNickie

Of course there are times conflict happens in the Star Trek series. A clever move by the writers to include those who are infatuated with war. The more who watch the show, the more money they get from their sponsors.

More importantly, the Star Trek series made subtle political and social statements wrapped in the disguise of fiction.
Posted by ComradeNickie 1 year ago
Well Mike that all depends, isn't next generation and Voyager all about some giant war between two factions? Also not a big star trek nerd so I don't know much about that.
Posted by Mike_10-4 1 year ago
Starwars is about war, where Star Trek is about discovery.
Posted by ComradeNickie 1 year ago
Just Setting up my lawnchair...
Vote Placed by tajshar2k 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited, had poor spelling compared to Con, and made no arguments or rebuttals. Con did all of that, and used sources to back his claims up.