TheTruth77
kasper31208

Static Tax Rate

Started: 12/19/2015 Category: Economics

TheTruth77

Pro

Static tax is a fundamentally fair system both logically and morally unlike progressive tax which is unfair and effectively dis-incentivises society to be high income earners. This could in time lead to a changing of the law or disruptive tax avoidance strategies being implemented by society. I would welcome a debate on static v progressive tax.
kasper31208

Con

I fundamentally disagree with your assertion of proposing a static tax system as fair for the following reasons.

1) In order for a static taxation to be fair we have to make a number of presumptions. Firstly we have to define what is fair? Do we equate fairness to egalitarianism? meritocracy? Equity? et al. Our moral perceptions of fairness are dependent on which one of these measures of fairness we choose to adhere to. However, I presume that based on your arguments neoliberal undertones that you associate meritocracy with fairness. However, if we apply this standard your argument fails as although we would almost all agree that we would like live in a society based on this type of fairness, the reality is that many people do not always get what they deserve.

2) Secondly your argument fails as there is a lack of evidence to justify why we a right to decide now that the current distribution of wealth in society is fair.

3) The benefit from the economic incentive that you describe is unnecessary and would actually cause more harm than good.. In modern capitalist societies there is a vast disparity in income distribution in countries which have a progressive taxation system, which means that there is still a significant incentive to become a high earner. In addition, your proposal would actually cause substantial harm to the economy due to the economic principle of diminishing marginal utility.

4) I fail to see how a static tax system would address the problem of tax avoidance. Companies make decision based on cost not on the type of tax system used in a country. Therefore, they would choose to declare in the country were they would have to pay the least amount of tax regardless of whether that country used a progressive or static taxation system.
TheTruth77

Pro

Kasper.....did you even read the debate question? Unless you can answer in a sensible and intelligent way you should really think about removing yourself from this forum!!
kasper31208

Con

Did you even read my response? You have framed the motion in manner which implies that a static tax rate is fair. I have offered four points of rebuttal to your assertion that a static taxation system is morally and logically fair. I challenge you to define fairness, and provide reasons for why you believe such a system is morally and logically superior. Please deal with my actual arguments rather than throwing around asinine ad hominems.
TheTruth77

Pro

TheTruth77 forfeited this round.
kasper31208

Con

kasper31208 forfeited this round.
Posted by Theunkown 1 year ago
Theunkown
'Disincentives high income earners'

Just when I thought I heard it all, the internet never ceases to amaze me.