H8this
KeytarHero

Stem Cell Research

H8this

Pro

Stem Cell Research is our future in Medical science. Stem Cells can be used to do many great things. They can be used to cure many of the major diseases out right now. I don't think Stem Cell Research has enough funding so they are limited to the amount of research they can perform. There have been experiments on rats and mice where the stem cells ended up resulting in tumor masses but with the insufficient funds that stem cell researchers are provided with they can't really do these experiments to the best of their ability. I support all types of Stem Cells whether they are embryonic stem cells, adult stem cells, or stem cells from a aborted fetus.
KeytarHero

Con

I would like to thank Pro for instituting this debate.

I am not opposed to adult stem cell research. Adult stem cell research has been responsible for treating over 75 illnesses and helping to regrow parts of a human body, while embryonic stem cells have treated none. [1]

The problem is that embryonic stem cells can be rejected by your body and turn cancerous. The reason for this is the same reason that kidney transplants can be rejected -- the stem cells come from another person's body.

But even if embryonic stem cells were successful in treating ailments, it would still be immoral to use them. The reason for this is that you must kill a human zygote in order to retrieve their stem cells. [2] Human zygotes have just as much a right to life (that is, a right not to be killed unjustly) as we do. They are just as much human beings as we are. Experimenting on human beings, even for some greater good, is wrong. It was wrong when Dr. Mengele experimented on Jews during the Holocaust, and it's wrong now to kill human beings for their stem cells.

So my arguments are as follows:

1. Adult stem cells have been successful, whereas embryonic stem cells have not.
2. Embryonic stem cells are dangerous to use.
3. Killing human beings for their stem cells is wrong.

I await Pro's response.

[1] Benefits of Stem Cells to Human Patients: Adult Stem Cells v. Embryonic Stem Cells," Do No Harm, http://www.stemcellresearch.org...
[2] I was recently made aware of a website that showed that stem cells were successfully retrieved from human embryos without killing them, allowing them to grow up normally and healthy. While this removes some of the controversy because you don't have to kill them to retrieve their stem cells, this still leaves the question about whether or not it's moral to perform this procedure on someone without their consent.
H8this

Pro

H8this forfeited this round.
KeytarHero

Con

Well, Pro has forfeited so please vote Con.
H8this

Pro

H8this forfeited this round.
KeytarHero

Con

KeytarHero forfeited this round.
Posted by H8this 1 year ago
H8this
yes that works
Posted by KeytarHero 1 year ago
KeytarHero
I wouldn't mind taking this. I believe in adult stem cell research, but believe embryonic stem cell research to be highly immoral. So if I take it, I'd just be arguing against embryonic stem cell research. Does that work for you?