not_an_idiot
lizzzie_beee

Stem Cell Research

not_an_idiot

not_an_idiot

Pro

Stem Cell Research is an extremely important advancement in the scientific community. Should we let fetuses from abortions be wasted, or should we try to let all of the 200,000 Americans paralyzed have full control of their movements? Good Luck @lizzzie_beee
lizzzie_beee

Con

First off, I'd like to thank @not_an_idiot for challenging me to this debate. I look forward to the arguments and am excited to be debating him again (go vote on our other debate about using plastic surgery to enhance physical appearance if you want) I now will shut up and post my argument

In case you don't already know what stem cell research is I will explain it as best I can. Stem cell research is taking ES cells or cells from aborted fetuses or embryos grown in a lab and injecting them into the area of the spinal cord where the neurons can no longer send messages to a specific part of the body. the reason why this works is because you are extracting the cells from aborted fetuses/lab grown embryos, that have not had time to develop yet and are essentially a clean slate. once these cells are injected into the spinal cord they become neurons and take on the job of the original one. You might be asking if it can cure paralysis why am I opposed to it. Well here's why. Before testing was done on humans, scientists tested the embryonic stem cell research (there are two other kinds adult stem cell extraction and umbilical cord extraction. @not_an_idiot and I are debating over embryonic stem cell research) on mice. according to www.allaboutpopularissues.org, "Mice treated for Parkinson's with embryonic stem cells have died from brain tumors in as much as 20% of cases.1 Embryonic stem cells stored over time have been shown to create the type of chromosomal anomalies that create cancer cells" If this form of stem cell research has caused brain tumors and cancer in mice, why would it not cause the same affect among human patients?
not_an_idiot

Pro

Although your statements about how mice might get cancer from Stem Cells being put inside them is true, I believe you are missing the point of the argument. The topic is Stem Cell Research, not Stem Cell Testing. I am encouraging the research of ES Cells, not the actually action of putting them in humans. You should never give up hope for people to be able to walk, talk, and have their lives back.
lizzzie_beee

Con

lizzzie_beee forfeited this round.
not_an_idiot

Pro

Seeing that my opponent has forfeited this round, I will move on in the argument. Stem cells have helped people very close to me, such as my uncle. He was shot while trying to stop a fight and was unable to move his right leg with full control until a few months ago. He had stem cells injected into him, and within weeks he was finally able to walk without a cane or wheelchair. Although ES cell research is not fully complete, I have high expectations for the outcome of all this research. Additionally, my opponent says "If this form of stem cell research has caused brain tumors and cancer in mice, why would it not cause the same affect among human patients?" Mice's brains and humans brains are completely different in size, complexity, and the way they work. If they were the same types of brains, then mice would be able to speak just like we can. These results must be deemed unreliable.
lizzzie_beee

Con

First of all I'd just like to say that the reason I forfeited the last round was not because I did not have a rebuttal to my opponents argument but because I was extremely busy over the weekend with book reports projects reading etc not that any one cares but I thought I would include that. Alright Argument from this point on. In my opponents second argument he stated that "Although you statements about mice might get cancer from Stem Cell being put inside them is true, but I believe you are missing the point of the argument. The topic is stem cell research not stem cell testing."; however in his third argument he makes a hypocritic proposal that his uncle was helped by stem cells being injected into his body. Although I mean no personal offense by this and am truly sorry about what happened to your uncle I honestly truly am but if you said that the topic is stem cell research wouldn't the argument about your uncles progress was do to what you referred to as "testing" is it not. But in my opinion testing on mice and on say a actual human does qualify as research in my standards. Research is "the systematic investigation into and study of materials and sources in order to establish facts and reach new conclusions." So in theory testing it would be essential to so called research. Aside from the dangers that are in ES stem cell research there are other alternatives that work just as well if not better. Although it is stated that umbilical stem cell injection or whatever you would like to call it is less efficiwnt , there is also the option of adult stem cell research. Why should the government and others fund research that is controversial or contradicts ones beliefs or moral while there is a perfectly humane and let's just say widely satisfactory alternative. By this I mean research on adult stem cells and the process of healing a paralysized person is over all less likely to cause a rucuss over itself as extracting the cells from dead fetuses would.
not_an_idiot

Pro

I do see your point about my hypocritical statement @lizzzie_beee, and I am deeply sorry for the confusion. I was wrong to tell that story. Now, to address your statement about how Adult and Embryonic Cell are almost the same. There are many differences between the two. The main one is how easily ES cells can be acquired, while getting adult cells requires much work and possibly surgery. Another difference is cost to get them. Why pay more to undergo extensive surgeries that take away your ability to repair certain organs for a period of time, while you can simply grow ES cells for much cheaper? ES cells also can become almost any cell in your body, while Adult stem cells are very limited.
lizzzie_beee

Con

lizzzie_beee forfeited this round.
not_an_idiot

Pro

not_an_idiot forfeited this round.
lizzzie_beee

Con

lizzzie_beee forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by sewook123 2 years ago
sewook123
not_an_idiotlizzzie_beeeTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited more times.
Vote Placed by zmikecuber 2 years ago
zmikecuber
not_an_idiotlizzzie_beeeTied