zorro7120
cottrill

Stephen Gough - Chastised or Glorified

zorro7120

Pro

Stephen Gough has repeated chosen to appear naked in the public arena to exemplify that the human body is our natural state and its presence should not be banned
cottrill

Con

I will debate this issue with you. He was arrested several times for his actions, and no person is above the law, so he should be restrained from doing this. The pro side will need to provide reasons that either this man should have special privilege when it comes to public nudity law or that public nudity laws need to be changed to prove his point. To be fair to the Pro side, I won't expand any further this round so that we've both declared our positions and are on equal footing. Good luck Pro!
zorro7120

Pro

zorro7120 forfeited this round.
cottrill

Con

It would appear that my opponent has disappeared, but I would like to at least state my case before I close out the debate. Pro: If you want to continue the debate and add an extra round so that you can state your position and rebut, I'm fine with that and can waive the next round.

Stephen Gough is a criminal. He committed criminal offences listed in the Sexual Offences Act 2003 for being naked in public in England[1] and the Public Order Act 1986 for intentionally inciting public distress[2], and was found guilty on these counts, among other charges[3]. If you want to remain in the public in a country, it is expected that you will follow its laws, even the ones you don't agree with. There are a number of people who don't agree with the illegalization of marijuana, but they certainly still get fined/arrested for doing it. One is not allowed to create their own laws as they see fit.

If we ignore the legal issues and get into the moral issue at hand, there can be an argument that yes, Stephen Gough is in his natural state, and because that is natural we shouldn't be afraid to see it. While I can see the argument going this way, I would immediately dismiss it, as it infringes upon the rights of others. We have lived in a society where it is generally accepted that genitals are something that should be kept private, and we don't want to see that. Again, the argument could be made that just because it's accepted doesn't mean that it's right. But the line gets blurred when we start to think about the children. Parents have the right to raise their children the way they want, and they've chosen to live or remain in a society where nudity is unacceptable. They teach their children not to look at other people's genitals and to not show their own. This is a conscious decision that some parents feel protects the innocence of their child. It is not Mr. Gough's right to infringe on the rights of these parents to raise their children as they find appropriate.

A responsible man who just wanted to live in a world where nakedness is permitted has better options. There are countries where this is allowed. There are nudist colonies within Great Britain where he could go. He could have fought to have the law changed. He had a number of routes to try taking, but intentionally disobeying the law and inciting public distress was not a mature one to take.

Not only do I feel that Stephen Gough is an irresponsible person, I also feel that justice was carried out by arresting him, and I feel that the laws in place are important, if not crucial, laws to have in a civilized society.

[1] http://www.legislation.gov.uk...
[2] http://www.legislation.gov.uk...
[3] http://www.bbc.com...
zorro7120

Pro

zorro7120 forfeited this round.
cottrill

Con

I guess that's it, please vote Con.
Posted by cottrill 1 year ago
cottrill
I don't imagine that anyone will see this, this debate hasn't had any activity since I accepted it, but I would appreciate getting even one vote, since I think it is clear that I won. If someone does see this and votes Con then thank you!