Straight_A_Kate
Dante-Vangel

Stephen King is profane and shouldn't be allowed in school libraries

Dante-Vangel

Straight_A_Kate

Pro

I noticed my school has some Stephen King books and decided to try one. I realized that they are disgustingly profane and should be taken out of my school and anyother one that houses any of them. I just want to know if I am the only one who thinks this. If so, I will fight for what I think is right.

Rules-
no cussing
no being rude
acception in round one
Dante-Vangel

Con

Banning Stephen King because of profanity ignores the fact that King is a good author. The fact remains that the books themselves are culturally relevant and well written. While I personally dislike profanity, that does not necessarily detract from a novels artistic value.
Straight_A_Kate

Pro

I agree, they are well written. But I am in a high school that also has a middle and elementary school that use the same library. It is not good if a young kid or even a middle school kid picking one up and either reading it or just looking at his writting is not good for that kid. It is ok for someone who understands Stephen King and his writing to read it, but they can get it at a store or public library. I have seen a 7 yea old walking abround with carrie, it saddened me that her parent's allow her to read it. I asked her and her and her mother said if it is in the school library it must b ok for her to read, obviously her mother has never read Stephen King. It is times like this that show that someone, especially a young kid will pick up any book and read it even if it is bad for their minds. I don't think young kids should be exposed to this kind of book.
Dante-Vangel

Con

So your arguing that because of irresponsible parents, Stephen King should be banned? That would punish people who would otherwise be reading these novels as age appropriate entertainment. The books don't need to be banned, people need to step up and be responsible.

On another note, plenty of elementary school kids know a fair amount of profanity from television or by just listening to their parents or siblings, without reading a single word of profanity in so much as a short story. Anyone in elementary school who reads a King novel would lose interest after reading a paragraph (unless they have a fairly advanced reading level).
Straight_A_Kate

Pro

That's the thing, I go to a christian school. So they aren't as exposed to profanity throuh siblings, friends, older students, etc. And at my is a college preparatory school, so young kids are expected to read far above other schools, especially in our state. So mabey it is just my school I have to worry about.
Anyway, kids old enough that want to read King can go buy it at a store or check it out at a public library, in a place were young kids are tempted to not even look at it.
Dante-Vangel

Con

The fact that you go to a christian school is irrelevant to the argument that Stephen King should be banned in schools. If anything, it should be more difficult to get inappropriate books into the school library. And you would think, if the library is K-12, it should be separated into age appropriate sections. There is also no way you can know what they're exposed outside of school, so arguing that they "aren't as exposed to profanity through siblings, friends, older students, etc." because they're in a christian school is unlikely to be accurate. Also, depending on which book you read, it could contain more profanity than another one. You appear to be basing your argument off of a single book. Your last argument made this debate overtly personal, when it started off fairly impersonal.
Posted by ishallannoyyo 2 years ago
ishallannoyyo
You know the Christian academy is good when their students spell "maybe" as "mayeb"
Vote Placed by socialpinko 2 years ago
socialpinko
Straight_A_KateDante-VangelTied
Reasons for voting decision: Weak and shallow arguments all around but Con at least argued coherently. Pro never offered up a response to Con's point that perhaps parents should be more responsible with their children, rather than taking away the opportunity to read these books from children "of age". Arguments to Con. S/G also to Con for Pro's multiple spelling errors.
Vote Placed by Travniki 2 years ago
Travniki
Straight_A_KateDante-VangelTied
Reasons for voting decision: Lack luster debate, still, con pointed out that their profanity is subjective and still appropriate to older students
Vote Placed by Altilongitude 2 years ago
Altilongitude
Straight_A_KateDante-VangelTied
Reasons for voting decision: I don't think anyone made more convincing arguments. Pro says it's profane. Con says it is still art.
Vote Placed by AlwaysMoreThanYou 2 years ago
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Straight_A_KateDante-VangelTied
Reasons for voting decision: I'm giving Con conduct because I felt Con's arguments were very, very marginally more convincing. However, I only wished to award one point because I wasn't tremendously convinced by either side.