ryanbriggs04
RoyalsWorldChamps2k15

Steve Young is a Better Quarterback than Joe Montana

RoyalsWorldChamps2k15
Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner
Started: 11/5/2015 Category: Sports

ryanbriggs04

Con

Joe Montana is the best quarterback that I've seen in my ENTIRE life! Joe Montana is a better quarterback in my opinion.
RoyalsWorldChamps2k15

Pro

The con claims that "Joe Montana is the best quarterback that I've seen in my ENTIRE life!" It's pretty clear that one of two things is happening: Either the con is lying, or the con has never seen Steve Young play. We'll begin our observation of why Steve Young is better with:

Observation One: Steve Young Has the Better Passing Performance
According to a Bleacher Report analysis, Young had a better passing performance throughout his ludicrous career. For his career, Montana was 3,409 of 5,391 (63.2 percent) for 40,551 yards (7.5 YPA), 273 touchdowns, and 139 interceptions. He had a rating of 92.3. Pretty impressive stats--until you compare them to Young's stats of 2,667 of 4,149 (64.3 percent) for 33,124 yards (8.0 YPA), 232 touchdowns and 107 interceptions. Young had a superior QB rating of 96.8. While both quarterback produced at a remarkable level during the regular season, Steve Young is the more impressive of the two quarterbacks. He performed at a higher level in virtually every aspect, albeit, not by a large degree in most instances.

Observation Two: Steve Young Is the Most Productive Rushing QB in History
Steve Young's legacy rides on one thing more than anything else--his legs. For his career, Young had 722 carries for 4,239 yards (5.8 YPC) and 43 touchdowns. Montana only had 457 carries for 1,667 yards (3.6 YPC) and 20 touchdowns. This comparison isn't even close.

Observation Three: Con's Arguments Are Flawed
First of all, con admits that Joe Montana was only the better quarterback IN THEIR OPINION. It's just common sense that opinions mean nothing when lined up against hard facts. Young was the better quarterback. Stats don't lie.

In conclusion, Steve Young was the much better quarterback as he was the one with the better stats...and stats don't lie.
ryanbriggs04

Con

I am against Steve Young! I wish Joe Montana was able to go back into football. Steve is a good quarterback, but Joe Montana is way better in my opinion.
RoyalsWorldChamps2k15

Pro

The con's arguments are flawed: once again he just says that Joe Montana is way better in his opinion. While opinions are important to have, when disproven you must ignore them. I clearly showed that Young was the better QB simply because of stats--stats are a direct reflection of how good a player is and Young has the better stats, so he is therefore the better player. He was better in passing and rushing. In fact, Young is often regarded the best rushing quarterback in history. This is even more impressive when you consider his humble beginnings. He only got into the NFL through a supplemental draft.

Lastly, in the comment section my opponent made a ridiculous claim I was plagurizing because I used stats. Stats are open to the public and I simply used them to back up my arguments. Additionally, all of my analysis is 100% original. Any claim my opponent makes about plagurism is completely false and should be ignored in the final vote.
ryanbriggs04

Con

I am a con, which means I am against Steve Young being better than Joe Montana,

Joe Montana has 273 touchdown passes alone. Steve has 232 touchdown passes alone.
RoyalsWorldChamps2k15

Pro

Throughout his career, Steve Young was a better quarterback than Joe Montana can ever hope to be. My opponent argues that because Joe Montana has more passing touchdowns, he is the better quarterback. However, passing touchdowns are not a direct reflection of how good a player is. Passing TD's are dependent more on the rest of the team than the quarterback, because it takes the whole team to drive downfield and a good wide receiver to catch the ball in the end zone. Also, Steve Young had 43 rushing touchdowns compared to Montana's 20. A better stat to evaluate the play of a QB is quarterback rating. Young had a superior QBR--96.8. Montana only had a QBR of 92.3.

All of this is even more impressive when you consider Young's humble beginnings. Young played college football at BYU. In the beginning, he was so bad of a passer that the coaching staff considered switching him to defensive back. He worked hard on his passing though, and by his senior year he succeeded Jim McMahon as the starting QB. His senior year was good enough to attract the attention of the USFL's Los Angeles Express. The Express signed him to a 10-year, $40 million contract. Due to the team budget struggles, however, Young agreed to have the $40 million paid out over 40 years. Young was selected in the supplemental draft of USFL and CFL players by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The Bucs traded Young to the San Francisco 49ers. In San Francisco, Young became a star, and arguably the best QB in history.

Steve Young clearly has the better numbers in the stats that determine how good a QB actually is. He was a better, more accurate passer than Joe Montana. He is the best rushing quarterback in history. Overall, it's clear that Young is the better QB, meaning you should vote pro in this debate.

Resources Used
1. http://bleacherreport.com...
2. http://www.pro-football-reference.com...
3. http://www.pro-football-reference.com...
4. https://en.wikipedia.org...
Posted by ryanbriggs04 1 year ago
ryanbriggs04
Write the link to the stats you are using
Posted by ryanbriggs04 1 year ago
ryanbriggs04
Use quotation marks
Posted by RoyalsWorldChamps2k15 1 year ago
RoyalsWorldChamps2k15
How is using stats open to everyone to back up your argument plagerizing?
Posted by ryanbriggs04 1 year ago
ryanbriggs04
The contestant is plagiarizing.
Posted by GOAT_23_6 1 year ago
GOAT_23_6
Considering where Young started might give him the push for me so far in this debate.
Posted by Ore_Ele 1 year ago
Ore_Ele
That moment you realize that Peyton Manning has more TDs then Young and Montana combined.
Posted by ryanbriggs04 1 year ago
ryanbriggs04
I just did, and I saw it LOL, I didn't know it was a sample... LOL
Posted by palmertio0 1 year ago
palmertio0
Click on create debate, then click on example next to Debate Topic.
Posted by ryanbriggs04 1 year ago
ryanbriggs04
Oh, I didn't know it was a sample
Posted by palmertio0 1 year ago
palmertio0
LOL That's the sample debate topic
Vote Placed by U.n 9 months ago
U.n
ryanbriggs04RoyalsWorldChamps2k15
Who won the debate:-Vote Checkmark
Reasons for voting decision: Con's first two arguments were really just personal opinions. The only "meat" he provided to the debate was one line of touchdown stats. Pro had the more difficult side (would have had, if Con argued) considering how many football fans widely believe Joe Montana to be the greatest QB of all-time. However, he was able to overcome that in the debate by providing multiple arguing points (observations, as he called them) and supporting his claims with cited sources.
Vote Placed by ColeTrain 1 year ago
ColeTrain
ryanbriggs04RoyalsWorldChamps2k15
Who won the debate:-Vote Checkmark
Reasons for voting decision: Con really didn't provide any arguments except passing TDs, which was refuted by Pro -- who also had quite a few arguments (and sources) untouched.