Arganger
Debater181

Stimming Shouldn't be Stopped.

Reasons for your voting decision - Required
The Voting Period Ends In
Updated: 1 week ago Status: Voting Period

Arganger

Pro

Stimming is defined as, "Self-stimulatory behavior, also known as stimming and self-stimulation, is the repetition of physical movements, sounds, or repetitive movement of objects common in individuals with developmental disabilities, but most prevalent in autistic people/people with autism spectrum disorders."

For the sake of this argument we are excluding self harmful stims, such as head banging.

I am arguing that stimming should not be discouraged, or stopped.

You are arguing that it should be discouraged and stopped.
Debater181

Con

As cuttingedgepediatrictherapy.com states,

"The short answer to “Should I stop my child from stimming?” is no. You don’t want to stop it, as long as they’re not harming themselves or another person. These behaviors are calming to the kids. You can, however, limit the stimming in some circumstances." The only time this should be stopped, is when it is harming themselves, of people around them, flapping, yelling, and throwing tantrums.

Arganger

Pro

Flapping is entirely non harmful in anyway as far as I can tell. I hate it when meltdowns are described as tantrums, as it is not misbehaviour.It is the same thing as a panic attack, but pain driven rather than anxiety driven.

https://www.understood.org...

During a meltdown stimming shouldn't be stopped. The reason for this is because stopping a calming behavior like rocking, flapping or spinning could cause the meltdown to last longer and they would have a harder time regulating themselves out of it. Not stimming when you need to is stressful.

https://kirstenlindsmith.wordpress.com...

Stopping stimming is often also associated with abuse that many (Especially nonverbal) autistics go through.

https://juststimming.wordpress.com...
Debater181

Con

Well, when you say that for the "sake of this argument, we are excluding self-harmful stims." Other stims are calming, so self-harmful stims are the ones that should be stopped. Self-harmful stims are harmful to yourself, so I don't know why you want to exclude them for this argument.
Arganger

Pro

The reason that we aren't discussing self harmful stims, (Stims that cause physical harm to the person) is because that is a different and more difficult issue. Many people still believe that stimming in general, such as rocking and flapping, is bad for whatever reason and should be stopped. That is what this is about.
Debater181

Con

When a person has a stim, it doesn't mean that they neccesarily have autism. We cannot stop stimming, as every one has a stim!

Taken from https://childmind.org...;

"I play with my hair while chatting with a friend.

Maybe you bite your nails when you’re nervous or bored.

You may tap your fingers or pencil on a desk while you’re thinking.

I once knew someone who chewed on sticks of cinnamon bark, and I’ve noticed some who move their eyes in an unusual way.

I can recognize certain people from far away just by their distinctive movements. We all know someone who has an annoying stim like cracking their knuckles every 5 minutes or repeating a phrase over and over; or a socially unacceptable stim such as nose-picking or biting oneself."

I sometimes crack my knuckles when I am bored and bite my nails when I am nervous, so don't blame me for partially defending stims.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The stims that should be stopped are the harmul ones. However, rocking and flapping stims should be prevented, but not completely stopped.

from https://www.ambitiousaboutautism.org.uk...;

People stimming can also go through strange-looking physical movements, for instance making faces, stamping, assuming postures that look contorted and uncomfortable from the outside, shaking the head or shrugging the shoulders, and flapping – that is, rapidly shaking or pumping the arms.

All in all, stimming can look very peculiar to people who don’t understand it. Strangers can find it frightening, but in fact the explanation for it is really quite simple: stimming is doing something repetitive for the sensation it creates rather than the result it produces – and that sensation is one that your son or daughter finds pleasing.

sorry if this was too long, it would be more helpful if there were a few more rounds.

Posted by Arganger 2 weeks ago
Arganger
Masterful No. I definitely don't mean that.
Posted by Masterful 2 weeks ago
Masterful
"Self-stimulatory behavior" so you mean masturbating?