UnStupendousMan
Calvincambridge

Story Debate

UnStupendousMan

UnStupendousMan

Pro

This is going to be a story debate. Both parties, bot PRO and CON, build a story together. The debater who creates the more interesting, more well-written and overall superior parts to the story shall be the winner. S/G and conduct will be awarded as usual. Sources will not be given out. Arguments go to the debater whose rounds were better written. Plot, prose and characterization are all going to be important. If there are any questions, you can answer them in the comments.

Four rounds
Two week voting period
72 Hours to argue
8,000 character limit
Vote comments

Only members who are ranked better than me can accept.I look forward to the debate.

And with that, I will begin:

***

Around these parts, there is a legend. No, make that a myth. Because this tale is used to describe how certain natural phenomena came about. What it is is a half-truth. Many of the events that happened that were described in the myth are real, and the people in it, Konrad Rask and Axel Ahlstrom, are certainly not phonies. However, the good of one and the evil of the other are certainly exaggerated. And of course, Konrad and Axel were certainly not in any way special.

So, I tell you what, I'm going to do something that could get me killed. I am going to tell the truth. The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. There's no need messing around with myths that are propagated by those who want us to forget the truth. I am going to tell you Axel's and Konrad's tale.

*

We start our little narrative with Konrad. We meet him as he's running across some great and green forests of a country which has been forgotten by time after The Revelation. Konrad's running as if he was chased by wolves, but no. He was being chased by wild beasts of a different kind. Much deadlier.

Konrad spotted a modest stream. Konrad struggled slowing down while trying to navigate the rough drop-off between the stream and the rest of the forest. Konrad, a small and meager man with undisturbing blond hair and green eyes as green as the forest around him with an intellect superior than the normal obeying simpleton in society, fell flat on his face.

If it was any other day, where he was not being hunted like a fox, he would have moaned and groaned and would be sad at his broken glasses. But Konrad, already beaten and bruised from his trek through the forest, was not wearing glasses as he sprung up, not minding that his whole body ached or needed air or food or plans for the night. Konrad scrambled over to the stream and started sucking as much teeth-hurting cold water as he can. After being a little less the adequately refreshing himself, he looked over his shoulder. Nobody. Not a sound. Konrad still hastened himself from the petite ravine that he was in, knowing that his pursuers should be right on his tail.

The reason for Konrad's desperate attempt at escape is a rather complicated one, and it originates far before his being pursued. It actually starts long before that.

If you want to be technical, this whole thing started with Konrad's kindergarten teacher. She ordered her students' to be seated in desks so that the shortest kid's desk was in the row nearest to her and the tallest kid's locker was the one that was farthest away from her. Which meant that Konrad and Axel were in the exact middle of the classroom. Konrad noticed that he had lots of gummy worms and that the person next to him didn't have any. Konrad, the little communist that he was back then, offered some gummy worms to his classmate. And the pair were sorta-kinda-maybe acquaintances from then on, until much later.

That was the year that they were, by a freak chance, to be roommates in their nation's top engineering school. They, against all odds, forged an excellent compatriotship with each other. For a few years, they were an unstoppable engineering force making companies salivate at the sight of them. Their life was very, very good.

Then The Revelation happened. That stopped everything, including our intrepid duo.

The Revelation really screwed up the world. In fact, of the two effects that were actually important, that was it's most important feature. It destroyed multiple facets of then-modern life: means of transportation and communication, any and all things that operated on electricity, all governance, you know. The sort of stuff that leads to people huddling up together in small xenophobic communities hunting, gathering, and looking for hope.

By then, Konrad wasn't a little Communist anymore and Axel, a large, raven-haired, and quiet man, wasn't receiving gifts from Konrad, whether it was gummy worms or answers to test questions. Instead, Axel, with his meager hunting and gathering skills, was providing for Konrad. It was the least he could do in their situation.
One of those days when Axel stepped out into the world to provide for Konrad, their lives would be altered forevermore.

That particular day was a bad day for Axel. First of all, it was an overcast day. Axel hated overcast days; they dulled the world. He liked the sky to be blue, the grass to be green and the clouds to be white. In addition, it was getting colder, which meant that game was coming harder and harder to come by. Prime example #1 of this phenomena was Axel's haul for the day. He didn't know how he, let alone he and Konrad, were going to survive.

As Axel trudged back from hunting with a little bit less than adequate haul, he, by chance, tripped. His stuff went everywhere. Groaning, Axel cursed Fate’s diabolic sense of humor. And then he looked up, and saw a ghostly white hand that had seemingly seen the likes of a working sink and soap. Looking further up, Axel found a delicate smiling face with two dainty lapis lazuli blue eye flanked by dainty orange-red hair.

“May I help you up?” said the angel.

“Certainly. Who are you?”

"You can call me Eva."

Taking her hand, Axel pulled himself up. He discovered that she was a little bit taller than himself, who was used to being the tallest person in the room. She was dressed in a pure white linen robe that was so far superior to Axel’s supremely worn-out rags for clothes, that Axel was embarrased. Everything about the mysterious lady was in some way better than Axel. Why would she help a mere mortal like him?

“I see that you haven’t had the best of luck with hunting,” said the marvelous woman, “I think that I can help you.”

“You can? How?”

Later, Axel came back with an excess of food for both him and Konrad. Konrad, who was busing himself with building traps, was amazed. Unknown to both of them, Axel had gained more than an abundance of quarry. Konrad, while being a very happy man for the wealth of food, was immediately suspicious.

The other thing that The Revelation, a horrible, firey, apocalyptic, but otherwise very beautiful event, brought with it was something that no sober human had seen before: angels. They had divine abilites that far superceded those of humans. In addition, they were good actors. They were not inherently good, but they were not inherently bad.

On an unrelated note, that night, an old man just so happened to see a forboding shape in the night. He did not investigate it, because it game him the chills. Also that night, the angel Eva was forwarding her plans for Axel.

***
Calvincambridge

Con

Axel went to sleep. It was a night as usual. That was until a loud moan was heard. The horseman of death had been creative with his 3/4 of the earth. Axel heard the noise and screamed " Run". Everyone got their guns and a huge panic had begun. It was total chaos in the camp as a horde of rotting corpses marched their way towards the survivors. There was a mess of screams. Konrad shot a little and ran for his life. He was not tired. He was only very scared. Axel was taken by Eva. He flew up into the sky. He asked her" Where am i going?". The angel did not answer. Demons began to attack Eva and Axel. Eva successfully held them off. Soon they were on a remote uninhabited island. " A prophet like you must be protected" she said to him.
" Me a prophet?"

" Yes"

" I am going to bestow angelic powers on you"

" You are to kill the beast with the number 666 on it"

It was finally morning and Konrad was running across some great and green forests of a country.
UnStupendousMan

Pro

***
The sun low in the sky, Konrad was finally out of steam and adrenaline. Even though he knew that slowing down meant death, Konrad's muscles and lungs and brain would stop working if he kept on going at such a fast pace. He was very, vey lucky that he hadn't come across a ravine, or a cliff, or other impassible terrain. Panting, he looked behind him. Nothing strange to see; nothing bizarre to listen to. Just the forest and it's typical goings on. Konrad wasn't conforted, but was made all the more jittery. He went on, conserving his energy.

A little while later, near the very end of the day and almost time for sunset, he was blessed. Or was it cursed? In any case, he came upon a little town, not unlike the one that Konrad started out in. It looked peaceful, undisturbed. The few people there seemed even to be in a happier state of post-apocalyptic malaise. However, as the sky darkened and the people in the town shuttered up for the night, if he was going by experience with small, wary hamlets and outsiders, then he would not have any chance at all to be at least housed in their community. But trying not to be rejected was a far better option than trying to face his hunters.

Almost everyone was now hunkered down for the night, except for one woman. Not dallying any longer, Konrad went around the town, towards the woman in question. He noticed that the woman, who had black skin and long hair, was holding a deadly-looking rifle. She was a guard; that's why she was standing out in the town at sunset. However, Konrad swollowed hard and summoned up his...

"Who are you?"

The female guard had cought sight of him.

"I repeat, who are you?"

If anything, she sounded desperate.

"I'm a man by the name of Konrad Rask. Who..."

"What do you want?"

"I want to stay for the night."

"How do I know that you aren't going to stay for longer?"

"You can throw me out if I stay."

"Why are you here?"

Konrad sighed. Lying wasn't going to help him here, and neither would telling the truth. Might as well be honest.

"My town was destroyed. I travelled all day thinking that I was being followed. I don't know if I am or not, but I think that it would be probable. I need rest. Maybe I'll act as a forewarning, at least."

The woman looked contemplative. Konrad knew that it was hard living as is, and sympathy was hard to come by. There was no chance in the world that he would have a place to sleep here; he was probably going to be seen as a bad omen of some sort. Unless the impossible happened.

"It's going to get me killed, but I'll let you sleep here tonight."

Konrad was delighted. "Thank you."

The woman ushered Konrad into her hovel without sound.

At that same time, there was a presence in the town that Konrad had flown from. In it were the corpses of those who were massacred, going into rigor mortis. Eva the angel was above them. She was harvesting their souls, fresh, high quality souls. She was going to need them later. She turned to the angel of death and his undead army. She smiled.

The next morning, Konrad woke up on the floor of the guard's home. She had left the door slightly open.Outside was a throng of people in the bright light. Konrad stood himself up, even though he pained badly and had a massive headache. The small crowd outside was whispering among itself. At it's center... Konrad couldn't tell. He moved closer to the door to try to discern who was in the mass of people, but then remembered that he was not a welcome visitor. He stayed back.

A voice came through.

"Yes, people of this establishment, there is a monster out there."

A voice that was familiar with Konrad.

"It is branded with the devil's number, six hundred sixty six. It is out there to bring the end of the world as we know it."

A voice that Konrad knew for a long, long time.

"Nevermore has there been a threat to all of humanity as this beast. And I am here to destroy it."

A voice that Konrad first heard when he offered the person that owned it gummy worms in kindergarten.

"All I ask you is for hospitality while we prepare for it's arrival."

And Konrad did not know why it was making baseless promises like a politician.

A person moved and Konrad could clearly see Axel clearly. Something was different about him--maybe it was the light, but Konrad seemed better rested, well-kept, and better looking. Beside him was a woman with pale skin almost to the point of whiteness with delicate features with lapis lazuli blue eyes that were flanked by red-orange hair. She was smiling, standing proudly next to Axel like she is the first lady to his president. Konrad has absolutely no idea who this pristine projection is.

A man apparently has many of the same questions that Konrad has.

"Why are YOU the one that is going to save us all?"

"Good question, sir," replied the new Axel. He pulled out a sword. Konrad at first was quizzical, because he had never even seen Axel and a sword in the same room; his mood turned to shocked when his blue blade of a sword started cackling with electricity.

"This, kind sir, is the only weapon that can slay such a beast. Are you in possession of such?"

Although Konrad couldn't see it, the silence suggested that he was shaking his head.

"Certainly not. You may depart"

After the crowd broke up, the female guard emerges from the throng and comes back to where Konrad is sitting. She looks bewildered.

"Who IS this guy, and who do he think he is?"

"I know him. His name is Axel Ahlstrom. He's quite normally a shy guy."

"Doesn't seem like it."

"Something's changed."

"Did he come from the same..."

"Yes."

"Then whatever destroyed yours must be coming soon. But I doubt that they would listen to me if I revealed that I was harbored a freeloader. Do you think that it would be the same thing?"

"I doubt it. I fought an army of undead, not a single beast."

"So we are in a whole lot of trouble."

Konrad shrugged. "Not... that this is relevant, but what's your name?'

"Viola."

After the sun went down, Konrad decided that he was going to reunite with his old friend. He sneaked out of Viola's house into the night. Suprisingly, Konrad found Axel and his angel counterpart quickly. The angel was illuminating the light around herself like a ethereal orb. Before Konrad let himself be seen, he watched the pair intently. From what he could see, the angel was teaching Axel fighting techniques to be used against the beast. She seemed to be an excellent teacher, but of course Konrad had never seen anybody teach sword fighting. After a while, Konrad stepped out from behind the tree he was hiding behind. Axel spotted him immediately.

"Konrad!" he said, as he exuded exuberance all over the man who he was addressing. Quite unlike the normal Axel. He bear-hugged Konrad much tighter than he realized, making Konrad aware of his newfound super-strength even before the owner of the strength really knew it. Eva, who Konrad finally learned the name of, looked on and smiled quaintly as Konrad and Axel talked about the last couple of days. Axel was really excited to see his old buddy alive and well. Konrad was worried about his friend's sudden change in personality, although he never mentioned this to Axel. Konrad left the conversation deeply troubled, like something was little by little brainwashing his compadre. And, indeed, something was.

Axel turned back to Eva. Eva said, in her perfect voice, "I think that's enough sword fighting for now; I have something to present to you. It's a very powerful angelic relic that will become one of your most powerful weapons against the beast." Axel's eyes lit up, and Eva beckoned Axel further into the forest. One there, Eva gave Axel a wolf-fur belt with a gossamer sheen. Eva gave it to Axel, warning: "Whoever puts this on becomes a supremely powerful entity. Use it wisely." Axel put it on, and Eva marveled at her creation, and at the magic a belt made out of souls could do. She didn't let him have it long, for fear of her secret plans being exposed.
Calvincambridge

Con

Just as Axel was on his way to fight the beast a huge orb of lighting hit the ground. Konrad was unconscious. Axel was knocked back only a little. Eva was dying. A voice said
" Who dares destroy my pets?". A creature missing an arm rose up. It was huge. It had a white body. It had one red eye. He said " Kill this". A huge monster appeared. Axel and Konrad quickly ran.
UnStupendousMan

Pro

***

Axel was absolutely terrified. What kind of monster was this? It was tremendously gargantuan, larger than any animal that Axel had ever seen or thought possible. It was violently red, as if it was ablaze with some sort of supernatural fire. It probably was. A frightening orange glow followed it. It smelt of smoke and ash and it sounded like a rusty machine aflame as it moved through the underbrush, destroying it as the beast went. If Axel had to compare it to any other animal on earth, he would have to think for a second before saying that it was somewhat ursine, but it was much, much more fearsome than a bear. He wouldn't be surprised if the monstrosity was forged in Satan's personal forges.

Through the dark forest scrambled Axel, with the devil's creation right on his heels. Dodging trees that came up unexpectedly, watching for roots or rocks that may trip him up. Axel took a brief look back at what was chasing him, he found that it was much, much closer than was comfterable for him. He knew that Also, he tripped.

The beast pounced, but overshot by a laughable margin. It didn't get it's prey, but instead barreled through trees which were toothpicks to it's awesome size and force. The satanic creature somehow made a gash in the woods that was approximately 100 yards long. Axel got up. He tried a little too quickly to get out his electric sword, and likewise fumbled. The beast rose, shook itself, and started running at Axel as if it hadn't gone through a football field of trees. Axel eventually got out his blade. To Axel's shock and delight, when he got out the sword and swung it, let out a bolt of lightning at the monster. The beast gave out a roar of pain and stumbled back a little. However, it wasn't about to give in to a few million volts of electricity.

Out of a fit of bravery and egotism, Axel rushed forward. Swinging his sword to create the lightning, he drove back the beast. However, the beast wasn't a dumb barbaric creature, it was a fairly smart barbaric creature. Axel was getting close enough to strike at the beast. He started to stab the beast in what he assumed was the beast's heart, but the beast swatted Axel away, sending him flying. Now more than a mere mortal, Axel got up and was ready for the beast's counter-attack. The satanic creature jumped to capture Axel between it's paws, but Axel dived and sent a bolt of lighting at the beast. Axel knew that he couldn't do this forever, and he would eventually loose to the monster. He needed to get an edge on the beast. He then remembered the wolf-pelt belt with a gossamer sheen, and the power that it gave him. It was with Eva.

Axel dashed into the forest, going back the way he came, except that it was now the smoldering and ash-covered carnage that the beast left in it's tracks. The only thing that Axel forgot about was the handler of the beast without an arm and with paper-white skin. However, the handler apparently forgot about himself too, as he was not there when Axel arrived. Eva was pale, translucent, and almost unconcious. Arriving at her side, Axel found that she was badly hurt, but still had the belt. She looked up with effort. "Take the belt" she said, her immaculate voice burdened with incomprehendable pain. Axel put on the belt. He turned to face the beast, which was running at him at full speed.

Instantly, the power that the belt held flooded into Axel. He became stronger. Faster. He gained stamina. His senses became keener. He was in a microsecond a vastly powerful being far beyond that of a superhuman. And the belt was only just beginning to do it's job. It next started to affect Axel's corporeal form. His body began to grow. His muscles began to bulge and bulk. His face contorted. And still he was getting mightier, quicker, sharper, all of it. Somewhere along the way, he dropped the sword. He didn't need it. At the end of his transformation, Axel was something like a minotaur, except horrifyingly real and alarmingly mighty. He was as large as the beast, and was eager to show off his newfound capacities. He was now a beast in his own right.

Axel and the beast flung against each other. Two titans were now clashing. Initially, the beast, with it's momentum, knocked down Axel. But minotaur Axel launched the beast far, far away. Axel ran after it, creating a wake of wanton destruction behind him. They again met up and wrangled with each other. Their fighting moved them, bit by bit, toward the town, which was eventually woken up to the sounds of the fierce, fierce struggle.

Konrad, who had stealthily managed to get back into Viola's house without her noticing, was one of the first ones up. The sun was just beginning to light the sky. Konrad woke up Viola to investigate the sound. She didn't have to wait long. The beast was propelled into the town, right into the center. Minotaur Axel came right after it. The duel behemoths started battling with disregard for the city. If a townsperson was not awake by now, they were probably dead. They were either in one of two states: in awe or screaming while running away. Konrad was part of the former. He stared in wonder and horror as the huge fire bear and the equally gigantic minotaur quarreled violently. He did not notice, at first, an angel with delicate features and red-orange hair come out of the forest, frantic, but not hurt in any way shape or form.

But after a while, and after the minotaur was pile-drived by the beast, Konrad did notice Eva. Quickly, and avoiding the two leviathans, he came over to the angel who's heart looked like it was crushed by an anvil. He asked her what was wrong, aside from the two battling monsters.

"Oh, Axel has been cursed by the devil! He's been cursed by the devil! He's to be a horrible gargoyle all his life!" Her voice was utterly and completely distraught, and each word was surrounded by a sob.

Konrad glanced at the monstrosities.

"Is he the one with a bull for a head?"

"Oh, yes! What terrible fate!"

"So why is he fighting the other thing?"

"He's been compelled to fight Satan's personal hound til either one of them dies!"

"Does he have his sword?"

"No, he dropped it as the devilish beast was mauling him."

"Can I see it?"

She pulled out the electric sword from it's sheath. Konrad was looking it over when the mammoth creatures caught their attention again.

What they saw was the minotaur pinning the beast to the ground. The beast was emitting a low, metallic growl, as though it still had a chance. The low, dark chuckling sounds that were eminating from a smiling minotaur Axel told otherwise. Then, a sound of rusty machinery being torn apart as the minotaur Axel ripped the torso of the beast apart from it's hind. And with the torso raised to the sun, Axel ripped it apart. He roared loudly with one half of what was once was the beast's body in one massive hand and the other half in the other hand. The beast died, and unknown to anybody and everybody, so did what was once Axel.

As the minotaur celebrated grotesquely his victory over the beast, the last of the memories and will that were Axel disappeared into a opaque haze of power. The belt made out of the souls that the late Axel once knew was designed to make power surge throughout his whole body, and not only disfigure his corporeal form, but also alter his mind and self. What was formally Axel was now a nameless drunkard for power, willing to destroy anything and everything for his next high. He would even annihilate the person who gave him gummy worms for it. And every drink of the cup of power made him larger and stronger. Eva had found the perfect steed for her plans of power for her own, using angelic constructions like the supposed angel of death and his undead army and the beast with a little bit of good acting to put her plan into action. And she was almost there.

She didn't account for was a certain sneek who witnessed Axel's first encounter with the gossamer belt taking the electric sword and cutting off her hands.
Calvincambridge

Con

Calvincambridge forfeited this round.
UnStupendousMan

Pro

Author's note:

This is turning, truly, into a mockery. I wonder why my opponent accepted this debate with the amount of effort he has put into it. While I have certainly labored over this, my opponent hasn't. His forfeiture makes it very, very clear that he does not care. The amount of work that he has put in for the entire debate has not equaled the amount of heart and soul that I put into one argument. I am sickened by this, and will not write an argument this round. I have no more patience with my opponent and with this debate. Please vote PRO.
Calvincambridge

Con

Calvincambridge forfeited this round.
Posted by UnStupendousMan 4 years ago
UnStupendousMan
Since my opponent has forfeitted a round... what should I do?
Posted by UnStupendousMan 4 years ago
UnStupendousMan
@TUF: Thanks for the compliment. I'm planning to do more of these, and I will look forward to making another story debate. However, I don't want to use the same story line over and over and over again, because that will get boring. And I agree that Calvin ruined the debate.
Posted by TUF 4 years ago
TUF
Anyways, USM, I like your writing style, and you have a phenomonal vocabulary. My only advice would be to proof read this before posting, as I noticed quite a few grammar errors (your spelling seemed to be fine). It sounds like a very interesting plot and story line. I might also say to add a little more clarification and emphasis on the actual event of the revelation. Maybe Go into more detail of what that was like, what specific consequences followed, and how exactly devasting it was. Maybe more clarification on what angels are, and why they were brought from the Revelation, etc.
Posted by TUF 4 years ago
TUF
God NVM. Calvin you ruined this debate. USM if you would like a serious opponent who will write a full drawn response, I'd be more than happy to do one of these with you.
Posted by TUF 4 years ago
TUF
Oh yes, someone please post this on my profile. Ima start reading this... :D
Posted by TUF 4 years ago
TUF
Posted by UnStupendousMan 4 years ago
UnStupendousMan
@ASauce: Hopefully I will put the potential back into the story. I have a few tricks up my sleeve. ; )
Posted by Awesome-Sauce 4 years ago
Awesome-Sauce
Really Calvin? Not trying to be mean but you destroyed the potential for this story
Posted by UnStupendousMan 4 years ago
UnStupendousMan
After I do this one, I'll do one with you, KRF (if I can call you that).
Posted by KRFournier 4 years ago
KRFournier
Okay, now I feel bad for not taking this. @UnStupendousMan, I'm willing to do one of these with you. No zombies. :)
Vote Placed by thett3 4 years ago
thett3
UnStupendousManCalvincambridgeTied
Reasons for voting decision: Lol
Vote Placed by vmpire321 4 years ago
vmpire321
UnStupendousManCalvincambridgeTied
Reasons for voting decision: L0L
Vote Placed by Stephen_Hawkins 4 years ago
Stephen_Hawkins
UnStupendousManCalvincambridgeTied
Reasons for voting decision: Obvious troll is obvious.
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 4 years ago
RoyLatham
UnStupendousManCalvincambridgeTied
Reasons for voting decision: If con didn't want to participate, he shouldn't have accepted.
Vote Placed by Man-is-good 4 years ago
Man-is-good
UnStupendousManCalvincambridgeTied
Reasons for voting decision: It's simple: Con refused--or could not--execute his duty of continuing the story further and did not elaborate or wish to extend it to a reasonable point; that, and his forfeits, let readers know who was the obvious winner here.
Vote Placed by Xerge 4 years ago
Xerge
UnStupendousManCalvincambridgeTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited the last two rounds which loses him conduct. Pro also put more effort in story building.
Vote Placed by socialpinko 4 years ago
socialpinko
UnStupendousManCalvincambridgeTied
Reasons for voting decision: Yo dawg, I heard forfeiting multiple rounds concedes arguments and gives Pro the conduct vote.
Vote Placed by Ore_Ele 4 years ago
Ore_Ele
UnStupendousManCalvincambridgeTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con provided almost nothing to the story, only a few paragraphs and ultimately forfeited 1/2 of the rounds.