YoungHoole
DiablosChaosBroker

Straight Hair is Better than Curly Hair for Normal People.

YoungHoole

Pro

In reality, having straight hair makes it easier to groom and maintain ingeneral. I will let my opponent begin with their argument! Thanks so much! :)
DiablosChaosBroker

Con

My opponent has the burden of proof to prove that straight hair is better than curly hair for normal people. In other words, prove it. By saying straight hair is better, my opponents says that it has more benefits than curly hair. My opponent has yet to define "normal people."

Two benefits that my opponent stated is that straight hair makes it easier to groom and maintain in general. Without any evidence, my opponent has placed merely an unwarranted opinion.

I argue that curly hair is better in some ways since according to research published in the August 2007 American Journal of Physics, curly hair is less likely to get tangled than straight hair. Source: http://physicsbuzz.physicscentral.com...

I argue that curly hair is more carefree and fun rather than just being plain.

According to http://jyte.com..., more people prefer curly hair.

Of course, this is a matter of preference than a fact. But in order to prove that straight hair is better than curly hair, my opponent needs to support with evidence/sources.
YoungHoole

Pro

First off, I would like to thank my opponent for accepting this debate. I'd also like to say my opponent also has the burden of proof, to not only provide the pros of curly hair, but the cons of straight hair AND provide counterarguments for each of my points.

"My opponent has the burden of proof to prove that straight hair is better than curly hair for normal people."

I believe that I said my opponent could begin.

"My opponent has yet to define 'normal people.'"

Normal - adjective 1. conforming to the standard or the common type; usual; not abnormal; regular; natural.

People - noun 1. human beings, as distinguished from animals or other beings.

(http://dictionary.reference.com...)

Therefore, you can conclude that a "normal person" is a regular human being. I assume that because my opponent cannot even look up "normal person" or infer what a "normal person" is, they will not be able to provide an intelligent argument.

"Two benefits that my opponent stated is that straight hair makes it easier to groom and maintain in general. Without any evidence, my opponent has placed merely an unwarranted opinion."

Actually, I have curly hair, so it IS a warranted opinion.

(In case you did not know what warranted was, it means "Justification for an action or a belief". I do not need justification to state my own opinion on a DEBATE site.)

"I argue that curly hair is more carefree and fun rather than just being plain."

This is merely an opinion, and could not be counted as an argument.

"According to http://jyte.com......, more people prefer curly hair."

Four votes is not an accurate consensus of the general population's opinion.

There are many reasons that straight hair is better than curly hair:

i.)Females with curly hair have to blow dry it every night if they want it tangle-free and easier to manage.
ii.)If you want to style curly hair into a different texture (waves, crimped hair), you must straighten it before curling to keep it from frizzing.
iii.)Generally, you must use anti-frizz and/or leave in conditioner in your hair if you want it to have a sleek texture.
iv.)Time is wasted daily for curly haired people—if you do not like your curly hair's texture, you have to straighten it before curl/braid/style it. (My source? First hand experience and complaints from friends.) A person with straight hair could simply curl/braid/style it however they like.
DiablosChaosBroker

Con

"I'd also like to say my opponent also has the burden of proof, to not only provide the pros of curly hair, but the cons of straight hair AND provide counterarguments for each of my points."

Correct me if I am wrong, YoungHoole, you were the one who requested the debate and decidedly chose to make the claim that "Straight Hair is Better than Curly Hair for Normal People." You're making the positive claim so you have burden of proof. My purpose as the contender is to refute any reasons you have for the resolution. I don't have prove that curly hair is better than straight hair for normal people. I can prove that curly hair is not better or worse than straight hair for normal people which would negate the resolution. Disproving all your reasons for the resolution would be enough to negate the resolution automatically.

"I believe that I said my opponent could begin."

I did. Do not assume that by saying that statement you could easily deflect the burden of proof to your opponent.

"I assume that because my opponent cannot even look up "normal person" or infer what a "normal person" is, they will not be able to provide an intelligent argument."

Do not commit to ad hominem attacks just because I ask you to define something. I didn't insult you, so where's your reason to insult me. I asked you for a definition, because I could interpret "normal people" differently than what you intended which would lead to semantics and ruin the debate.

"Actually, I have curly hair, so it IS a warranted opinion."

Your opinion is automatically unwarranted then because you give no evidence/sources to back up your claims.
Here are your claims: 1)having straight hair makes it easier to groom and 2) maintain in general.
On a debate site, you need evidence or no one has any justification to believe your claims.

Curly hair is beautiful and when properly cared for, very easy to maintain.
Source: http://www.ehow.com...

"This is merely an opinion, and could not be counted as an argument."

You stated two opinions so I counter it with my own.

"Four votes is not an accurate consensus of the general population's opinion."

OK, I concede that point. However, you didn't provide any argument yet and you still hold the burden of proof.

"i.)Females with curly hair have to blow dry it every night if they want it tangle-free and easier to manage."

Proof/Evidence? Here's a tip from http://www.ehow.com...: Do not blow dry curly hair. It will cause damage and frizz.

Also from http://physicsbuzz.physicscentral.com..., I already stated that curly hair is less likely to get tangled than straight hair.

Proof/Evidence? You can just have a leave-in conditioner, a deep conditioner and a styling product involving silicone to eliminate the fizz.

Also, this does not apply to people who prefer curly hair and if you were born with curly hair, 90 percent (if not more) women with straight hair have been jealous of your hair at some point.

True; the pros and cons of having curly hair is:
Pros: the body and the fact you don't suffer from Oily Hair Syndrome and therefore have to wash your hair every day. Cons: the frizz and Puffy Hair Syndrome, which tends to happen in high humidity and when the hairdresser gets too snip-happy.

As you can see, straight hair is neither better or worse than straight hair.

iv.)Time is wasted daily for curly haired people—if you do not like your curly hair's texture, you have to straighten it before curl/braid/style it.

Sources from complaints from friends and first hand experience is unwarranted given that you can make this facts up.
Women with limp, stick-straight hair spend hours of their lives with curling irons trying to mimic what comes naturally with people that have curly hair. So the time daily wasted for curly haired people is negated by the time daily wasted for straight hair people trying to change their hair also.

If you have straight hair, you need a hair stylist cut your hair every four to six weeks to remove any split ends. Straight hair is probably the most prone to split ends and should be treated gently.

Source: http://beauty.about.com...
http://www.wikihow.com...

If you have straight hair you will probably have to shampoo every day, but with curly hair, you need to limit the amount of times you wash with shampoo.

I argue that curly hair is much more fun to look at, play with, and to twirl and many people are envious of the regal qualities of curly hair. Straight hair might be super-cute, but curls are way more unique and pretty!

Source: http://www.wikihow.com...

Conclusion: Straight hair is neither better or worse than curly hair.
YoungHoole

Pro

"You're making the positive claim so you have burden of proof. My purpose as the contender is to refute any reasons you have for the resolution. I can prove that curly hair is not better or worse than straight hair for normal people which would negate the resolution. Disproving all your reasons for the resolution would be enough to negate the resolution automatically."

You are CON, which means that you are trying to prove AGAINST the topic. Both sides must prove their point and refute their opponent's points.

"I did. Do not assume that by saying that statement you could easily deflect the burden of proof to your opponent."

You told me that I had yet to provide points after I told you that you could begin. That means YOU can start, and I'll give my points and refute yours after you post your first argument. The first thing I posted was an introduction, not an argument.

"Do not commit to ad hominem attacks just because I ask you to define something. I didn't insult you, so where's your reason to insult me. I asked you for a definition, because I could interpret "normal people" differently than what you intended which would lead to semantics and ruin the debate."

It was not meant to be an insult; just an assumption. :)

"Here are your claims: 1)having straight hair makes it easier to groom and 2) maintain in general."

I posted more in the previous argument and will post more in this one.

"Curly hair is beautiful and when properly cared for, very easy to maintain.
Source: http://www.ehow.com...;

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The maintenance of hair depends on the person, too. Straight hair could be easier to take care of for one person and harder for another. The source you provided shows HOW to maintain curly hair, not factual evidence that curly hair is easier to maintain than straight hair.

"Proof/Evidence? Here's a tip from http://www.ehow.com......: Do not blow dry curly hair. It will cause damage and frizz.

Also from http://physicsbuzz.physicscentral.com......, I already stated that curly hair is less likely to get tangled than straight hair."

This differs from person to person. Once again, the first source is an article that shows HOW to maintain curly hair. This does not mean that straight hair is harder to deal with than curly hair.

"Proof/Evidence? You can just have a leave-in conditioner, a deep conditioner and a styling product involving silicone to eliminate the fizz."

After you use leave-in conditioner, you still have to style it after, especially if you want to change the texture.

"Also, this does not apply to people who prefer curly hair and if you were born with curly hair, 90 percent (if not more) women with straight hair have been jealous of your hair at some point."

Proof/Evidence? How would you know who women are jealous of?

"As you can see, straight hair is neither better or worse than straight hair."

Assuming you mean that straight hair is neither better nor worse than CURLY hair, you aren't proving your point or disproving mine--merely negating it. Once again, it is your responsibility as con, or against the topic, you must prove the converse of the topic you are debating about.

"Sources from complaints from friends and first hand experience is unwarranted given that you can make this facts up."

I did not make this up--however, it was not meant to be a fact, merely an opinion.

"Women with limp, stick-straight hair spend hours of their lives with curling irons trying to mimic what comes naturally with people that have curly hair."

Proof/Evidence?

"If you have straight hair you will probably have to shampoo every day, but with curly hair, you need to limit the amount of times you wash with shampoo."

"Pros: the body and the fact you don't suffer from Oily Hair Syndrome and therefore have to wash your hair every day. Cons: the frizz and Puffy Hair Syndrome, which tends to happen in high humidity and when the hairdresser gets too snip-happy."

Shampoo and conditioner is used to moisturize and wash hair. I thought you said that curly-haired people had frizzy hair. Moisturizing your hair will help reduce frizz.

"Straight hair might be super-cute, but curls are way more unique and pretty!"

As mentioned before, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

"Conclusion: Straight hair is neither better or worse than curly hair."

You are not proving your point nor disproving mine.

I will restate my valid points:

i.) Changing the texture of curly hair is difficult compared to straight hair.
ii.) Straight hair is low maintenance--from a website provided by my opponent, it states that you cannot brush curly hair (which makes it tangle).
iii.) My opponent has not provided any pros for curly hair, other than the fact that it's "beautiful", but that is determined by an individual's opinion.

In conclusion, straight hair is easier to deal with, requires less maintenance, and is easier to have while dealing with problems such as lice or dandruff. For the regular person who washes their hair on a regular basis and brushes and styles it daily, curly hair poses more problems and is much harder to tame and keep in place. Straight hair on the other hand, can be brushed and quickly styled. Straight hair is easier to deal with and has no cons, which Con failed to provide. Thanks for the debate!
DiablosChaosBroker

Con

DiablosChaosBroker forfeited this round.
Posted by rangersfootballclub 8 years ago
rangersfootballclub
i hate you both :)
Posted by YoungHoole 8 years ago
YoungHoole
Excuses don't matter. Also, you had two days to post your argument.
Posted by DiablosChaosBroker 8 years ago
DiablosChaosBroker
I was busy with too much homework.
Posted by YoungHoole 8 years ago
YoungHoole
Hey, why did you forfeit?! I thought that you could have come up with a good argument in the last round!! :)
Posted by YoungHoole 8 years ago
YoungHoole
"The topic of this debate seems a little pointless to me, seeing as people who have naturally curly hair can do nothing to change it, and vice versa."

You can get a perm. :D
Posted by YoungHoole 8 years ago
YoungHoole
It's just a fun debate. A lot of debate on here are pretty useless. Most of us can't do much to change a lot of things, but people still debate on them.
Posted by girlforgod21 8 years ago
girlforgod21
The topic of this debate seems a little pointless to me, seeing as people who have naturally curly hair can do nothing to change it, and vice versa.
rangersfootballclub
lkol this isnt a debate ...

but even though i have straight hair , i thyink having curly hair shows somethign about yourself .

also if you have a cows flick like me , curly hair would be useful to hide it as , i have tried everything to get rid of it , it never disappears !
Vote Placed by YoungHoole 8 years ago
YoungHoole
YoungHooleDiablosChaosBrokerTied
Vote Placed by DiablosChaosBroker 8 years ago
DiablosChaosBroker
YoungHooleDiablosChaosBrokerTied