Methodius
Messiah

Stranger Danger ?

Methodius

Con

Stranger danger describes the perceived danger to children presented by strangers. The phrase is intended to sum up the various concerns associated with the malevolent threat presented by unknown adults. (Thank you Wikipedia for that beautiful summary: http://en.wikipedia.org...)

Anyways, like it says up there--the term is associated with the malevolent threat presented by unknown adults. Now, I'm going to switch up a few key words and you'll understand why in a moment. For this debate, I'm going to have fun and say that the term, "Stranger Danger", is a term associated with the malevolent threat presented by "unknown creatures."

After reading an article on Yahoo!'s front page a little while back about Stephen Hawking's warning about meeting aliens and how we should avoid them instead of seeking them out. I think he made an interesting statement when he said: "If aliens ever visit us, I think the outcome would be much as when Christopher Columbus first landed in America, which didn't turn out very well for the Native Americans."

Anyways, my point is--does his mathematical brain in any way give him the insight on a creature's character? A creature that we've never studied or honestly laid eyes on (that we know of)? I think not.

Obviously, I'm against this. I'm not saying we should seek them out per say, but I'm not saying we should avoid them either.
Can a brother get a pro?
Messiah

Pro

Thanks for the debate my good sir. It should be an interesting one. Kind of vague topic though....never the less....let the debate begin.

Since this is a vague topic and my opponent's argument seems a little vague, as well as what he is advocating, I will clearly set the debate parameters. The Pro claim or position in this debate is to prove how stranger danger correct, and the Con position is to disprove that, hence saying stranger danger is false. So Pro is proving that there is a rational perceived danger presented to children by adults. Con is saying that is irrational.

Yes wiki, beautiful summary. We can agree on that in this debate, but not my opponent's reworded definition.

His only argument deals with the notion that we cannot have insight into a stranger's mind, thus not knowing their character or intent. This is absolutely true, but only works toward the Pro side. Since we don't know someone's intent, we shouldn't take the chance. Like my Momma always said, "Better safe than dead".

No, I agree my opponent isn't saying we seek them out, but he is missing the rationale behind why we encourage children to steer clear of strangers. Not abiding by stranger danger is putting children in potential danger.
------------------------------------------------
Contention 1- Strangers are unpredictable
Since strangers are people you don't know, you do not know how they will act. They could just as soon threaten you with a gun as give you candy. The idea behind this is better safe than sorry. In the Con world, children and strangers live together, sometimes interacting. This has no benefits, no reason to vote this. In the Pro world, children steer clear of strangers. This has no harms, and unlimited benefits seeing as we don't know how many children we save.

The impact of all this is the Pro is saving inumerable rights by agreeing that "stranger danger" is a rational idea. It has no harms, no reason to negate because my opponent provides no benefit or reason to negate. Back to you, Con. =)
Methodius

Con

Methodius forfeited this round.
Messiah

Pro

Messiah forfeited this round.
Methodius

Con

Methodius forfeited this round.
Messiah

Pro

Messiah forfeited this round.
Methodius

Con

Methodius forfeited this round.
Messiah

Pro

Messiah forfeited this round.
Posted by Messiah 7 years ago
Messiah
Sorry, I was crucified