CarmenDW
DivaExcel

Stretching Before Practice is Crucial to a Dancer's Skills

CarmenDW has forfeited round #3.
Started: 11/13/2017 Category: Arts

CarmenDW

Pro

Time and time again my fellow dance friends tell me how they don't have time to stretch and end up succeeding or failing in class. Many say how important it is, while others say how unimportant it is. Will you present an argument on why it isn't important?
DivaExcel

Con

Well, I might not win this debate but here goes:

It's not really that crucial because stretching is to loosen up the muscles and joints but as long as you've been walking around or using your arms and legs recently, that's enough stretching. And stretching doesn't affect a dancer's skills. It's not everyone who gets muscle cramps frequently. It's only there as a safety precaution to prevent muscles cramps but aside that, it's not that important.
CarmenDW

Pro

My component has mentioned that simply just walking around can loosen your muscles so that you are set for practice.

Now here is where I BEG to differ. Many dance warmups and or stretches involve coordination, legwork, extensions, and more. These warm-ups are all important because just like doing math drills can better your school work, stretching improves dancing. Although that is not the point of the issue, it is still very important.

Now back to the issue. I believe stretching before physical activity is beneficial for a variety of reasons. It helps increase range of motion, reduces muscle tension, and helps decrease the risk of activity-based injuries. Stretching after exercising is also just as great because it can help decrease muscle soreness! Also, greater gains in flexibility are possible once your body is warm.
DivaExcel

Con

Stretching isn't crucial to a dancer's skills. Let's take a minute to look at the meaning of crucial:

crucial (adj): (1) decisive or critical, especially in the success or failure of something.
(2) of great importance

Stretching isn't all that important as people make it out be. It isn't crucial to a dancer's skills. It is only crucial and important to a dancer's muscles. Those two are completely different things.

If a dancer also exercises and works out, he/she doesn't need to stretch before practice. Even simple exercises, like jumping jacks, is enough warming up.
Posted by CarmenDW 2 months ago
CarmenDW
YOU ARE MENTAL!! go see a psychiatrist!!
Posted by Cute_Pirate 2 months ago
Cute_Pirate
DONT SWEAR CUS CARMEN MIGHT END UP WALKING AROUND WITH NO PANTS AFTER SHE CRAPS HERSELF!

BWHAHAHA

FIGHT ME.

pease.