jadelynn132
thett3

Strict Parents create more troubled Adults.

Con Tied Pro
Reasons for your voting decision - Required

jadelynn132

Con

This will be my first starting debate! Be as hard on me as you can! My argument is that Parents that give more restrictions to their children, in turn, create more self-destructive, or troubled Adults.

Troubled Adults- Adults that are in trouble often with the law, have difficulty in social settings or relationships, and/or are too hard on themselves in terms of self-esteem.

I will be arguing against this statment. Pro is to argue the affirmative.
thett3

Pro

Alright, post your argument and I'll attempt to refute it. Good luck Con!
jadelynn132

Con

jadelynn132 forfeited this round.
thett3

Pro

Since my Opponent did not post a case, I will present my arguments.

First I need to make an observation: this debate will be comparing children with strict parents to children with normal/average parents. It is not about whether or not neglectful parents are more harmful than strict ones.

My argument for this round will not be divided into traditional contentions, instead I will affirm that children with strict parents are more troubled as adults using my Opponents definition.

Social Settings:

Children with strict parents lack the social skills that their differently-parented peers have. Dr. Laura Markham[1] affirms that strict parents make children more inclined to bully other children, based on their parents authoritarian example. Furthermore, children with strict parents learn that "power is always right, they learn to obey and not think for themselves. Research has consistently shown that children with moderate parents have the most "social competence".[2]

Law:

Again according to Dr. Laura Markham, "Studies show that children raised with a strict parenting style tend to be more angry and rebellious as teenagers and young adults." The law is not exempt from this rebellion. I ask my Opponent, and the judges reading this, to think back to their childhood. Regardless of how strict your parents were, I am sure there was at least one time where their discouragement of something you wanted to do actually encouraged you to do it! This happens to children with strict parents all the time. My Opponent might state that my evidence only specifies young adults and children. That is true, but let us not forget that the behaviors and attitudes we form during our childhood often stick with us forever. If these children form a bad habit of rule breaking and see no reason behind rules (because their parents are so strict and create a ridiculous amount of rules) then when they become adults it is extremely likely that they will be more inclined to break the law.

Relationships:

This one is easy, children with strict parents either A) take after their parents example and when in a relationship attempt to take control of their partner, which clearly is not a good formula for a lasting relationship. or B) are so used to submitting to their parents will that they will do the same for their partner. Again if one member of a relationship has all the power, than it is not a true relationship. While these two things do not, of course, ALWAYS occur it is logical to assume that children with strict parents are more likely to have these problems.

Self-esteem

This one is also easy. According to an article from the Spanish Journal of Physcology "studies measuring the impact of parenting on self esteem have illustrated that adolescents from indulgent or moderate homes have higher self esteem than ones from authoritarian homes." [3] This proves that strict parenting causes children to have lower self esteem, a trait that they will carry on into adulthood.

Since I have answered all of the part of my Opponents definition, and she has provided no case so far, I strongly urge you to affirm.

1. http://www.ahaparenting.com...
2. http://www.aboutourkids.org...
3. http://www.ucm.es...
jadelynn132

Con

jadelynn132 forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by ShabShoral 7 months ago
ShabShoral
jadelynn132thett3Tied
Reasons for voting decision: pro is a dumbo
Vote Placed by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
jadelynn132thett3Tied
Vote Placed by Zarroette 2 years ago
Zarroette
jadelynn132thett3Tied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by catsrule 5 years ago
catsrule
jadelynn132thett3Tied
Reasons for voting decision: 4fit.