Strict foods and nutrition guidelines be enforced in all public schools

Subject: Strict foods and nutrition guidelines be enforced in all public schools

I pro will argue for the subject.

Con will argue against the subject.

Strict food and nutrition guidelines are needed to prevent obesity. Obesity is no joking matter as seen below.

"Morbidity secondary to overweight and obesity include type 2 diabetes, dislipemia, hypertension, heart disease, cerebrovascular disease, cholelithiasis, osteoarthritis, heart insufficiency, sleep apnoea, menstrual changes, sterility and psychological alterations." Nutr Hosp. 2004 Nov-Dec;19(6):319-24.

"Obesity is increasingly being recognized as a risk factor for a number of benign and malignant gastrointestinal conditions. However, literature on the underlying pathophysiological mechanisms is sparse and ambiguous. There is compelling evidence that both overnutrition and undernutrition negatively interfere with the immune system. Overnutrition has been found to increase susceptibility to the development of inflammatory diseases, autoimmune diseases and cancer" World J Gastroenterol. 2010 Oct 14; 16(38): 4762"4772.

I always feel very mad and preposterous at school lunch time when I see hungry kids from my high school throwing their uneaten, untouched trays straight into the trashcan just because of the fact that they are unsatisfied with the quality or taste of their food.
My high school, along with other schools in the district, is very strict on enforcing strict foods and nutritional guidelines as the state I live is, in fact, the most obese state in the country now, and I myself speaks as a high school student encountering others suffering through this terrible deed.
First off, the students are not satisfied these healthier school lunches enforced of federal guidelines limiting calories, fat, and other "unhealthy" nutritional aspects in the meals they serve, and most parents along with the government seem to support the healthy school lunches according to the recent polls in many of the U.S. states. But do they know the reality? Many students in my school are not liking the lunches they serve and basically "skip" lunch and move on to dinner. People regularly skipping lunch, according to the Weight Control Information Network, tend to weigh more than people who eat often throughout the day as it can cause people to overeat later or choose to eat junk foods. This is a direct correlation or maybe the reason for such obesity in the state of Mississippi. Also, hungry children lead to inability to focus as well as behavioral outbursts or unexpected behavior, and being hungry, from recent research studying ghrelin, a hormone produced on empty stomachs, affected how the brain works in relation to learning, memory, and spatial analysis. This behavior is very similar to the behavior in my school.
Secondly, strict food regulations and nutritional guidelines don't seem to correlate well with food tastes. To put it in basic terms, if a student like how a food tastes, he or she won't eat it. One study estimates the $1.2 billion dollars of food goes to waste at schools in the U.S. annually. $1.2 billion dollars. This immense amount of food is waste just because of the quality of school lunches most suggestively of recent strict food and nutritional guidelines.
Many kids in my school which will also apply to other schools have parents that cannot attend or are unable to pack a lunch or breakfast in the morning due to financial or work problems. So to some kids, lunch may be the only meal they ever eat except for dinner. This emphasizes the importance of a satisfying food that students will need during their school life.
Michelle Obama's nutritional input in "low calorie foods" is not good in all aspects either. Due to her input, the calorie limit on school lunches is set to 850 calories. Many athletes and constantly working students are furious of this. As shown in a video from "'sGuide to Eating Healthy for Sports" it says that active teens require 2000 to 5000 calories per day to adequately meet their growth and energy needs. This means that these athletes are lacking up to 4200 calories a day due to strict food policies in public schools leading to lower focus and inabilities to function in daily life.
In conclusion, I am not suggesting that schools provide junk foods or unhealthy lunches to the people in general, but that strict foods and nutritional guidelines may be a little too harsh and have a negative correlation to the expected result.

I appreciate your enthusiasm Con. Thanks for responding.

"To put it in basic terms, if a student like how a food tastes, he or she won't eat it." Con

I think you meant to state if a student doesn't like how a food tastes, he or she won't eat it. You then go onto state the negative effects of insufficient calorie intake. I agree about the insufficient calorie intake causing problems.

I disagree on the part that if a student doesn't like a food's taste. As you probably know tastes change. This is called your palate.

"Our tastes can and do change over time for a variety of reasons. Do you now dislike something you used to love, or vice-versa?"

Healthy food doesn't necessarily mean the food tastes bad. In a way your making the argument for me. What your telling me is the school's and parent's of children are doing such a lax job that healthy food is so foreign to them they are rejecting it.

If you watch the documentary foodstamped you will see that children who prepare their own food are much more likely to eat it. I know from personal experience that foods that taste bitter often taste good after an adjustment period.

I state that school's today nutritional programs are too lax and need to incorporate cooking classes where children learn to cook and prepare their own healthy food. This is even more urgent with children who do not receive bagged lunches.

hanhee forfeited this round.

Thanks for the debate. My opponent had one really good point. That somehow low-calorie is associated with healthy. Yet, inadequate calorie intake is detrimental to health and performance. This trend of low-calorie or calorie reduction is disturbing to me. I've studied diet a lot and I conclude that no good can come out of denying yourself needed calories.

Solution: Eat a lot of healthy food. Apples are known for being healthy, so instead of eating a really low calorie meal of one apple. Eat lots of apples, at least five in a meal. Nobody gains weight on a straight apple diet.

Thanks again for the debate.

hanhee forfeited this round.