QandA
Gizers

Strong Muslim outrage over satire related to their religion is not justifiable

QandA

Pro

I will be for the notion that it cannot be justified. Round 1 is acceptance only. Best of luck!
Gizers

Con

Ok, just to start, there is a large difference between Muslim outrage over satire to religion, and bomb threats and the like. Most often, the largely publicized attacks upon Embassies and Ambassadors, are not caused by singular Muslims rioting over just one satire over their religious figure. Most often, the most radical groups use these plays on their religion as a means to justify their own agendas (generally involving violence and other frowned upon methods). I have close friends who are Muslim, and they get more than a little butt-hurt when they see their prized religious figure being made fun of on South Park, or on Family Guy. I think they are justified in their anger, just as an employee would be mad at their co-worker for making a racist or sexist joke. However, this does not mean that all Muslims are peaceful in their protest! Some become violent, and very outspoken. However, you must realize that there really is no "Strong Muslim Outrage", because any of the horrific incidences you hear about on the news are not committed by your neighbor Muslim. They are generally committed by groups such as Al-Queda, who use religion as a means to justify their horrible agendas. They are not the true Muslims, they simply use religion as an excuse to do what they want and gain public backing. I support peaceful protest, because that within itself is "Strong Outrage" towards unacceptable behavior. If I was raised to believe that my entire life was devoted to a single God or being, and my head religious figure was made fun of on a constant basis, I would feel greatly offended. It's a lot like one bully picking on a small scrawny kid for having an imaginary friend. As adults, we would look at that situation and side with the small scrawny kid being picked on, and tell the bully off. But we seem to lose that mentality when we view it on a larger scale. Just because something is funny, doesn't mean it is right. When we are told in our job settings, that racial slurs or remarks are not acceptable, we don't do it for fear of losing our jobs. Why is it that we cannot do this when viewing problems on a larger scale? I don't ask that we stop all satire of all things, but it's acceptable in my opinion, for there to be a strong reaction to it. Agreed, it should NEVER be violent reactions, but a large peaceful protest can certainly be considered "Strong Muslim Outrage". If it was done is such a manner, I would most certainly consider it justifiable.
QandA

Pro

Thank you for accepting this debate however I did state that round 1 was an acceptance round only. Though it is obviously too late now.
On to your argument:
Firstly, I am not sure where bomb threats comes into play here that is a different topic. I am focusing on satire aimed at the Islam religion. You say that most often, the most radical groups use satire as a means to justify there own agendas. Whether they do or they don't, that is still strong Muslim outrage relating to satire and I don't see the logic in justifying them if they are only justifying their own agenda.

You say you have friends that strongly react to their prized religious figures being made fun of. I am sure that the vast majority of the Islam religion would be equally, if not more outraged too. What I want to know is why? Why is it only the Muslim religion that feel the need to react so strongly to satire. What gives them the right to riot over other religions, and people for that matter? Turn on the television on any given day and it will be filled with satirical jokes towards religions, politicians, celebrities etc. Why don't other religions riot on the streets because of this? Why do Muslims kick up such a storm but Christians or Jews can just take satire as satire? What is so special that only they need star treatment?

You say that such incidences are committed by groups such as Al-Queda. Are you saying that all riots over satire only involve terrorist groups? It is very common that the majority of riots over this issue are caused and contain the common public. Even if what you are saying is true, that is not the purpose of my argument. The purpose of my argument is to try and show that such strong Muslim outrage cannot be justified. It is not valid to say that extremists don't count because they are not your average Muslim.

I am not attacking you but who are you to say that these groups are not true Muslims. The majority of horrific behaviour in which they carry out is solely spawned from their religion. You say you support peaceful protest, as I'm sure most of us do. You say yourself that this is "strong outrage" towards unnaceptable behaviour. Well I feel it is unnaceptable protest to a very common behaviour. Why do they feel the need to protest when other religions can simply just leave it alone? I am an atheist but the majority of where I live is a Christian upbringing. If they saw a cartoon Jesus on South park they would just laugh it off. How is a satirical depiction of Jesus any less blunt than a satirical depiction of Muhammad? The answer is it isn't. Why do Muslims feel that they deserve the privilege over not having satire directed at them, over any other religion?

Whether it's violent reactions or non-violent reactions either one is strong Muslim outrage and I don't see how it can be justified behaviour. There is no law that states that Muslims have the privilege of not getting their feelings hurt, unlike the rest of us.
Gizers

Con

Firstly, my bad, I hopped into this one rather quickly. Excellent debate topic if I might say so.

Addressing the question of why they feel the need to protest the insults to their religion, it is because it is apart of their upbringing, as well as apart of their culture. They are still a culture based upon religion in every sense of the word. Because we don't have a similar culture here in the United States, it is difficult to sympathize with them, or to see why they would react in such ways. We all laugh at a depiction of Jesus on South Park, it's true, but take us back about 250 years, and it would be horrible to even think of such an act. We should respect that they have their culture, and if we are willing to insult it, then we should be wiling to accept their counter.

It is perfectly acceptable to be outraged if the religious figure you devote your life to is outright insulted upon national television. Whether or not they take action does not really matter as you said, but it's the same as being picked on at a school playground. 8th grade kid goes up to a 3rd grader and points out, makes fun of, and laughs at his imaginary friend in front of the whole yard. We would view that as cruel and if the younger kid retaliated, we would understand. This applies to the real world circumstance in that entire countries are based upon the foundations of Islam.

They are not exempt from being made fun of, but it is still justifiable that they be mad if you regress back into a religious standpoint. Unfortunately, they do live in a now somewhat secular world, but that does not mean that their anger is unjustified. If my whole culture was publicly humiliated, I would feel somewhat insulted, however, if my whole life revolved around my culture, I would feel outraged.

Just because it happens on a regular basis in our world, does not mean that it is acceptable. Just because the rest of us are used to insults and rudeness, does not mean that it is acceptable to begin with.
QandA

Pro

Don't worry about it we've all done it. Now to address your points.
Firstly, you say that they protest because of their upbringing and culture. The very same could be said about Christians. They are brought up and taught an equally strong religious culture so why aren't they protesting against petty insults to their religion? The United States completely does have a similar culture as it is a predominately religious nation, like Iraq or Pakistan etc. I do not find it difficult to sympathize with them because I live in a different culture. I find it hard to sympathize with them because I don't feel that they deserve such special treatment. I feel that it is overactive attention seeking in a way. I am confused when you say that 250 years ago it would be horrible to think of such an act. I don't see how this is a valid point as we are not living 250 years ago, we are living now. Of course I am willing to respect their culture however I am not willing to respect such outrage over such petty comedic insults in which we all must face up to and receive. You say that we should be willing to accept their counter. I think the mere fact that we don't protest over such satire shows that we are well capable of taking a jab and would therefore be able to accept a counter.

You say "It is perfectly acceptable to be outraged if the religious figure you devote your life to is outright insulted upon national television." If I devoted my life to the Easter bunny and therefore rioted and caused mayhem over an insult to the Easter bunny would that be justifiable? They are both the same principle. You're right if a kid was bullied in such a way we would view it as cruel but if the kid rioted over it and in turn was potentially putting people in harm we would see it as an extreme over-reactance and even worse than the initial bullying. Again, it is the same principle.

"Just because it happens on a regular basis in our world, does not mean that it is acceptable. Just because the rest of us are used to insults and rudeness, does not mean that it is acceptable to begin with."
There is an element of truth to this however when you bring it into context it is flawed. Are you saying that Muslims are not used to insults? Of course they are, that is why they are constantly rioting, and not just because of satire, for countless other reasons. If they weren't used to insults then they would have learned by now to just take it on the chin like the rest of us.

I would also like to state that from my argument, I am only obliged to try to say why such behaviour isn't justifiable. I am using this in the context of other religions. Therefore because other religions don't kick up a storm about such behaviour it cannot be justified. This is a valid argument in the context of the title. If all religions did in fact have such strong outrage on the matter then I could still say it cannot be justified as there is a right of free speech. Again, there is no right to allow Muslims not to let their feelings get hurt.
I look forward to your argument.
Gizers

Con

Gizers forfeited this round.
QandA

Pro

My opponent has forfeited this round, hopefully they will be able to continue for the last round.
Gizers

Con

Gizers forfeited this round.
Posted by TheUnapologeticTruth 3 years ago
TheUnapologeticTruth
Justifiable according to what and whom? because according to the Quran and Muhammad it IS justifiable.