QandA
thedon22

Strong Muslim outrage over satire relating to their religion is not justified

QandA

QandA

Pro

I will be for the notion that it is NOT justified. Round 1 is acceptance only, should you choose to accept. The rounds that follow will be back and forth argument as expected.
thedon22

Con

The muslims have an absolute right to be in outrage over their satire. It is not a choice to wear covering, it is engraved in their religion, from burqas to hi-jab's they are required universally (especially the females) to wear covering. In some instances severe punishment as it is in Iran is acceptable for refusal to wear such satire. This not only oppresses females (because in some middle eastern countries like in Iran they are required to wear full body covering) but it destroys expression and basic freedoms like we have here in the United States. Freedom of expression is a right. And separation from society or even legal punishment for exercising that right is a form of discrimination. They should absolutely be outraged that a religion that is over a thousand years old is dictating what they wear, how they pray, and even who they can be friends with or communicate with. It states countless times in the quran to cover themselves. Like in Quran 24:31

"And tell the believing women to subdue their eyes, and maintain their chastity. They shall not reveal any parts of their bodies, except that which is necessary. They shall cover their chests, (with their Khimar) and shall not relax this code in the presence of other than their husbands, their fathers, the fathers of their husbands, their sons, the sons of their husbands, their brothers, the sons of their brothers, the sons of their sisters, other women, the male servants or employees whose sexual drive has been nullified, or the children who have not reached puberty. They shall not strike their feet when they walk in order to shake and reveal certain details of their bodies. All of you shall repent to GOD, O you believers, that you may succeed." 24:31

So in countries as Iran or Saudi Arabia where the government is a theocracy or ran by religious leaders they will force it upon the people to wear what they say to wear. Which is clearly taking away people's rights. So it's only logical to protest when you are having even the most basic of rights taken from you, such as the right to wear what you want or express yourself how you please.
QandA

Pro

Thank you for accepting this debate however I did say that round 1 was just for acceptance. I hope this is taken into account with the voters.

It would seem as if I only need to make one point here.
Satire:
the use of irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, etc.

Attire:
clothes or apparel, especially rich or splendid garments.
thedon22

Con

I normally look up the definition before accepting such challenge. But it seems that I have gotten my definition from the cambridge dictionary which differs from the merriam-webster's. So in this case I request a tie considering the circumstances that I agree with your position. My apologies.
QandA

Pro

It was a simple misunderstanding yet I have no control over making this a tie or not. That much is up to the voters.
thedon22

Con

Well then I guess a win for you would be a win for me too considering I agree with your stance. haha.
QandA

Pro

Nice way to put it. Let's hope we win then haha
thedon22

Con

Well I hope we win, but my profile also wants to win. hahaha
Vote Placed by Sargon 4 years ago
Sargon
QandAthedon22Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Never mind.
Vote Placed by wrichcirw 4 years ago
wrichcirw
QandAthedon22Tied
Reasons for voting decision: concession by CON for misreading the resolution.