bsoten
Tophatdoc

Structural racism and inequalities in America were the root causes for the Black Panther Party.

Tophatdoc

bsoten

Pro

Debate round rules
Round 1: Acceptance
Round 2: Opening arguments (no rebuttals by con)
Round 3: Refutation of opponent's arguments (no new arguments)
Round 4: Defending your original arguments and conclusion (no new arguments)
Tophatdoc

Con

Thanks for hosting this debate. I accept your challenge. The burden of proof is on the pro side to show that the root causes for the creation of the Black Panther Party was structural racism and inequalities in America. I as the Con side only need to refute Pro's points.

I ask Pro to clarify which Black Panther Party is being referred to in this debate. I assume the Black Panther Party for Self Defense founded by Huey Newton and Bobby Seale.
bsoten

Pro

bsoten forfeited this round.
Tophatdoc

Con

The Pro side has made the claim that the Black Panther Party's root causes were structural racism and inequality in America. As the Con side I will dispute this claim. First, I will assume the Pro side is referring to the most famous Black Panther Party founded by Bobby Seale and Huey Newton. The original name was the Black Panther Party for Self Defense.

The Black Panther Party for Self Defense was not original in title or some of their tactics. Bobby Seale has told several lies about how him and Newton some how created the idea by thinking of a panther being back into a corner. Then a panther leaps out to attack in defense. This is revisionist history. No, they stole the Black Panther logo from the Lowndes County Freedom Party[1]. The Lowndes County Freedom Party was founded in 1965 with the intention of registering "Negroes" to vote. Negroes had represented about 9/10 of Lowndes County but an overwhelming majority of the "Negroes" were prevented from voting. The Lowndes County Freedom Party was trying to fight voter repression. That is how the Black Panther logo became popular.

The Black Panther Party for Self Defense was founded as a result of the Lowdnes County Freedom Party. Why do I say this? Because in 1966, several dozen Black Panther Parties erected across the country. In California, there were three Black Panther Parties. There was the Black Panther Party of Northern California, the Black Panther Party of Southern California, and the Black Panther Part for Self Defense. The first two are forgotten along with the other Black Panther Parties across the country because the third became the most popular and revered. In some cases, they absorbed these rival Black Panther Parties.

I will argue the root cause of the Black Panther Party for Self Defense was the Lowndes County Freedom Party. The Black Panther Party for Self Defense was not original in its' concept but rather the offspring of another organization's popularity.

Primary Sources:
Ready For the Revolution-Kwame Ture
The Huey Newton Reader-Newton(Edited by David Hilliard)

Secondary Sources:
Waiting 'Til the Midnight Hour: A Narrative History of Black Power in America-Penial Joseph
[1] http://www.encyclopediaofalabama.org...
bsoten

Pro

bsoten forfeited this round.
Tophatdoc

Con

Extend all arguments. The Pro side has not posted anything to refute.
bsoten

Pro

bsoten forfeited this round.
Tophatdoc

Con

Extend all arguments. It appears my opponent did not even show up to debate. Vote Con.
Vote Placed by iamanatheistandthisiswhy 3 years ago
iamanatheistandthisiswhy
bsotenTophatdocTied
Reasons for voting decision: I am sad this debate did not happen. I was really looking forward to it, as my knowledge on the black panthers is not very good. Thanks for some Information Con and all points to you as well for a remarkably absurd forfeit by Pro.