Abdulazzam
LaL36

Struggle songs should be banned.

Abdulazzam

Pro

MY HUMBLE GREETINGS TO MY FELLOW OPPONENT.

Given th opportunity, I would like to discuss the policy of this debate.
POLICY;
In round one , I expect my opponent to provide clash concerning the motion at hand with the stance i have taken. To refute on at least one of my points and provide a logical argument. In round two my opponent should use a case study to support his stance and in round three Iexpect my opponent to provide a statement on why he should win this debate.

General public, as the affirmative, I would like to restrict this debate to Africa.
Honourable public, struggle songs do not only constitute hate speech, but they also incite violence. Thus indicating that these songs pose a threat to society. In the highlight of this statement, I would look at a song which is, or was, usually sung at political meetings; The song is entitled "Shoot the boer". When looks at the tile of the song, the words 'shoot' basically means to 'kill', and 'boer' refers to a particular ethnic group found in South Africa and is known as the "Afrikaners". So when clearly sees that the word shoot, meaning kill, poses a threat to these particular people. Imagine a person, who is not well educated, attending a political meeting , hearing such songs being sung, what wouldn't that person to do the ethnic group which the song is directed at. Doesn't this just show that singing such songs poses a threat to somebody life. However, we cannot say that such a song defines our roots in terms of where we come from. As this will degrade true africanism, and african morality.
LaL36

Con

I accept the argument and I wish my opponent luck.

My opponent's first argument is that struggle songs provide hate and therefore should be banned. Unfortunately, hate is all over and there is nothing we could do about it because of the first amendment. So, by making struggle songs illegal based on this, would be doing something illegal.

Incite violence: I think the majority of people who listen to a song, are not really concerned with the lyrics or their meaning. Not that many people pick up on similes or other powerful language in songs. One of the most popular songs "Gangnam style" hardly any people I know, can sing the lyrics to that song. So if someone is singing a song about struggle, they are most probably singing because they like the way the song sounds, not because they agree with the artist's views. Also, as far as I know, I am not aware of any acts of violence based on song. If you you know any please provide examples. If not, than songs about struggle have not really "incited violence".

I APOLOGIZE, I JUST REALIZED YOU RESTRICTED THIS DEBATE TO AFRICANS. Well, this is embarrassing. If you would like to continue.

I agree with you that this may be a disgrace to Africans, but not that many rational people I know judge a race based on their songs. Once again, even it were a disgrace, it would still be abridging free speech.
Abdulazzam

Pro

Abdulazzam forfeited this round.
LaL36

Con

Unfortunately my opponent forfeited this round.
Abdulazzam

Pro

Abdulazzam forfeited this round.
LaL36

Con

Once again my opponent forfeited. Too bad my opponent get a chance to attempt to rebute my debate.
Posted by darkcity 4 years ago
darkcity
the song "shoot the boer" may be considered a hate song, which in my understanding is not the same as struggle song. maybe you could re-word to say "hate songs" or "songs inciting violence to one specific group" should be banned.
Posted by TheElderScroll 4 years ago
TheElderScroll
Confused. Can this "Shoot the boer" represent the entire genre? Besides, "incite violence" is not the same as "cause violence" or "lead to violence." Besides it would be possible that violent people are more prone to those songs. More information is appreciated.
Posted by muzebreak 4 years ago
muzebreak
You do realise that you have an indefensible position, right? It is, literally, impossible to reasonably defend trying to ban songs about removing oppression. If you want me to debate change the criteria.
Posted by Abdulazzam 4 years ago
Abdulazzam
Songs that were sung by those who were oppressed by the party in charge.
Posted by muzebreak 4 years ago
muzebreak
Define "struggle songs".