xXCryptoXx
DebatingPerson911

Students Should Be Able to Have Their Cell Phones at School

xXCryptoXx

xXCryptoXx

Pro

First round is for acceptance.
DebatingPerson911

Con

Ok I accepted.
LET'S DEBATE!
xXCryptoXx

Pro

Cell Phones Are Great For the Ease of Students

This is obviously going to be the biggest argument and it is quite simple.

It is common knowledge that people are busy. Allowing students to have cell phones with them allows them to schedule things and make important contact with extreme ease. For example if your parents thought they needed to pick you up at 3:00 P.M, but didn’t know you had to stay after school to finish a test; that could have been a problem easily solved if the student had had the ability to contact his parents in order to tell them he would have to stay after school a while. Its also not limited to the student, if the parent is running late or cannot pick their child up from school for any reason, or even if there is a family emergency they should be able to contact their child.

Cell phones allow a huge burden to be taken off parents and students, by allowing them to schedule things and contact others quickly and efficiently; something that could not be done without cell phones.

In the case of an emergency, such as medical problems, a school shooting, ect. students will be able to quickly and efficiently be able to contact authorities allow order to the chaos around them.

Gives Students Choice and Responsibility

By allowing students to possess phones during school, this gives them the opportunity to mature and learn responsibility. With the ability to possess cell phones, punishment for using cell phones during inappropriate times will be active. This gives students the choice to either use or not use their phones during inappropriate times. If they are caught and reprimanded then it gives them a chance to grow in maturity. Allowing cell phones forces students to be responsible with their phones, and learn from mistakes they make. This allows students to mature and grow in responsibility.

Any problems with cell phone usage can simply be solved with more strict authority. For example, if the school is having trouble keeping kids off their phones during class, then they can reinforce rules and authoritive cell phone checks, ect. in order to deter cell phone usage during class.

DebatingPerson911

Con

Since it is not clear what "at school" means, I will interpret it as having your phone during class.

Eleanor Roosevelt said that with great freedom comes great responsibility. But with cell phones in classes, will students be responsible enough to know not to use it? The answer is probably no. Ask yourself, would you rather play the addicting Candy Crush Saga or listen to the boring lecture going on right now? Think about it.

My opponent mentioned that students can use cell phones to plan and schedule things, which is true, but what happens to the phone after the planning is done. Usually, it is either texting or playing games, etc. Cell phones allow students to be a bit too free, for they provide entertainment and distraction with a touch of a button.

My opponent has also mentioned how cell phones are important for emergencies. But how often is there a real emergency? This is an excuse to bring your phone to classes.

I will provide more in my next argument.
GOOD LUCK!

P.S. I am not addicted to Candy Crush.
xXCryptoXx

Pro

“Since it is not clear what "at school" means, I will interpret it as having your phone during class.”

In context it means on school premises before school, during school, and after school.

My opponent contends that students cannot be trusted to not play with their phones during class. I already responded to this in two ways. First, by allowing students to have their phones during class it gives them the freedom of choice, and therefore the responsibility to make decisions regarding their phone. This is good in that it allows students to exercise free will and mature through their decisions. In addition, the matter isn’t necessarily about whether or not students can be trusted to stay off their phones because the matter really comes down to how strict teachers are with phones in the classroom. Since students playing on their phones during class would be a problem, teachers will (or at least should) have heightened security and restrictions so that that doesn’t happen. Lastly, the benefits of having a phone which I am about to defend far outweigh the students’ personal decision to use their phone during class.

My opponent fails to contend to the fact that students exponentially help students to plan and schedule, benefitting not only the student but also several other external agents. My opponent’s only real response is the same as he gave in the argument before this one, which I have already rebutted. This is an example of how the benefits of having a phone far outweigh any solvable consequences that they may give.

My opponent once again fails to contend to my argument that cell phones are extremely useful during emergencies such as a school shooting, natural disaster, abuse, ect. My opponent’s response was “yeah well how often does that happen I mean c’mon bro” which is absolutely absurd. The lives and well being of others is MUCH more important than students distracting themselves during class. If an emergency ever happens students should have the ability to contact another person quickly and efficiently.

Over to you.

DebatingPerson911

Con

DebatingPerson911 forfeited this round.
Posted by TheRagingClementine 3 years ago
TheRagingClementine
I do hope the Instigator realize that some students bring their phones to class anyways, and if there was an emergency situation I am pretty sure the teacher isn't going to restrict the student from using his or hers cell phone. His point about them being useful in an emergency situation is flawed.
Posted by DebatingPerson911 3 years ago
DebatingPerson911
For PiedPiper, that is unclear so both sides can make an argument for in class and outside.
For IReason, there is a very true argument for the Con side. You'll see
Posted by ambivalentsoul 3 years ago
ambivalentsoul
Hahahahaha very true. n15;n15;n15;n15;
Posted by IReason 3 years ago
IReason
who is going to go against that. You nimrod
Posted by PiedPiper 3 years ago
PiedPiper
Could you elaborate what you mean when you say "at school"? Do you mean they should be allowed to possess them in the building, use them in the halls, use them in class, etc.?
Vote Placed by donald.keller 3 years ago
donald.keller
xXCryptoXxDebatingPerson911Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con ff'd the last one round, effectively dropping every case Pro made, and losing conducts at the same time.
Vote Placed by Andrew.Cerean 3 years ago
Andrew.Cerean
xXCryptoXxDebatingPerson911Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Bob I would simply instruct all students to place their phones in their wall lockers prior to entering the room and keeping them on silent. That would fix the whole situation without causing a distraction. If pro stuck to the debate topic, he would have won. However he participated in the debate of whether or not kids should have them in a class room.
Vote Placed by Krazzy_Player 3 years ago
Krazzy_Player
xXCryptoXxDebatingPerson911Tied
Reasons for voting decision: FF.