Students Should Be Allowed to Have Their Cell Phones at School

First round is for acceptance.

All definitions will be used in context of the resolution.

Standard conduct applies, including no trolling.

I accept the challenge of the debate.

This is the argument from my former account xXCryptoXx. This argument was not plagiarized; for it is my own work being used on this account that I created.

Cell Phones Are Great For the Ease of Students

This is obviously going to be the biggest argument and it is quite simple.

It is common knowledge that people are busy. Allowing students to have cell phones with them allows them to schedule things and make important contact with extreme ease. For example if your parents thought they needed to pick you up at 3:00 P.M, but didn’t know you had to stay after school to finish a test; that could have been a problem easily solved if the student had had the ability to contact his parents in order to tell them he would have to stay after school a while. Its also not limited to the student, if the parent is running late or cannot pick their child up from school for any reason, or even if there is a family emergency they should be able to contact their child.

Cell phones allow a huge burden to be taken off parents and students, by allowing them to schedule things and contact others quickly and efficiently; something that could not be done without cell phones.

In the case of an emergency, such as medical problems, a school shooting, ect. students will be able to quickly and efficiently be able to contact authorities which allows some order to the chaos around them and can save lives while increasing the chance that the perpetrator is caught.

Gives Students Choice and Responsibility

By allowing students to possess phones during school, this gives them the opportunity to mature and learn responsibility. With the ability to possess cell phones, punishment for using cell phones during inappropriate times will be active. This gives students the choice to either use or not use their phones during inappropriate times. If they are caught and reprimanded then it gives them a chance to grow in maturity. Allowing cell phones forces students to be responsible with their phones, and learn from mistakes they make. This allows students to mature and grow in responsibility.

All The Benefits Without the Consequences

If it is found that students cannot be trusted to use their cell phones appropriately then school rules can be placed in order to deter cell phone use during class. For example, students may be forced to turn off their phones and place it on their desk during class. This takes away the problem of students playing on their phones or being distracted by their phones during class, while still providing the benefits of students being able to use their phones after school or in the case of an emergency.

The Pro points to three main arguments to support the topic. Cellphones are great for the ease of students, gives students choice and responsibility, and provides all the benefits without the consequences. The problem with this attitude conveyed is cellphones are great for the ease of everyone. Substituting students to make that point is irrelevant. Ease of use for students may hold validity in the eyes of students, but does it in the eyes of others (as in anyone else except the student)?

"As a result, many schools have developed strict no cell phone policies. Reconsideration regarding this powerful device and how it can be used in an educational setting should take place. Most of the world is poised to bring these devices into the realm of education. Innovative ways to approach the concept have already been presented."

"It is important for adults, parents, and educators to be attuned to the ICT that have become a part of children’s social and psychological lives. In doing so, there can be a positive influence on the revivification of these objects and their meanings. It should be incumbent upon educators that whatever content is taught should be done in such a way that has value and meaning to the learner. Considering how to use cell phones in education is one way to blend real life and school life to make learning more relevant, personal, and meaningful." -

Giving choice and responsibility for the use of a cellphone is the decision of the parent to make. Attempting to misconstrue that the school or the teaching staff suddenly is suppose to uphold this decision in your household is completely naive. The school a student attends has phones located in the office for ease of use and to prevent miss communication. I would love to carry around my favorite portable personal tablet/cellphone and use it with responsibility any where I please, but giving choice and responsibility in the hands of anyone requires them to have been taught proper manners and ethics. While the task of being at school is to learn and follow the curriculum and learn these important aspects is far more primary than you checking social media or texting your BFF. Additionally, it is far more critical you stay concentrated at the task at hand rather getting caught up in situations and gossip that float around an adolescence's mind which is still developing into adulthood.

All the benefits without the consequences, spoken like a true adolescent, it is not meant to be condescending. This has been said by myself growing up and with my own children. How could you suggest that years of adults recognizing distractions from their own childhood and medical/educational studies should be disregarded?

Let us expand on this a bit, If the student does lose track of this privilege (having a cellphone, is just that, a privilege in the hands of students who's primary focus is learning) he/she will completely be willing to not argue and whine that the teacher is taking a personal item? Again, the reason it should be prohibited is to avoid the disruption. The point is learning, having discipline for the use, and not using your cellphone while multi-tasking on gaining an education.

"Most school administrations regard cell phone use as disruptive and distracting, and have implemented policies that prohibits using them on school grounds. Cell phones are a disruption in school. Text messaging can be used to cheat on tests. Students who are text messaging are not able to give full attention to the lesson. If a student cell phone rings in class, it totally disrupts the class for a considerable period of time. Many cell phones are also camera phones. Camera phones present an invasion of privacy in the schools . One of the best ways we can protect the privacy of every student is to ban cell phones from school during the school day." - -

I will agree with the Pro, his argument is quite simple, and doesn't take into account much of anything except the need for the use of a cellphone. It is noble of you to mention the importance to communicate with your students/parents if schedules change, but school's have policies in place for the safety, security, and to maximize the point in which schools truest intentions are for...too be educated on primary subjects and preparing good habits for secondary schooling after high school.

All and all, it is probably best you follow the policies for the use of the cellphone, because some schools will confiscate your phone and require a parent to come and have a conference to retrieve it based on the incident. I recently had to take part in such a situation personally, and let me tell you, the person - my child in reference, is learning how it used to be before children carried portable devices around and how communication worked prior to 2002.

Thank you for your response.

CON opens his introduction with an argument, phrased as a question, of whether or not cell phone ease is valid in the eyes of others, not just students. This of course, isn’t much of a difficult question to answer. My opponent tries to dismiss my notion that cell phones are useful mostly by saying something like, “My opponent is a student himself, so of course he would think that way. Allow me to enlighten you.” However, this does not dismiss the arguments I make. Rather CON tries to dismiss me, and therefore my arguments. Cell phones, regardless of who the cell phone is used by, are a tool used for the overall ease of the one using it. The ability to contact others is vitally important, and allowing students, who especially rely on contact for various things, to have cell phones is logically sound. Adult guardians or authorities would also agree, since the ability to for a student to contact them or for them to contact a student is very beneficial.

My opponent tries to dismiss my argument that cell phones give students choice and responsibility by arguing that that is a private matter that should be decided by parents and not by the school. However, this does not dismiss the fact that the school alone has the ability to decide whether students can take their cell phones to school or not, therefore my opponent’s argument that cell phone usage is a parent’s decision is irrelevant. Administrators can allow cell phones at the school and the parents can still decide whether or not their child is ready to be able to take their cell phones to school.

My opponent then argues that there is no need for cell phones since the office at the school can allow students to use their phones. Office cell phones however, simply do not suffice even in simple situations. Kids who need to contact their parents after schools could of course use office cell phones, although offices generally will not have enough phones to compensate for the amount of kids who need to contact their parents after school. Office phones also don’t solve the problem of when a student needs to contact an authority in an emergency. These emergencies could consist of anything from an extreme injury on campus, to a school shooting.

My opponent argues that cell phones should not be allowed in schools because cell phone usage requires a certain degree of manners and ethics among students. Schools will of course, place rules and may even go as far as to place very strict rules on cell phone usage if students cannot use them properly. If cell phones are seen being used casually authorities may have the right to take the cell phone away and have the student pay a fine to get the phone back. Rules like this promote proper cell phone usage.

My opponent’s argument that all of the benefits of cell phone usage may exist without consequences fails. He essentially argues the same point he did when arguing about student ethics and manner when using cell phones. He argues that a school’s primary purpose is only for education and that cell phones are too much of a distraction. Schools, although primarily for education, should also promote an atmosphere of ease and the well being of students. Cell phones accomplish this. As argued before, stricter rules on cell phones use promote appropriate cell phone use, so it is therefore not a problem that students may use their cell phones inappropriately since they will be incentivized not to. Of course, the occasional problem will arise with cell phone usage, but the safety and ease it beings upon students is invaluable and certainly out-weighs the problems cell phones may cause. My opponent then points out that schools already have safety and security handled so there is no need for cell phones. This, of course, is simply false. If it was true, bullying wouldn’t occur, school shooting wouldn’t happen, vandalism and sexual harassment wouldn’t exist, ect. My opponent cannot ignore the fact that cell phones increase safety and ease among students.

Over to you.

JamesChance forfeited this round.

JamesChance forfeited this round.
Posted by Intrepid 2 years ago
cell phone debate response
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: ff