Intrepid
radicaalllll

Students Should be Allowed to Have Their Cell Phones at School

Intrepid
Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner

Intrepid

Pro

First round is for acceptance.

All definitions will be used in context of the resolution.

Standard conduct applies, including no trolling.

"School" in context of the debate resolution means K-12th grade in standard education.
radicaalllll

Con

I accept! Let the games begin.
Intrepid

Pro

This is the argument from my former account xXCryptoXx. This argument was not plagiarized; for it is my own work being used on this account that I created.

Cell Phones Are Great For the Ease of Students

This is obviously going to be the biggest argument and it is quite simple.

It is common knowledge that people are busy. Allowing students to have cell phones with them allows them to schedule things and make important contact with extreme ease. For example if your parents thought they needed to pick you up at 3:00 P.M, but didn’t know you had to stay after school to finish a test; that could have been a problem easily solved if the student had had the ability to contact his parents in order to tell them he would have to stay after school a while. Its also not limited to the student, if the parent is running late or cannot pick their child up from school for any reason, or even if there is a family emergency they should be able to contact their child.

Cell phones allow a huge burden to be taken off parents and students, by allowing them to schedule things and contact others quickly and efficiently; something that could not be done without cell phones.

In the case of an emergency, such as medical problems, a school shooting, ect. students will be able to quickly and efficiently be able to contact authorities which allows some order to the chaos around them and can save lives while increasing the chance that the perpetrator is caught.

Gives Students Choice and Responsibility

By allowing students to possess phones during school, this gives them the opportunity to mature and learn responsibility. With the ability to possess cell phones, punishment for using cell phones during inappropriate times will be active. This gives students the choice to either use or not use their phones during inappropriate times. If they are caught and reprimanded then it gives them a chance to grow in maturity. Allowing cell phones forces students to be responsible with their phones, and learn from mistakes they make. This allows students to mature and grow in responsibility.

All The Benefits Without the Consequences

If it is found that students cannot be trusted to use their cell phones appropriately then school rules can be placed in order to deter cell phone use during class. For example, students may be forced to turn off their phones and place it on their desk during class. This takes away the problem of students playing on their phones or being distracted by their phones during class, while still providing the benefits of students being able to use their phones after school or in the case of an emergency.

radicaalllll

Con

In some situations I feel it could be acceptable for students to use their cells phones in school. Such as lunch, homeroom before school starts, and after school. But I feel during classes it shouldn't be allowed.

Sure, they could make a rule that enforces students to put their cell phones on their desks during class, but does that mean all of the students are going to follow those rules? No.

The teacher can't watch every single thing the student does. So if the teacher turns his/her back on the students, or walks out the class for a second or just isn't paying attention to the students, they can have a good ole' time and play away on their cell phones when they should be doing school work.

Trust me, I've had expierience, I've been a high school student before. In middle school there was barely any conflicts as far as phone bans because barely any child had a phone back in 2006, haha. But towards the end of high school is when the usage of cell phones amoung the younger community has become popular. In my high school cell phones were banned PERIOD. They weren't even allowed during lunch. Students did not follow this rule whatsoever. Whenever a teacher wasn't looking, kids were on their phones, in class. Playing games, texting, and sometimes even watching porn. Yes, the guys were watching porn during math class, sadly they couldn't express their swine- like behavior at home. It was a distraction and kids literally weren't getting their work done, and they got 0's as a classwork grade.

As far as getting caught and punished again, it was obnoxious. I understand that telling my side from personal expierences won't be as convincing. But I'm just telling you from my perspective. But anyways, a teacher would see a student on his/her phone. Depending on the teacher, they would just tell the student to put it away, some teachers will take away their phones, and some will just look at the student and then look away and pretend they didn't see it. The harshest punishment you got for having your phone out was that it was taken away until the end of the day. Of course, after a student was punished, they still did it anyways so they didn't really "learn from their mistakes".

I'm not being a party- pooper or anything. Yeah, it could be good as far as contacting your parents due to emergencies. That should be the only reason for a student to use their phones in class. Other than that they need to be banned. Let's not also forget about harassment, plenty of times I have seen boys take picture of the girls butts while they were turning around. It's sickening and it's sad that they have never gotten caught. And also students taking pictures of other students without their permission and posting it on social media can be a form of bullying.

Cell phones should be allowed under the circumstances of lunch, and during lunch students, especially the boys, need to be monitered.
Intrepid

Pro

Thank you for your response.

I will quote my opponent and respond.

“In some situations I feel it could be acceptable for students to use their cells phones in school. Such as lunch, homeroom before school starts, and after school. But I feel during classes it shouldn't be allowed.”

Are you aware that by making this statement you essentially concede this debate? The resolution includes times such as lunch, homeroom, and after school. If cell phones are banned during classes but accepted during those times then the resolution is still affirmed.

“Sure, they could make a rule that enforces students to put their cell phones on their desks during class, but does that mean all of the students are going to follow those rules?”

It doesn’t just have to be that. Administrators can enforce even stricter rules than that. Of course, not all students will obey the rules, but strict rules will certainly deter inappropriate cell phone usage while still maintaining the benefits cell phones bring.

“Trust me, I've had experience…”

This is an argument fallacy from personal experience. None of what you argued can be proven nor can it be shown to be the general case of things. Therefore the entire argument can be dismissed.

“Depending on the teacher, they would just tell the student to put it away, some teachers will take away their phones, and some will just look at the student and then look away and pretend they didn't see it.”

Universal school rules would be implemented, so that it is not up to the discretion of the teacher. This means a student would be punished in the same way no matter where they were or what teacher caught them.

“Let's not also forget about harassment, plenty of times I have seen boys take picture of the girls butts while they were turning around. It's sickening and it's sad that they have never gotten caught. And also students taking pictures of other students without their permission and posting it on social media can be a form of bullying.”

Again, stuff like this can just be deterred through the implementation of stricter policies regarding cell phone usage.

My opponent doesn’t quite appropriately respond to my arguments. He drops many points regarding the benefits of cell phones and fails to argue that the negatives of cell phones outweigh the positives. He even goes as far as to concede that cell phones should be allowed to be used during certain times of the school day.

Over to you.

radicaalllll

Con

radicaalllll forfeited this round.
radicaalllll

Con

radicaalllll forfeited this round.
Posted by edibleshrapnel 2 years ago
edibleshrapnel
Dude, you've done this topic 3 times already.
Vote Placed by vekoma123 2 years ago
vekoma123
Intrepidradicaalllll
Who won the debate:Vote Checkmark-
Reasons for voting decision: I agree with Con's case for cell phones disrupting the educational environment and being methods for harassment, but at the same time, it really does fall on the growth and maturity of the students at large. I think ultimately, it's up to the teacher of the class to decide. My English teacher my senior year didn't care if we had phones or our iPods out, as long as we did our work. I passed that class quite well, I got my work in on time, and listening to music actually helped me with the pacing of my work. I can see the good and bad in it, but ultimately, it's up to the teacher for what is done in class, and whether it's lunch or before/after school, let the students do what they want to do. Also Con had FF, so points were taken off for that.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
Intrepidradicaalllll
Who won the debate:Vote Checkmark-
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture.
Vote Placed by YYW 2 years ago
YYW
Intrepidradicaalllll
Who won the debate:Vote Checkmark-