Intrepid
edibleshrapnel

Students Should be Allowed to Have Their Cell Phones at School

Intrepid

Intrepid

Pro

First round is for acceptance.

All definitions will be used in context of the resolution.

Standard conduct applies, including no trolling.

"School" in context of the debate resolution means K-12th grade in standard education.
edibleshrapnel

Con

I accept, and B.T.W., all schools I've received education at allow cellphones, they just ask that they remain in lockers. Cellphones should not be allowed in the classroom however.
Intrepid

Pro

This is the argument from my former account xXCryptoXx. This argument was not plagiarized; for it is my own work being used on this account that I created.

Cell Phones Are Great For the Ease of Students

This is obviously going to be the biggest argument and it is quite simple.

It is common knowledge that people are busy. Allowing students to have cell phones with them allows them to schedule things and make important contact with extreme ease. For example if your parents thought they needed to pick you up at 3:00 P.M, but didn’t know you had to stay after school to finish a test; that could have been a problem easily solved if the student had had the ability to contact his parents in order to tell them he would have to stay after school a while. Its also not limited to the student, if the parent is running late or cannot pick their child up from school for any reason, or even if there is a family emergency they should be able to contact their child.

Cell phones allow a huge burden to be taken off parents and students, by allowing them to schedule things and contact others quickly and efficiently; something that could not be done without cell phones.

In the case of an emergency, such as medical problems, a school shooting, ect. students will be able to quickly and efficiently be able to contact authorities which allows some order to the chaos around them and can save lives while increasing the chance that the perpetrator is caught.

Gives Students Choice and Responsibility

By allowing students to possess phones during school, this gives them the opportunity to mature and learn responsibility. With the ability to possess cell phones, punishment for using cell phones during inappropriate times will be active. This gives students the choice to either use or not use their phones during inappropriate times. If they are caught and reprimanded then it gives them a chance to grow in maturity. Allowing cell phones forces students to be responsible with their phones, and learn from mistakes they make. This allows students to mature and grow in responsibility.

All The Benefits Without the Consequences

If it is found that students cannot be trusted to use their cell phones appropriately then school rules can be placed in order to deter cell phone use during class. For example, students may be forced to turn off their phones and place it on their desk during class. This takes away the problem of students playing on their phones or being distracted by their phones during class, while still providing the benefits of students being able to use their phones after school or in the case of an emergency.

edibleshrapnel

Con

Ok, so you say that cellphones can be used for east contact, well, schools do have phones for that purpose, so you can use those. You're asking for permission to use you're phone anyways, so why does it need to be done on a cellphone?

Scheduling and contacting can't be done without cellphones? That's absolutely ludicrous. Most students and adults aren't retards, so I would hope they know how to use a calendar, or an agenda. It's that simple. I can understand your school shooting point, but wouldn't the call sound from your phone attract the perp? And how often do school shootings happen? You're saying we should allow students to carry their phones everywhere because of school shootings? Riiiiiiiiight. Tell me when peoples lives are saved when that cellphone comes in handy.

Most juveniles don't care if they get caught with their cellphone in class. They'll just start texting in class the next day, and the day after that, and the day after that. And right off the bat, cellphones should NOT be allowed at elementary schools, students at that age could NOT regulate themselves. Middle school? Possibly. High school? Probably not.

Ok, so if said student has the phone sitting on their desk, what's the point if it being there? Why not just leave it in said students house? If their going to use their phones after school, then why not leave at home, what could a juvenile need a cellphone so badly for after class? And about the emergency thing, that completely unnecessary, because the teachers would have phones, the main office would have like 5 phones, and said school would be near houses, so if their was an emergency which left teachers AND the main office deprived of their phones, the occupants in nearby houses would be able to contact authorities.

Overall, I've countered pro's points, while adding in a few of my own. Best of luck!
Intrepid

Pro

Thank you for your response. I’ll just quote my opponent and respond.

“Ok, so you say that cellphones can be used for east contact, well, schools do have phones for that purpose, so you can use those. You're asking for permission to use you're phone anyways, so why does it need to be done on a cellphone?”

The problem with phones that the school supplies is that there often aren’t enough of them. Allowing students to have cell phones on them allows for a quicker way to contact their guardians that is also easier to do. In addition, cell phones are good to possess in that during a dire emergency students may not be able to reach office phones.

“Scheduling and contacting can't be done without cellphones?”

No, what I am saying is that if there is a schedule change or anything of the sort then students will be able to contact their parents when otherwise they could not.

“Tell me when peoples lives are saved when that cellphone comes in handy.”

It is not just school shootings. Cell phones are also useful during times where the ambulance must be called immediately because a student is in grave danger or in anything alike that. The fact remains that cell phones can save lives in dire emergencies, and the safety of students should be very highly regarded in any school.

“Most juveniles don't care if they get caught with their cellphone in class. They'll just start texting in class the next day, and the day after that, and the day after that.”

Punishing everyone because of the action of a few students is not fair. Anyways, that wouldn’t be a problem because schools have the right to create rules where cell phones cannot be taken out during inappropriate times, and if they are the school has the right to punish the student accordingly.

“Ok, so if said student has the phone sitting on their desk, what's the point if it being there? Why not just leave it in said students house?”

The student could still use in the case of a dire emergency and after school to be picked up, to call for a schedule change, ect.

“because the teachers would have phones, the main office would have like 5 phones, and said school would be near houses, so if their was an emergency which left teachers AND the main office deprived of their phones, the occupants in nearby houses would be able to contact authorities.”

Again, if the situation is grave where 911 needs to be called immediately then it is good for the students to have cell phones on them, especially f they are not any authorities or the office. In addition, the danger does not necessarily have to be very attention grabbing, like a school shooting, where people in the area would know what is going on.

The fact is, there is nothing to lose when allowing students cell phones. They provide the benefits of schedule changes, calling parent guardians, contacting authorities ect. while providing a certain safety net for children. If cell phones are being used inappropriately the school has the right to implement strict rules regarding cell phone usage to deter inappropriate use.

edibleshrapnel

Con

I will rebut my opponents points and rebuttal.

"The problem with phones that the school supplies is that there often aren't enough of them. Allowing students cell phones on them allows for a quicker way to contact their guardians that is also easier to do. In addition, cell phones are good to posses in that during a dire emergency students may not be able to reach office phones."

There are usually 4-5 phones in a school's main office, and I sincerely doubt that there would at all times be a long line to use one of the said phones. Yes, it is quicker to contact guardians, but for what reason? As I've stated, they can simply use the office phones. What kind of emergency could be so dire that all teachers, student assistants, and the main office lose full phone connection? That's a serious flaw, students don't need to use a cellphone in case of an emergency because said people would already have one on them. I believe I said EXACTLY this last round, and last round I also asked you to clarify a "Dire emergency" to me.

"No, what I am saying is that if there is a schedule change or anything of the sort then students will be able to contact their their parents when otherwise they could not."

Like I said, use an office phone. NEVER have I seen or experienced a line in my schools main office for the use of one of it's 5 phones.

"It is not just school shootings. Cell phones are also useful during times where the ambulance must be called immediately because a student is in grave danger or in anything alike that. The fact remains that cell phones should be very highly regarded in any school."

Yes, I agree cell phones should be highly regarded in school, but not by students. As I've stated before, If said student is in "Grave danger", why couldn't a teacher or student assistant call 911? Are they not capable? Their's usually ONE teacher in a class, and they are perfectly capable of pressing a few buttons on their cell phones. Students don't need cell phones if there are already 28 with the teachers, and 5 phones in the main office.

"Punishing everyone because of the action of a few students is not fair. Anyways, that wouldn"t be a problem because schools have the right to create rules where cell phones cannot be taken out during inappropriate times, and if they are the school has the right to punish the student accordingly."

As I've reasoned and stated, said students don't need their cell phones at school. Their not being punished, the educational facility is just taking a extra precaution for the welfare of the students. Cell phones are distracting to students, therefore it can hinder a students focus in class.

"Again, if the situation is grave where 911 needs to be called immediately then it is good for the students to have cell phones on them, especially f they are not any authorities or the office. In addition, the danger does not necessarily have to be very attention grabbing, like a school shooting, where people in the area would know what is going on."

What? For real? Honestly, what situation could PLAUSIBLY render the phones in the main office ineffective? And what do you mean by "authorities"? Do you mean teachers? I doubt there is any situation where ALL teachers would be absent of the building, and they would leave ALL students in by themselves without supervision, it's also absurd to think an emergency could happen in those EXACT few moments when they are vulnerable. Since that theory is highly implausible and ludicrous, we can say that that point has been countered completely.

"The fact is, there is nothing to lose when allowing students cell phones. They provide the benefits of schedule changes, calling parent guardians, contacting authorities ect. while providing a certain safety net for children. If cell phones are being used inappropriately the school has the right to implement strict rules regarding cell phone usage to deter inappropriate use."

Yeah, there is actually a LOT to use when ALL students have access to their cell phones, their focus! Schools serve the purpose of educating students with life skills and technical skills, and texting and chatting on their cell phones helps that purpose how? The students don't need a cellphone to make a schedule change, there are office phones for that. The students don't need to call parent guardians with their cell phones, there are office phones for that. And teachers have cellphones to contact authorities with, so that point has been rendered incorrect. Yes, schools CAN implement rules to deter inappropriate usage of cellphones, but students have, and always will somehow find a way around the system, it's a fact.

Overall, I've effectively countered all my opponents arguments, and added more points on top of that. I would like to points out that my opponent's argument revolves around the idea that a "dire emergency" will render phone communication in the school ineffective, and that all teachers cellphones would be disabled as well. He rebuts with this point for ALL my arguments, and that in itself is a major flaw.

Opponent, explain how such a "dire emergency" could render ALL outside communication ineffective, and why we should let students have cellphones JUST IN CASE that it happens. I'm highly interested in what you'll come up with.
Intrepid

Pro

Thank you for your response.

Yes, it is quicker to contact guardians, but for what reason? As I've stated, they can simply use the office phones. What kind of emergency could be so dire that all teachers, student assistants, and the main office lose full phone connection?

A student could contact a guardian for any reason, a schedule change, to be picked up perhaps from a different spot than previously changed, ect. Anyways, many students do this, and if a school averages about 500-700 students then 5 office phones will seldom be enough. Fact is, why use office phones when cell phones are simply just easier? As I’ve already argued, if students use their cell phones inappropriately the school can simply implement strict rules on cell phone usage. Also, not all emergencies occur in the classroom or even in a school building. When walking on campus, perhaps from one classroom to another or to deliver something to another teacher a student could be put in a dangerous situation where there are no authoritative figures in the immediate vicinity.

“Like I said, use an office phone. NEVER have I seen or experienced a line in my schools main office for the use of one of it's 5 phones.”

Argument fallacy from personal experience. Logically, a school which holds 500-700 students on average will likely have many students needing to call their parents for something.

“As I've reasoned and stated, said students don't need their cell phones at school. Their not being punished, the educational facility is just taking a extra precaution for the welfare of the students. Cell phones are distracting to students, therefore it can hinder a students focus in class.”

There is no reason for students to not have their cell phones with them at school. Cell phones provide a plethora of great benefits and every negative consequence of cell phones can simply be deterred through strict rules regarding cell phone usage.

“Honestly, what situation could PLAUSIBLY render the phones in the main office ineffective? And what do you mean by "authorities"? Do you mean teachers? I doubt there is any situation where ALL teachers would be absent of the building, and they would leave ALL students in by themselves without supervision, it's also absurd to think an emergency could happen in those EXACT few moments when they are vulnerable. Since that theory is highly implausible and ludicrous, we can say that that point has been countered completely.”

Any situation where a student is not in the vicinity of a teacher or the office phones is a situation where the use of a cell phone could save a student’s life. This situation is plausible, especially when considering a school shooting where a student vacates the campus and calls from their position, a deadly allergic reaction in which a student should call 911 immediately, a student getting dangerously y hurt while on campus but not in a building; the possibilities are endless and in a school’s effort to put the safety of the student above all things, schools should allow students to have cell phones with them.

“Yeah, there is actually a LOT to use when ALL students have access to their cell phones, their focus! Schools serve the purpose of educating students with life skills and technical skills, and texting and chatting on their cell phones helps that purpose how?”

As already stated, every instance of inappropriate cell phone usage can be deterred through strict rules on cell phone usage.

Thank you for this debate. I hope it was at least somewhat intellectually stimulating.

edibleshrapnel

Con

edibleshrapnel forfeited this round.
Posted by edibleshrapnel 2 years ago
edibleshrapnel
During periods of Education? Is socialization a students top priority during school hours? I hope not, at least not during class.
Posted by lawrencesabenning 2 years ago
lawrencesabenning
ya i stronly agree with this motion.because cell phone is really important for the children to communication each other
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
IntrepidedibleshrapnelTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff