pogib14
lostabyss

Students and Laptops in High School

pogib14

pogib14

Pro

As the the topic states this will be a discussion on whether or not students should be allowed to carry laptops at school.

Definitions:

All definition(s) are from http://www.m-w.com...

Laptop - a portable microcomputer having its main components (as processor, keyboard, and display screen) integrated into a single unit capable of battery-powered operation

If you see anything that should be defined please feel free.

There is a 3,000 character limit.

I will be taking the position of being for the ability to carry the laptops thus my opponent shall not want them.

If you do not meet the requirements, feel free to send me a message and I will unlock it or start another with you if it is already taken.
lostabyss

Con

AAARRG im a pirate! :D

In other news:

Laptops would make it incredibly easy to cheat on multiple things. From just being able to help a friend caguht sleeping in class, to giving answers for homework in pretty much any class. Technology is very helpful for the quick exchange of ideas, meaning when people writing "notes" and sending answers when asked in class. Sure it's small and doesn't really affect tests, but it could impede actual learning, and in that way make test scores worse. Well, actually, after a generous smart kid takes a test and perhaps writes the answers on his arm, he could simply type it up and send a mass E-mail to a group of peers. Possibly making money no the deal.

Then, there is the porn issue. i see your "oh but there are blocks and firewalls" remark coming, so i'll answer in advance. personal laptops will give free reign over many things in the system, and probably wont even be connected in any way to the school servers except for possible wifi installations. But that can be easily bypassed with a cellphone tower connection card.

im short on time, and can't think of anything, so i pass the debate at my opponent Pog.

Take it away! *Jazzhands!*
pogib14

Pro

I thank my opponent for joining this debate.

As you have stated, by allowing students to carry around laptops it will make it easier for people cheat. This is only true in a school environment that has a unlocked WiFi. If they have the unlocked or available WiFi for students, then they are in a way allowing the student to cheat.

With that I can also address what you said about the porn. Going back to my previous argument, if the schools WiFi is locked then there is no way for the student to access it with out using the cell phone tower connection card. Which sadly to say if a teenager wants to access something they are going to find anyway to get to it.

I know offer the discussion to my opponent.
lostabyss

Con

Thank you for the offer. I accept

It is true: "if a teenager wants to access something they are going to find anyway to get to it."

With the internet we are becoming more resourceful, more knowledgeable, and more skilled in the areas we want. All it really takes is knowing what you want, a decent search ability, and then the time to practice, read, and watch any information on the subject. I dont know it to be true, but there have been claims of hacking into the school with but a PSP. An account i know to be true, is that of a script kitty breaking in with a thumb drive of programs.

A site that one could go to for these things is hackthissite.org its a site that promotes learning the skills on your own with logical thinking and gaining an intimate knowledge of computers and security. They will occaisionally post their own small articles, or you can find tutorials on the forums for back doors, reverse engineering, and decryption.

It only takes one student to learn these skills and hand out the Key to many others.

If we are talking personal laptops, just having the word out that they are allowed will encourage students to invest in one of their own.

If the laptops are provided then why would the Wifi be locked? There would probably be some kind of wireless lan set up that perhaps had some filters on it for certain words or other things. At least then they could control the unlocked wifi.

i pass the torch to you my dear.
pogib14

Pro

And if I don't want the torch.

As you said we are advancing so there are new advances as we go on.

Now with as you said getting the word out would allow students to invest in there own thus showing them how to save money and live on there own.

If the laptops are school provided, then the WiFi would most likely be locked and the WiFi would already be setup on the school computers. Thus there would be filters, and probably a LAN to allow the students to get to their student information they may have saved.

Yeah crap argument I know, I was short on time and tired.
lostabyss

Con

lostabyss forfeited this round.
Posted by pogib14 7 years ago
pogib14
Yeah well other readers say otherwise.
Posted by lostabyss 7 years ago
lostabyss
oh come on, i forfeited because i already won and was too lazy to post. needless to say we settled out of court.
Vote Placed by pogib14 7 years ago
pogib14
pogib14lostabyssTied
Vote Placed by Logical-Master 7 years ago
Logical-Master
pogib14lostabyssTied