madina.abdir
THElittleRISK

Students and teachers should not "friend" on facebook

THElittleRISK

madina.abdir

Con

Nowadays, you can find almost anybody on Facebook. People are becoming Facebook friends with old classmates, with relatives and the neighbor with whom they live in one street. Especially teens seem to have a tendency to add almost everyone to their friends list that asks. So, if teens be friend on social network with teachers, it can give some negative sides to student. I want to share with first reason why they shouldn't "friend on social networks". Every humanity have rights to have personal privacy. A student may learn things about their teacher that they otherwise would not have access to. This could be detrimental in the class setting. For example, they can see a personal life of teacher, photos, and comments. Nowadays, people can easily forge any pictures in the social network and blackmail a teacher.
THElittleRISK

Pro

I would like to thank my opponent for giving me the chance to debate him on this interesting topic.

Pro claims that teachers have a right to privacy. I agree with this, however, if a student "friends" a teacher, it is up to the teacher if they accept, not the student. As such it is up to the teacher whether or not they want to give the student access to their personal life.

Pro also claims that a student could possibly use photoshopped pictures of a teacher to blackmail them. While this is possible, it is certainly not by any means frequent. In the event that this did happen, the teacher could simply show their school's administration the original photo that was photoshopped and be cleared of any charges the student may have made against them.

Now, I would like to argue that there are advantages of "friending" teachers on social networks. Teens spend a great deal of time on social networking sites. As such, if they had a question on a school project or homework and they were friends with their teacher, they would have a way to quickly communicate their problems, resulting in better schoolwork. Teachers could also message students who missed school what they missed in class so that they don't fall behind.
madina.abdir

Con

I'm happy that this topic interested you. So, Pro asserted that teachers can show the real photos or facts, which prove his or her innocence and I absolutely agree with this. Nevertheless, do you think that the victim could still work in this school with tarnished reputation? I think, no, because students will tease or always remind her or him this incident.

My second argument is that nowadays, we cannot trust on anyone, because our world becomes very cruel. A teacher can be pedophile or maniac, which pretended like a teacher. I watched news about one in Moscow school, thirty years old deputy director of school presumably, pumped substance 15-year-old boy, and after to join with him in a sexual relationship. They started communicate on social network and was a close friends. A boy with a mental disorder in hospital and pedophile imprisonment of up to 6 years. Many of you might be skeptical that the director of school will choose a good teacher and with good education, however, it is not written in person's face.

The third argument is that the students and teachers relationship must remain a line of a professional nature and there should not be any "friends" on Face book or anywhere else. Teacher is a person who is teaching you, they are not your friends. I understood that these days, we have great opportunity like Internet, which is very fast and makes it easy to communicate. But for students safety we should"t admit to students to be friends with teachers on Face book. For instance, if you really need help of teacher"s suggestion, you can go to her/him and share your problems. I think it"s much better than if you will communicate on the Internet. However, if you shy person, you can write to his or her university/school e-mail.
THElittleRISK

Pro

Thanks to Con for her courtesy. While Con believes that the teacher's professional reputation and authority would be undermined, I believe it could actually be strengthened as the teacher showed that they did not allow themselves to be victimized, and as such present a harder target.

While there are cruel individuals in the world, not everyone in it is cruel, not even close. If I'm understanding you correctly, you claim that a criminal could pose as a teacher on Facebook and lure students to them? The students could probably deduce that the "teacher" was actually an impostor just by actually asking the teacher about in at school. If the student did not attend the same school as the "teacher", they did not really have a student-teacher relationship. In event of an unlawful action, police could access the social media records and find out what happened.

I agree that a degree of professionalism should be maintained between a teacher and his or her students, however I disagree that a teacher should not be your friend. Throughout high school I had a fair mix of "friendly" teachers who tried to be friend-like, and "traditional" teachers who opted for the traditional, detached manner of teaching. I, and many of my peers, learned better with the "friendly" teachers because we felt that they cared about our learning more than the "traditional" teachers and also found them easier to talk to about academic problems. I do not believe a student's safety would be at risk because they were friends with their teacher on Facebook. Besides, if the teacher wanted to, they could make an account for their personal life, and another one for their students to ask questions on. As I stated before, through social media a teacher would be able to remind nearly all their students about homework or projects in a more effective way than emailing, simply because teens check their Facebook more often than their E-mail.
madina.abdir

Con

I'm really apologize that not clearly explained what I meant by saying educators can pretend like a teacher. For example in Moscow one boy was the victim of his own teacher who worked in school 9 years. And now there are investigation that how many other students was his prey. Their relationship like a friend started on social network and that's why I am mentioning it. "We want to make clear that the work and personal lives of students and teachers should not be mixed. In addition, we want to avoid any misunderstandings related", said Eric Tronstad, head of the department of education of the commune. In the U.S. state of Missouri, such contacts illegal. There, the teacher can go to jail if in his list of friends will pupil.
I am graceful to know about your life experience. However, you can communicate with teacher and share all your problem, but it is not mean that if you have a good relationship, educators are your friend. Moreover, you consider that "a teacher would be able to remind nearly all their students about homework or projects in a more effective way than emailing". Unfortunately, on Internet, especially on social networks have different things that attract attentions and students will do nothing in stead of doing homework's. The teacher should be an example for their students. Social networks are bad for the school, the student spends time in vain. And if it will be his teacher pinafore that it will give the student a reason to consider that social networks is good. In addition, I also have some life experience that happened with me in high school. I studied in lyceum for girls and have a great chance to convene with incredible teachers with whom I shared everything. And all my classmates have a good relationship with teachers without Face book. It is more interesting be in a good relationship in real life, rather than on social networks.
P.S. I'm really sorry for confusing pro and con...
THElittleRISK

Pro

It would help if you posted the link to the article you are citing, as unfortunately I can't really tell what occurred. While it does sound tragic, once again, it is not common.

Allow me to define "friend". Friend: Noun. A person whom one knows and with whom one has a bond of mutual affection, typically exclusive of sexual or family relations. By that definition, a teacher with whom you had a good relationship would be your friend, just not from the position of a peer. This would not violate the professional boundaries of a teacher as they are not becoming involved in the private life of their student, or vice-versa. Besides, if a teacher has something they don't want the public to know/see, they should not be putting it on Facebook in the first place, as Facebook is a sharing site.

You also argue that students would be distracted and not do homework, but it is my belief that students are going to go spend time on social networks anyway, and having a teacher remind them about schoolwork while they're online would most likely lead to higher levels of completion of schoolwork. I agree that teachers should be examples for their students, but I disagree that social networking is bad for schools. My school has a Facebook page where they share news about the school with the students and community. Through Facebook, students can also form groups, such as my AP US class did, where they share class related information. I agree that it is more satisfying to have relationships in real life than on the internet, but you can supplement those real life relationships through internet communication.

In conclusion, I believe students should be able to friend their teachers on Facebook because friending does not violate the privacy or professionalism of the teacher, does not put either party at any risk, and allows both student and teacher to communicate faster on important issues such as new projects, changes to assignments, and missing school.

Thanks to my opponent to a well thought out debate. Vote Pro!
Posted by jaquan 1 year ago
jaquan
look at it this way people facebook is a faster way to communicate than by email with your teachers. if you miss an assignment or missed a couple of days and the assignment is due the next day then you could inbox the teacher and get a response in 2 minutes just saying
Posted by bafe 1 year ago
bafe
I would like to rebut you about the topic that student should not be friend with teacher. Because the teacher have to allow the students to be friend and in they mind they should know what they allow the student to do and nowaday a lot of teachers used facebook to be the classroom they teach the students true the facebook or to send the homework by facebook. This is why i'm firmly believe that
the student should be friend with teacher. thgank you :)
Posted by Sartania-Georgia 1 year ago
Sartania-Georgia
i don't use facebook and i am 16 years old boy, i mean teachers shouldn't use it too....
Vote Placed by GarretKadeDupre 1 year ago
GarretKadeDupre
madina.abdirTHElittleRISKTied
Reasons for voting decision: All of con's arguments were soundly refuted. Cons stories weren't cited.
Vote Placed by Contra 1 year ago
Contra
madina.abdirTHElittleRISKTied
Reasons for voting decision: The arguments presented in this debate were relatively even, though some of Pro's arguments were confusing, like in the second to the last round. The instigator loses the conduct point because they messed up the Pro/Con arrangement, an honest mistake I guess.
Vote Placed by F-16_Fighting_Falcon 1 year ago
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
madina.abdirTHElittleRISKTied
Reasons for voting decision: I was initially leaning towards voting Con since Pro seemed to have missed Con's point that students and teachers shouldn't be facebook friends and instead argued why students should be allowed to send friend requests. However, Con never clarified or claimed the point and got distracted. The harmful effect of predatory teachers is non-unique to facebook and will happen facebook or not. School email solves the problems of communication better than facebook. By the end of the debate, a clear Pro win.