Hanky18
Sandhya12345

Students in the US should be required to recite the US pledge of allegiance in school every day.

Hanky18

Con

I've heard an argument about how some states are requiring their students to say the pledge of allegiance everyday, so I thought I would start up this debate to see the other side of it.
I believe that they don't need to give the pledge of allegiance everyday because its a waste of school time and frankly, if not all, the majority of us respect and love the US even if we don't always say we do.

First off, its a waste of time, it goes without saying that the majority of us love the United States.
I believe that the pledge of allegiance doesn't need to be recited EVERYDAY, but during important events like, graduations, assembly's (Which in my school occur about once a month), or other big get togethers.
If we are going to recite the pledge everyday, than we are basically wasting time we can be spending learning or preparing for our next lesson, etc.
Second off, if we recite the pledge everyday, than eventually its just going to turn into "that thing we do", rather than "that respect we give". We respect our country, but we don't need to recite the proof we do every day.
Sandhya12345

Pro

I do not think the Pledge of Allegiance is a waste of time because it shows our love for not just the United States, but also for God. That is what the phrase "under god" is for. You wrote,
"We respect our country, but we don't need to recite the proof we do every day."

How do you know everybody respects the United States? How do you know everybody wants "liberty and justice for all"? (Sorry if I am being rude). I will name an incident which shows an example of someone who doesn't want "liberty and justice for all". In the Oklahoma City Bombing , which occurred on April 19, 1995, Timothy McVeigh, who was the criminal, set off the blast that was outside the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. He killed about 170 people and injured hundreds more. Do you think Timothy McVeigh wanted "liberty and justice for all"?

http://www.wisegeek.com...
http://www.history.com...;
Hanky18

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for joining the debate. All respect due to them as well, but I believe my opponent just supported my position, they said that "someone does not want liberty and justice for all", well in America, we have the freedom of speech, if they don't respect the country, we americans have justified them the right to say their opinion of it, so they should not be required to recite the pledge of alligence.
Also, we should not be required to recite the pledge of alligence considering there are people who do not believe in god, so they shouldnt be required to recite something in the name of him- this is our freedom of religion amendment.
Sandhya12345

Pro

Sandhya12345 forfeited this round.
Hanky18

Con

Hanky18 forfeited this round.
Sandhya12345

Pro

Sandhya12345 forfeited this round.
Posted by CanWeKnow 3 years ago
CanWeKnow
So what you're going to force us to show respect for a God we don't even believe in. Once your bring in religion your argument will tank.
Posted by Zooba 3 years ago
Zooba
Actually, the whole reason it's there at all is because it was added in 1954 at the urging of President Eisenhower due to the communist scare, as he thought it would better bring together the citizens of the US against the "evil communist Soviets". The daughter of the original author, socialist minister Francis Bellamy, objected to that addition.

The original as written by Bellamy reads "I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

It was then changed in 1923 to read: "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

From it's conception in 1892 to today, it was never meant to mean anything religious, but everything patriotic, and the religious-sounding element of "God" (regardless of how you interpret what that means) was simply added to "scare" a seemingly Godless people with our love for our country and then some. Not to mention, I have to agree with con on this one, in that sooner or later, it just becomes that "required thing we have to do everyday" as opposed to "I really mean this, and feel this, and enjoy doing this."

I know when I was in school it was "just that thing we had to do" for most of us. At one point the student allowed to read it over the intercom one morning rapped it instead of reciting and got into boatloads of trouble just trying to liven up an otherwise static, boring, everyday requirement.

Source: http://www.ushistory.org...
Posted by Sandhya12345 3 years ago
Sandhya12345
Exactly. I understand that not all people love god and that is one of the reasons why I think that evryone should say the Pledge of Allegiance every day.
Posted by CanWeKnow 3 years ago
CanWeKnow
Woah, Pro. I think you are forgetting that not all of us respect and love "God". In fact in no way does the God referred to in the pledge of allegiance refer to the Christian, Muslim, Catholic, or any other religious God in the first place. The founding fathers were mainly Deists who questioned the validity of the Bible all together. The reason God is included in this sense is because it means to refer to the transcendent or higher power that we all abide by. i.e Nature. What is really meant is, one nation under "all that is" rather than "God, who created scripture, who knows our sins, who loves us all, and who gives us direction in life."