Randomknowledge
911hereicome

Students learn more and have a more complete understanding of the subject if the lcass is Co-Ed.

Randomknowledge

Pro

As JLConservative has said in previous debates, I will make my opening statement short and sweet. I believe that it is extremely beneficial for a student to go to school Co-Ed, because the benefits definately outweigh the cons. When you have boys and girls in a classroom together, learning, there are a number of things happening.

1) The students are hearing different opinions from different genders, enhancing their discussions.

2) the TEACHER gets to hear from a number of different people.

3) (obiviously) the class is more diverse.

4) Students get to explore their usual partnerships in groups or studies.

These are all great things that come with students being in a Co-Ed classroom environment.

Thank you and good luck to whoever accepts.
911hereicome

Con

I would firstly like to thank my opponent, Randomknowledge, for starting this debate on this very conserversial topic. And I would like to thank the readers and voters for taking time from their day to read my views and opinions.

I strongly believe that single-sex classes are more beneficial to the students than co-ed classes. I would like to start off by rebutting my opponents points.

When my opponent stated that the students are hearing different opinions from different genders, that is untrue. Most times in co-ed classes, girls get shy, and are afraid of what the boys will think. The boys are also afraid to talk because they are afraid the girls will think they are stupid. Having single-sex classes would ensure that students will speak out.

My opponents second point was that the teacher gets to hear from a number of different people. That point is weak because we are not talking about class room sizes. The teacher will hear about the same amount of people, just a specific gender. The teacher may even hear more because in single-sex classes, the students won't be afraid to speak.

The third point that my opponent stated was that the class would be more diverse, however, there are other ways to make the class diverse, not just gender.

And his/her final point was that students get to explore their usual partnerships in groups or studies. Just because the class is co-ed doesn't mean that the students can only talk to their gender. They can have after school study groups and talk to the other gender outside of school.

Now I would like to bring up some points of my own.

Researchers at Stetson University completed a three-year pilot project which compared single-sex classrooms to co-ed classrooms at Woodward Avenue Elementary School. For example, students in the 4th grade at Woodward were assigned either to single-sex or co-ed classrooms. All relevant parameters were matched: the class sizes were all the same, the demographics were the same, all teachers had the same training in what works and what doesn't work, etc. On the FCAT (Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test), here were the results:

Boys in co-ed classes: 37% scored proficient

Girls in co-ed classes: 59% scored proficient

Girls in single-sex classes: 75% scored proficient

Boys in single-sex classes: 86% scored proficient.

This experiment clearly proves that when placed in single-sex classes students are doing much better academically.

My second point is that when you are in co-ed schools and classes you get distracted by the other gender. You are always afraid of what they are thinking, and sometimes you refrain from talking so not to embarrass yourself.

Also, research states that the girls mind is different than a boys mind, therefore we should be educated separately to better understand and develop ones' brain.

My fourth point is that the faculty at single sex schools understand how their students learn. They adapt their teaching styles to those specific needs.

Children also learn to be themselves. Girls relax enough to feel comfortable exploring non-traditional subjects such as mathematics, advanced sciences, computers and technology, wood-working and so on. Boys participate in choirs and orchestras and learn Latin in single sex settings. These are just a few examples of how children will break out of their stereotypical roles and behavior when they are left with their own gender.

And finally, when girls and boys are put together, they tend to grow up to fast. Why not let children be children for a little while? They have college, and their whole life ahead of them to grow up.

In conclusion, single-sex education is a benefit to students to grow into young, mature, well-rounded adults.

Thank you,
Hereicome
Randomknowledge

Pro

Hello, Hereicome, and thank you for accepting this debate. I firstly want to point to somehting you said, actually a few things. You said "
When my opponent stated that the students are hearing different opinions from different genders, that is untrue. Most times in co-ed classes, girls get shy, and are afraid of what the boys will think. The boys are also afraid to talk because they are afraid the girls will think they are stupid. Having single-sex classes would ensure that students will speak out."

This, I hate to say, is purely opinion. You cannot ensure that these students will speak out or not speak out. It all depends on the class, and more the person. From personal experience, I go to a co-ed school and every discussion is filled with all voices from every person, reagrdless of gender. I speak up in all my discussions and so do my friends that are girls. We all have great discussions.

"even hear more because in single-sex classes, the students won't be afraid to speak"
This again is conjecture.

"Just because the class is co-ed doesn't mean that the students can only talk to their gender."

Of course they wont. Thus the point of a co-ed classroom.

"And finally, when girls and boys are put together, they tend to grow up to fast. Why not let children be children for a little while? They have college, and their whole life ahead of them to grow up."

You just said that co-ed classrooms are inhibitors. You are contradicting yourself.

Now for my arguments. These will actually be facts, hard facts.

This directly from the stanstead college archive in canada talks about satisfaction with Co-Ed schools

Current research shows that parents of students attending independent co-educational schools believe that a co-ed learning environment offers many benefits. A national survey conducted in 2005–2006 reveals that79% of Canadian parents with children in independent co-ed schoolsheartily agree that these schools better reflect the diversity of our society and79% believe they better prepare students to eventually enter the workforce.In addition, 71% agree that these students are better prepared to succeedin post-secondary education.

Here is some more from the archive

Research reveals that students at independent co-ed schools feel comfortable about who they are and have a healthy and positiveattitude and self-image. In fact, 71% of students indicate that "It is easyfor students at my school to find a group that they fit in with." The self-confidence expressed around fitting in enables students in a co-ed environment to perform to the best of their ability and get the most outof their educational experience.

As a conclusion, I would like to request more hard information in your next debate. Thank you.
911hereicome

Con

I would like to start off this round by rebutting my opponent's two points, and other rude comments that he made. He said that my points were just opinion and aren't hard facts. Opinion is what matters in controversial issues. Hard facts or statistics can be found to support both sides of any debate. In the second round, my opponent only provided statistics, which are not strong arguments.

When my opponent said that my 1st point was clearly opinion, it is clearly not. It is common knowledge.

Randomknowledge also twisted what I said. I said that even if you are in a single-sex class, you can still meet the other gender outside of school. However my opponent said, "Of course they won't (talk). Thus the point of a co-ed classroom." Just because they go to school with a single gender doesn't mean that they are their only friends.

Another argument I made that my opponent twisted is when I said, ""And finally, when girls and boys are put together, they tend to grow up to fast. Why not let children be children for a little while? They have college, and their whole life ahead of them to grow up." My opponent said, "You just said that co-ed classrooms are inhibitors. You are contradicting yourself." How is that contradicting myself? In case my opponent doesn't understand, I will clarify. In co-ed schools, boy and girls grow-up fast because they are constantly together. However, they can meet after school, but they still won't be constantly together, just for some part of the day.

Now I would like to rebut the points that my opponents made in Round 2. He said, "Current research shows that parents of students attending independent co-educational schools believe that a co-ed learning environment offers many benefits. A national survey conducted in 2005–2006 reveals that 79% of Canadian parents with children in independent co-ed schools heartily agree that these schools better reflect the diversity of our society and79% believe they better prepare students to eventually enter the workforce. In addition, 71% agree that these students are better prepared to succeeding post-secondary education."
My opponent is contradicting himself in there. I will, unlike my opponent, say why that is a contradiction. Early in Round 2 he stated that my points were, "purely opinion", and that his points, "will actually be facts, hard facts". The point he just made was a poll, which is based on opinion. This poll is also not reliable fore many factors. Firstly it does not show equality. There is no controlled variable. Also, it is only based on independent schools in Canada, where circumstances are different than they are in the U.S.

My opponent's second and final point was, "Research reveals that students at independent co-ed schools feel comfortable about who they are and have a healthy and positive attitude and self-image. In fact, 71% of students indicate that "It is easy for students at my school to find a group that they fit in with." The self-confidence expressed around fitting in enables students in a co-ed environment to perform to the best of their ability and get the most out of their educational experience." This point is weak because like I said before, it's a statistic. You can get statistics to support any side of the debate. This is one situation, in a specific area. However it is common knowledge that you have less social pressure in single-sex schools. You don't have to worry about what the other gender thinks, you are free to express yourself, and be carefree.

In this round sum up some of my points since my opponent did not refute all of my previously stated arguments. Girls and boys get distracted in co-ed classes. They always worry about getting the other genders attention in class. This also leads to a lack of participation. They get shy and are afraid to talk in the presence of the other gender. Also, statistically, children do much better academically in single-sex classes. Another reason that single-sex schooling is better is because it focuses on a specific genders brain. The brain of a girl and a boy are designed differently and single-sex schooling caters to those needs. And finally we will have other instances to talk with the other gender. Being forced to talk with them all day puts social pressures on the child. In a co-ed school, suddenly a girl is worried about how fat she is or how her hair looks in school where she should be focusing on her studies.

And Randomknowledge, I would like to suggest for you to elaborate on your rebuttals. You gave one sentence answers which were insufficient and vague. Also, spell check your arguments before you submit it.
Thankyou again,
Hereicome
Randomknowledge

Pro

Hello, hereicome, and I want to first say that you have gotten quite heated over some of my points. You even reverted to using personal and typing jabs (I.E check your spelling), and I may point out that this website is not "comebackputdownletsnotdebate.org," as many users find it to be. This is a website for debating, and debating only. They may become opinionly charged, but overall they are debates. And I do check my spelling.

First I will analyze and REBUT your points from your brief summary.

"Girls and boys get distracted in co-ed classes. They always worry about getting the other genders attention in class. This also leads to a lack of participation. They get shy and are afraid to talk in the presence of the other gender." I haveto once again say that this is opinion, as this DOES NOT happen in my school or the school of anyone I personally talk to. Therefore It cannot always be the case.

"Also, statistically, children do much better academically in single-sex classes." you also said "This point is weak because like I said before, it's a statistic. You can get statistics to support any side of the debate. This is one situation, in a specific area."

Now dont you think you just used statistics when you said they were weak and could support any side, as I used them? Think about that for a few moments.

Now, as I like to keep my final arguments short, I will sum up my information and the information in favor of Co-Education.

Often students get to hear opinions and information from a group they might not necessarily hang out with. They also get to learn different sides, as material is formulated for one genders brain (as you said) and in this case both get to experience it. Overall, my OPINION and the facts to back it up say that Co-Ed is just as good, if not better than single-sex education. Besides, where would our society be today with out our female counterparts to help us when we need it?

911hereicome

Con

Hello,
I would like to use this round to rebut my opponents points and sum up the points of my own. I said that girls and boys get distracted in the presence of each other and are sometimes afraid to speak. My opponent countered that by saying that this was not true in his school or any of his friends schools. That is a really weak rebuttal. There are many studies to prove that we get shy in front of the other gender. It is also common knowledge. You always want to impress the other gender and you don't want to sound stupid so sometimes you refrain from speaking.

I would like to list all of my previously stated points:

1. Research has been done to prove that students do better in single-sex schools. (see Round 1)

2. You get distracted by the other gender.

3. Girls and boys have different minds, scientists say, and it is important, almost necessary, to teach them separately in order to have the students properly understand the subject.

4. Faculty in single-sex schools understand their students more, and can change their lesson plan to benefit the learning styles of the specific gender.

5. Children learn to be themselves. They are free to take classes that a gender would normally not take.

6. Children grow up to fast in co-ed schools.

I have clearly listed more quantity of points which also have good quality.
Thanks to everyone reading this and to Randomknowledge for starting this debate.
Hericome
Posted by padfo0t 9 years ago
padfo0t
To 911hereicome:

I shouldn't even type this considering you are sitting right next to me... I'll just tell you instead of wasting time.
Posted by padfo0t 9 years ago
padfo0t
TO 911hereicome:

Even though you explained it to me already, I still do not get your username. I don't think anyone else does
A_e_i _m_r_n...
Posted by padfo0t 9 years ago
padfo0t
I would like to say that evryone knows those stats. Everyone who researched for the windward debate tournament knows those. I approve of '911hereicome'.
Posted by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
PRO, I went to an all girls school and 99% went to college after high school. Boys schools around here are just as successful. Not saying kids can't do well in a coed environment but you have the burden of proof to show how kids in single sex classrooms don't perform well. Also prove how kids in a coed class learn more. learning is based on the school, and the teaching not who is in the classroom.
Vote Placed by sdcharger 7 years ago
sdcharger
Randomknowledge911hereicomeTied
Vote Placed by frenchfrybabe 9 years ago
frenchfrybabe
Randomknowledge911hereicomeTied
Vote Placed by eyeleapy 9 years ago
eyeleapy
Randomknowledge911hereicomeTied
Vote Placed by cliffsofdover 9 years ago
cliffsofdover
Randomknowledge911hereicomeTied
Vote Placed by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
Randomknowledge911hereicomeTied
Vote Placed by towinistosucced 9 years ago
towinistosucced
Randomknowledge911hereicomeTied
Vote Placed by SportsGuru 9 years ago
SportsGuru
Randomknowledge911hereicomeTied
Vote Placed by padfo0t 9 years ago
padfo0t
Randomknowledge911hereicomeTied
Vote Placed by Ragnar_Rahl 9 years ago
Ragnar_Rahl
Randomknowledge911hereicomeTied
Vote Placed by Randomknowledge 9 years ago
Randomknowledge
Randomknowledge911hereicomeTied