BenJWasson
fire_wings

Students ought to be able to chew gum in class.

fire_wings

BenJWasson

Pro

First round is simply for acceptance.

This resolution is pretty clear, so I think I don't have to define anything.

I'll make my arguments in the next round.

fire_wings

Con

I accept my opponent's challenge. I thank my opponent for challenging me, I always accept challenges.

2756;3204; lol
BenJWasson

Pro

Gum PROP
Students ought to be able to chew gum in school.

DEFINITIONS:

"student"

Merriam-Webster is defined as one who attends a school. This does not specifically mean any form of school.

CONTENTIONS:
C1: Chewing gum can help with test scores and grades.
"Chewing gum is an easy tool students can use for a potential academic edge," says Craig Johnston, Ph.D. Chewing gum can help with academics involving students.

Subpoint A - Helping with memory.
Chewing gum can greatly improve memory in different ways. UK Psychologists found that people who chewed gum throughout tests of both long-term and short-term memory had significantly better results than those who don"t. Memory is a big thing in schools, and gum can greatly help with both long and short term, as I just proved.

Subpoint B - Helping with concentration.
A study done by Kate Morgan proves that gum helps with concentration. The study involved 38 participants being split into two groups. Both groups completed a 30 minute audio task that involved listening to a list of numbers from 1-9 being read out in a random manner. Participants were scored on how accurately and quickly they were able to detect a sequence of odd-even-odd numbers, such as 7-2-1. Participants also completed questionnaires on their mood both before and after the task.
The results showed that participants who chewed gum had quicker reaction times and more accurate results than the participants who didn't chew gum.
Both of these subpoints are very important with test scores and grades. Gum helps with both.

C2: Chewing gum helps students physically.
There are many different ways that chewing gum can actually help students physically. One of these is with their teeth. The American Dental Association says that chewing gum after meals (in this case it would be lunch during school) helps to not only prevent tooth decay, which is very prevalent in our world, but also acid reflux disease.

Another way that chewing gum can help students physically is by helping them not eat as much. Investigators at Louisiana State University took 115 people who regularly chewed gum and fed them lunch. They measured their cravings before and after lunch. They found that those subjects, who chewed gum three times hourly after lunch, ate fewer high-calorie snacks. The chewers also reported decreased feelings of hunger and cravings for sweet foods.

"We decreased overall snack intake by 40 to 60 calories. Having something in the mouth likely calms the appetite," explains Paula Geiselman, Ph.D, lead researcher and physiological psychologist.

For these reasons, vote pro.
fire_wings

Con

I thank my opponent for his arguments. I will make my arguments and rebut his.

Framework

BoP is on Pro. I thank my opponent for challenging me to a not so great topic :(. I will be making arguments about Concentration Problem, Public Speaking, Hearing/Listening. Thanks.

Argument 1: Concentration Problem.

Yes, gum will make concentration worse. I will be making this into 2 parts, it will distract the gum chewer: you, and other people in the school

Subpoint 1: I will distract you.

My first subpoint is that gum will distract you.

"Gum snapping and bubble blowing is distracting. There are silly things that students do unconsciously or even consciously when you turn your back to make one another laugh. Why give them another [1]?"

This also goes along with it distracts other students. Many students like to blow then pop the gum. This merely distracts many students, and including there elves. Therefore, because gum is distracting, we should not chew gum at school.

Subpoint 2: Distracts other students, also teachers.

As I said, people blow and pop gum. This makes a sound and distracts others. This is why we should not chew gum, it distracts you and others.

Argument 2: Bad for Public Speaking

Think about it. If you chew gum, your mouth will be occupied, and when you speak when you answer a question, or anything, you will be in a muffled voice, hard to understand. This is bad for you, and also the teacher because the teacher has absolutely no idea of what you are talking about if you have lots of gum in your mouth.

Argument 3: Hearing /Listening

This is basically what the 2nd argument was, other can't hear you if you chew gum. Also, you can't hear them mostly. As I put in the first argument, you get distracted when chewing gum, so you won't hear what the teacher is even talking about.

Rebuttal 1: Chewing gum can help with test scores and grades

My opponent says that it can help students with their grades. They did the test like this. They had 2 groups, they both taken tests, one chewing gum, the other one not. The ones chewing gum were smarter. But how do we know this is a correct study? What if before chewing gum, the people were already smarter, or if the people just studied? Therefore this result was not correct, or not known.

Rebuttal 2: It can help with memory

As I said in my first argument, it can depend on the different people. Some people were already smart, so it does not always mean that if one person chews gum and gets a better grade then one who does not, is not good if the gum-chewer was always an A student even before chewing gum, and the other student was a C student.

Rebuttal 3: Helps with concentration

Rebutted in my first rebuttal, second rebuttal (basically the same thing), and rebutted in my first argument.

Rebuttal 4: Helps students physically

My opponent says that it can help your teeth. However this is only sugarless gum, and many students especially don’t like sugarless gum, because why do you eat gum? Mostly for taste and is sugarless gum tasty? It is not.

My opponent says that it helps them eat not much. But gum, is eating. They both have calories, however gum does not make you have energy. So, I think this arguments is more of a bad thing to my opponent.

BenJWasson

Pro

I'm going to refute first.

To refute my opponent's Argument 1, you can easily avoid this distraction issue by making it not allowed to chew gum loudly in class. Another way to make this not happen is by not allowing the chewing of gum in class while somebody is presenting, making it so there won't be any distractions.

To refute my opponent's Argument 2, why would you want to chew gum while public speaking? Voters, this isn't even an issue, as it is common sense to not chew gum while publicly speaking. Even if this argument still stands, this can be easily avoided, because the resolution is "be able", not "have to", meaning that while publicly speaking one can just take the gum out of their mouths.

I will not refute my opponent's Argument 3, as they even say that it is the same as their 2nd argument.

Now, I am going to strengthen my own case. My opponent refutes both my memory and concentration argument with the same thing: people might have been smarter before the test was even done.

This is actually very simple: no. They were people of the same age group and of the same area of intelligence, meaning that the gum WAS the reason for their concentration and memory being better.

My opponent has refuted my physical help argument with "My opponent says that it helps them eat not much. But gum, is eating. They both have calories, however gum does not make you have energy". The average piece of gum has around 20 calories. In the study mentioned in the 2nd round, they showed that chewing on gum makes people not want to eat snacks that would have been much more calories than the piece of gum. Even if gum has calories, it is much less than what the people would have eaten without the gum.

Thank you, vote Pro.
fire_wings

Con

I will only make my defense this round, and I will rebut my opponent's defense.

Framework

I will only be making my defense this round. BoP is on Pro.

Defense

My opponent says that you can just not chew gum loudly. However, the problem is that children do, because they are being silly, so that is why it is a problem because they just do this, for fun. My opponent drops this.

My opponent says that it is common sense to not chew gum when speaking. How do you know you will speak. A gum chewer might be called at with a question, then he has gum in public speaking. My opponent drops this.

My opponent drops this by saying that it is rebutted in the second one, but I also said that the listener can't hear the people around because of the gum noise. Therefore, my opponent drops this also.

My opponent had dropped all my arguments. Thank you.

Rebuttals from Defense

My opponent says that the same age group will have the same intelligence. Nope. Some people might have learned a lot, when some people did not. The same age does not mean about the same intelligence. This is why some people get A's, and some people get C's.

My opponent says that gum has 20 calories. But then gum with flavor, which more students like because of taste has 76 calories. This is the same as juice.

Therefore, my opponents arguments are all refuted, and mine are dropped.
BenJWasson

Pro

First of all, I didn't drop any of your arguments, you just defended my refutations. Learn your debate terminology.

Now to refute. First, my opponent has said multiple times that these children were of a different intelligence, however, I have already proven that no, they weren't. The conductors of the study even say themselves that they had students from a similar intelligence and age group for the study.

Children do not chew gum to "be silly". They do it because of the flavor and of the entertainment for themselves, not others. Also, children can speak with gum in their mouths. Gum doesn't effect speech that greatly, and any gum chewers know this.

My opponent has also said, "gum with flavor, which more students like because of taste has 76 calories". Not only does my opponent not have a source for this, but I can prove it wrong either way. There are actually many less calories than my opponent states in gum. Take sugarless gum, still flavored, but much better in terms of calories. In fact, one stick of this sugarless gum from the biggest manufacturer in the world, Wrigley, is just five calories, according to their website.

My opponent has no arguments or refutations left standing, and my points therefore stand. Vote Pro for these reasons.
fire_wings

Con

I thank my opponent for posting his arguments. I will rebut my opponent's fourth round.

Framework

BoP is on Pro.

Rebuttals of round 4

"Now to refute. First, my opponent has said multiple times that these children were of a different intelligence, however, I have already proven that no, they weren't. The conductors of the study even say themselves that they had students from a similar intelligence and age group for the study.

My opponent has also said, "gum with flavor, which more students like because of taste has 76 calories". Not only does my opponent not have a source for this, but I can prove it wrong either way. There are actually many less calories than my opponent states in gum. Take sugarless gum, still flavored, but much better in terms of calories. In fact, one stick of this sugarless gum from the biggest manufacturer in the world, Wrigley, is just five calories, according to their website."

I will rebut my opponents arguments one by one.

My opponent says that same age has about sam intelliegence. As I said, then why are some students D students when some are A? This is because they have different intelligence! Then why are there scores. Then are all report cards of every student and A or B, or the same? It is because they have different intelligence!

Second of all my opponent says that they do not chew gum to be silly. But then some students, do this, because not a students actually just properly chew gum, some like to be funny or enjoy being silly. My opponent says that gum is not important in public speaking, but then your voice will be muffled so others can't hear you properly [1].

Most gums that are liked. Most bubble gums that are like are gums with sugar, because honestly, gum with sugar tastes better than sugarless gum even if they have flavor. Why? Because most children like sweet, and sugar is sweet, so they like gum with sugar!

My arguments are standing, and my opponents arguments are dropped. Vote for Con!
BenJWasson

Pro

Thank you for your case, but PLEASE stop saying that I dropped your arguments after you refute them. This isn't how the term is used. Dropped means that I never refuted it in the first place, not that you defended my refutation in your speech. Christ.

I don't think my opponent understands what I am saying. I am not saying that people of the same age group have the same intelligence, but rather the people conducting the study MADE SURE to get people from the same age and intelligence group, based on grades in school.

My opponent offers no source for their claim that students chew gum to be silly, so please ignore this, Voters.

Last of all, my opponent also offers no source for their claim that most students like to chew gum with sugar. Nevertheless, I never specified sugary gum in the resolution, so their argument is non-topical and therefore should be ignored in this debate.

Thank you, vote Pro.
fire_wings

Con

This is a debate where you have to vote for Con. I will refute my opponents 5th round.

Even though they made sure to get people from the same age or group, some people might have studied or have been strong in that part. Who knows? My opponent gives no sources for this.

My opponent says I have no source. This is my source: http://theeducatorsroom.com...

My opponent says that I have no source that students like gum with sugar. Sugar make things sweet, and many of sugar gum is good with flavor. It tastes sweet. Students like this. No students like gum with absolutely no sweetness and taste. They chew gum for flavor also.

Thank you, vote for Con!
Posted by BenJWasson 1 year ago
BenJWasson
I lost this? Hah. Alright. I obviously won, but I guess some people really hate gum.
Posted by BenJWasson 1 year ago
BenJWasson
e-z
Vote Placed by jo021698j 1 year ago
jo021698j
BenJWassonfire_wingsTied
Reasons for voting decision: This was a very hard debate to judge, and I'll explain why. Both sides needed to have more citations. This debate seemed solely on subjectiveness which weakens the argument for both sides. Pro seemed to use more sources in Round 1 but then seemed to give it up in the following Rounds. Con had a very well laid out argument that was easy to follow because of his formatting. I agreed with Con before the debate, but I was undecided after because I feel Con could have been a bit stronger. Both competitors had good conduct and the spelling and grammar was a given tie. Advice for Debaters : Make sure to use more citations in the future. It'll strengthen your arguments a little bit more.