FN-2855
SarcasticMethod

Students should NOT have to stand for O Canada

SarcasticMethod

FN-2855

Pro

Students in Canadian schools should NOT be forced to stand for O Canada for forcing them is could be a violation of multiple human rights including: Freedom of opinion or Freedom of religion (The student could be a Jehovah's Witness for example)!
SarcasticMethod

Con

Making the following assumptions:

This refers to students who are Canadian citizens;
Exceptions are made for those students who have any trouble standing - say, because of physical or mental disability, other health conditions, &c;
This refers to the practice of schools playing O Canada every morning, and students being made to stand at attention and remain silent (or sing) for the length of the song.

My rebuttal:
"forcing them is could be a violation of multiple human rights including: Freedom of opinion or Freedom of religion"
This is false. Canadian citizens are permitted to have any opinion about this issue - you specifically are probably a citizen (a guess on my part), and you won't be arrested for starting this debate, because you are free to have this opinion. Freedom of religion is an interesting point, but besides the fact that I don't know of a single religion that prohibits standing for the national anthem, I also feel that there should be limits on what constitutes freedom of religion. If there were no limits, some folk could use religion to excuse themselves from any and all citizen duties, such as taxpaying and law-abiding.

My case: Students in schools should be made to stand for O Canada. Although I feel it would be unnecessary to punish students for not abiding by this, it should still exist as a rule in Canadian schools. I feel that there are certain duties that every citizen has to Canada and what it means. One of those is the respect and love of the nation. For that reason, the anthem is an important part of Canadian culture and citizen duty that must be kept fast.
FN-2855

Pro

FN-2855 forfeited this round.
SarcasticMethod

Con

My argument stands.
FN-2855

Pro

FN-2855 forfeited this round.
FN-2855

Pro

FN-2855 forfeited this round.
FN-2855

Pro

FN-2855 forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by U.n 12 months ago
U.n
FN-2855SarcasticMethodTied
Reasons for voting decision: Multiple forfeited turns by Pro.