Students should be able to speak up in schools for what they believe.

Students should be able to speak up and say that they disagree with something the school agrees with or the teacher/student agrees with. They have as much freedom of speech as any one else.

Students are in school to be professed to and learn discourse ethics. Speaking up about anything is insubordination.

This isn't to say students should be automatically restricted, but it's important to remember that school is not an anarchic environment. It has structure which means students should be expected to prove why their questions are relevant, necessary, and germane to the topic at hand.

Otherwise, education will become a waste of time, energy, and attention. This is especially important beyond a 1:1 teacher:student ratio. Spending time dillydallying on one student can lead to the abandonment of others. That's selfish.

Yes, students are at school to learn, but in their religions they are taught to speak up for there faith. They should be ale to explain to others why they believe what they believe without silence. Martin Luther King JR. even said, "We will not remember the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

Hmmm... be fair, I was thinking of the exact opposite situation. For example, sometimes, schools expound social norms in English and history classes. In turn, a wise guy student will speak up about moral or cultural relativism.

The real problem in the situation you described doesn't seem to be that the faithful deserve the right to speak up, but that everyone else is speaking up too much, silencing the faithful out.

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
-George Washington

"Here's a nation, one of the founding pillars was freedom of speech and freedom of expression. And yet, we have imposed upon people restrictions on what they can say, on what they can think. And the media is the largest proponent of this, crucifying people who say things really quite innocently."
-Benjamin Carson

"A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything."
-Napoleon I

What do you say to these people? Students are citizens.

I say that freedom of speech is not superior to freedom of assembly. Someone's choice to express is not superior to another's choice to be impressed.

The problem with public education is it forces students to endure impression without consent. The solution isn't to increase students' freedom of speech, but to make sure that their freedom of assembly isn't violated. This pertains to both curriculum as well as bullying.

If we focus solely on freedom of speech, we basically turn schools into a warzone where students become exposed to information overload and bombardment. Weak, sensitive, thinskinned, exposed, and vulnerable students become forced to endure duress, intimidation, harassment, negligence, and provocation. Those who are bombarded with speech into submission will have their sensitivities disrespected, and they won't even be able to stand up for themselves.

You mentioned faith before. In Catholicism, this is called "universal reconciliation". Nobody is entitled to judge anyone else. This includes freedom of speech where people who engage intensely without manners judge others who don't consent to be impressed too fast, too soon.
Posted by HuskyFastpitch1998 3 years ago
It's called the first amendment and its a right given to all American citizens
Posted by dont-out-of-line.1 3 years ago
There are things that go against what I believe that the teaches believe I'm Wiccan so when they talk about the church and how that's the way I can't speak out with getting in trouble. So I block it all out and then when we do learn things we need to know I miss it. So let me speak my mind and let me be me and not what the teachers and everyone else thinks I should be.
Posted by samurai 3 years ago
i dont give a **** if i get a detention for speaking out about something i believe in...
Posted by Jboughey 3 years ago
I speak out for what I believe to one of my teachers in class and I'm proud of it.
Vote Placed by rross 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Interesting topic from Pro. I agreed with Pro at the beginning, but Con is right: schools are like workplaces. People aren't free to leave as they are in other environments. And the implied contract is that they are there to learn according to the official curriculum, so if "free speech" interferes with that it should be reasonably restricted.