Abraham665
DakotaKrafick

Students should be allowed to do their homework on school recess if they want to

DakotaKrafick

Abraham665

Pro

Student : One who is enrolled or attends classes at a school, college, or university.[1] In this case, elementary school.

Homework : Work, such as schoolwork or piecework, that is done at home.[2] But in this case, we will be arguing whether school should allow homework to be done at school or not.

Recess :A pause from doing something.[3] In this case, at the elementary school.

Rules :
1. No semantics
2. No trolling
3. No spamming
4. No profanities

The first round is for acceptance only. The debate will start in the second round. If you think that students shouldn't be allowed to do their homework on school recess, feel free to join.

1. http://www.thefreedictionary.com...
2. http://www.thefreedictionary.com...
3. http://www.thefreedictionary.com...
DakotaKrafick

Con

I accept the debate, but would like to make just one point before we move on to the arguments. I will be debating that the average elementary school student should not normally be allowed to do his/her classwork and/or homeword during recess. This means extenuating circumstances are exempt, such as if the child has two broken legs and couldn't do anything else during recess anyway.

I understand the definition of recess used in this debate is "a pause from doing something" so it may not necessarily be only the hour-long break used for physical activity, but I'll let my opponent clarify that at the beginning of his next round.

Other than that small note, I wish my opponent good luck.
Abraham665

Pro

Abraham665 forfeited this round.
DakotaKrafick

Con

I still eagerly await my opponent to begin his argumentation, though I am no longer holding my breath.
Abraham665

Pro

Abraham665 forfeited this round.
DakotaKrafick

Con

I still await for my opponent to make his/her case, but I no longer do so eagerly.
Abraham665

Pro

Abraham665 forfeited this round.
DakotaKrafick

Con

Anyone who votes Pro should have his/her voting privileges revoked.
Posted by Logic_on_rails 4 years ago
Logic_on_rails
I've sent that challenge Dakota. As specified in the challenge, let's sort out any resolutional issues prior to the debate.
Posted by DakotaKrafick 4 years ago
DakotaKrafick
Right, but again, I will want to separate the lunch period from the recess period. I will await the challenge.
Posted by Logic_on_rails 4 years ago
Logic_on_rails
Okay, this might work out into a decent challenge. You seem to hold the position that the 1 hour recess ought to be used for physical activity and eating, and nothing much else, insofar as I'm understanding you correctly.

I presume it'd be a shared burden of proof for the debate. I can't say that I have so many arguments for the resolution, but I'm intrigued by what arguments you could possibly have against the resolution.

I'll send that challenge in a day or 2 if I can.
Posted by DakotaKrafick 4 years ago
DakotaKrafick
No need to apologize, my good man. I would also be against such things as playing chess, reading novels, etc. Now that you mention, though, schools should add another recess period for activities such as those.
Posted by Logic_on_rails 4 years ago
Logic_on_rails
I can't vote, but I'd give conduct and arguments to you Dakota.

Just to be very clear, I'm used to a school day with a few lessons, then a 20 minute 'morning tea' / 'recess' , then more lessons, then a 40 minute lunchtime break. People at my school tend to have something to eat or drink at both of these times, although most of it occurs during lunch.

Also, before I potentially send the challenge, would you ban study during this time? I presume so, but I have to ask. Also, what about things like playing chess in the school library, reading novels for interest etc.

I'm sorry if this appears to be simply trivial issues, but we don't want to waste a debate figuring out the scope and meaning of the resolution.
Posted by DakotaKrafick 4 years ago
DakotaKrafick
"To clarify, the school model you're talking about has a 1 hour 'recess' / lunch break of some sort, in the middle of the day (I presume) , and this not being usable for homework?"

Correct, although I'd like to separate the time for lunch and the time for play, the time for play being "recess". I don't know if others were different, but the elementary school I went to didn't combine them.

"I'd also object to calling it a one hour period for physical activity - lunch ought to be eaten at some point."

I would not object to a student multitasking"that is, doing his/her homework while eating lunch. But I think they should be prohibited from doing homework during the time set aside for play (what I've always known to be called "recess"). If this misunderstanding is where our disagreement lied, then I suppose we have nothing to debate. If not, then feel free to send the challenge.
Posted by Logic_on_rails 4 years ago
Logic_on_rails
Clearly the American system works slightly differently to the Australian system.

To clarify, the school model you're talking about has a 1 hour 'recess' / lunch break of some sort, in the middle of the day (I presume) , and this not being usable for homework? I'd also object to calling it a one hour period for physical activity - lunch ought to be eaten at some point. Of course, food should be consumed at the end of this time period if physical activity is to occur.

Assuming we can sort out the logistical issues prior to the debate, I'd be happy to send the challenge. I would wish it done by Christmas though.
Posted by DakotaKrafick 4 years ago
DakotaKrafick
Sure, you can go ahead and challenge me, Logic. But I'd like to specifically define "recess" as the one-hour (or however long) period for physical activity, not just any five-minute break from class lectures.
Posted by Logic_on_rails 4 years ago
Logic_on_rails
Looks like a pathetically easy Con victory.

Dakota, I might be interested to take up the same resolution if you're interested. I'd be curious to see what arguments you have for advocating a ban on homework during recess.
Vote Placed by Maikuru 4 years ago
Maikuru
Abraham665DakotaKrafickTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeizzles
Vote Placed by emospongebob527 4 years ago
emospongebob527
Abraham665DakotaKrafickTied
Reasons for voting decision: Counter.
Vote Placed by emj32 4 years ago
emj32
Abraham665DakotaKrafickTied
Vote Placed by Chicken 4 years ago
Chicken
Abraham665DakotaKrafickTied
Vote Placed by Muted 4 years ago
Muted
Abraham665DakotaKrafickTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF.
Vote Placed by Ron-Paul 4 years ago
Ron-Paul
Abraham665DakotaKrafickTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF.