Students should be allowed to pray out loud in a public high school.

I have heard many accounts of high school students attending public schools reprimanded for praying out loud. Many of these incidents occur preceding an especially difficult test or exam, before the tests are handed out, and the prayers are said while the rest of the students are socializing with each other. The First Amendment guarantees the freedoms of speech and religion. Punishing students for peaceably expressing their faith violates this amendment. Therefore, students have the right to pray out loud in school.

I would like to accept his topic. I'm not sure if my opponent is introducing, but seeing as there are three rounds, I'm going to treat these as his arguments. I would also like to define a term
Out loud- Talking, not whispering it

First off, my opponent has given no concrete examples of high school students innocently praying and were scolded.
His first argument should be completely supported by evidence. He claims it was non-disruptive and before the test but were punished. He states the First Amendment, but given that its just a hypothetical situation, it doesn't mean much. From the sources I have, the school has no problem with praying, but rather the student was extremely disruptive when praying out loud.

1. Praying out loud creates conflicts
Public schools are large and diverse, and many students believe many things. If one student starts praying, others might get offended since they don't believe it. There might be problems and fighting over religion which schools want to avoid.

2. Separation between church and state
This is one of the largest reasons why students aren't allowed to pray. A public school is funded by the government, and only serves as a place to educate.
"The First Amendment has erected a wall between church and state. That wall must be kept high and impregnable. We could not approve the slightest breach."

3. Speaking out loud is not needed
It's generally common that most religions have god(s) that are all powerful. They know what you're feeling and what you're thinking. Mentally praying should work just the same way except it's personal.

ben10kangas forfeited this round.

I extend all my arguments.
Vote Con!

I apologize to Elord, my competitor, because I was not prepared for this debate. I will forfeit, not because I do not believe in the right to pray publicly, but because I was not prepared and did not present a solid argument.

It's too bad that Pro wasn't prepared, but it is his first debate and I hope he improves!
Vote Con!
Posted by ben10kangas 1 year ago
Sorry, this is the first debate I have posted.

I gave the participants as much time and space to argue as I could. There are three rounds, and a one-week voting period.
Posted by Elord 1 year ago
What are the time and stuff?
Vote Placed by kman100 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit