Students should be grouped by academic ability.

THBT "Students should be grouped by academic ability." This is coming from a Year 7 who struggles to keep up with the rest of her class. If students are grouped by academic ability, it will be easier for students to learn, and students who struggle will learn more.
How would you feel to be stressed with an overload of work every day? ,What if your went to school to find it takes your friend 1 hour to complete her homework, while it takes you 3 hours?
What do you think?

I'd like to argue that when students are sorted via 'academic ability', it really only reflects their attention and participation in class and in tests, not their actually ability in academics.

Living in a country where students are sorted by how they perform in each subject, I can safely say that the lower the class you are in, the less you get done and actually learn, because they are all disruptive and inattentive, but not necessarily less able than other students.

My school has recently tried to sort their students by ability. Although I was separated from my friends, it gave me the motivation to work harder and catch up with the rest of my age. My Mathematics particularly improved after being put two groups below majority of my friends. Students have worked so hard and have caught up so much, the school has removed the lower groups and we now have harder groups. Students should be sorted by academic ability and I know from personal experience.

I too know from personal experience, as I dropped to the third class from the second once.

This is the third class of 8 or 9, by the way, so I expected them to be just under the one I had come from.

I worked hard to get out of that class, not because I wanted to be with my friends again, nor because I wanted harder material, but because the class never got anything done. They didn't care about learning or listening to the teacher.

I shudder to think what the classes lower were like.
Posted by rainbowland 3 years ago
Thanks for your opinions!
Vote Placed by rross 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Interesting. Both sides argued from personal experience. Results from one person or one school are kind of limited, though, and would easily have been defeated by any kind of broader evidence. I gave arguments to Con for two reasons. Most importantly, Pro had burden of proof as instigator, which means it was up to her to prove the statement. Con only had to rebut. Also, Con seemed to be arguing from extended experience of classes grouped by ability. Pro said that her school tried grouping by ability, but that this experiment soon failed and the lower groups were removed. So even without BoP, I think Con's arguments were slightly stronger.