LoveyounoHomo
person9

Students should be paddled if they misbehave during school

LoveyounoHomo

LoveyounoHomo

Con

Since i am the Con for this argument i will defer and let the Pro start.
Good Luck
person9

Pro

I accept this challenge, only because the subject of child-paddling is likely not to be a popular one to take a Pro- position on. (( Note: This is not my view. I agree that students should NOT be paddled. However, I suppose it is debatable and will make my points from a debate-only standpoint )). I hope this topic was not established as an "easy win" for my opposition, as the "con" view is overwhelmingly popular, and this is why I have accepted the challenge.

*

The issue at hand is whether "Students should be paddled if they misbehave during school".

It is an obvious and simple fact that this would fall under the category of "Child abuse" or "Cruel & unusual", thereby excluding it from consideration from many individuals in our modern society in the United States (this is as far as my views can speak for). Thus, paddling a student as punishment for misbehaving is not MORALLY permissible. That is, people will feel guilty for it, or others would consider the responsible parties to be abusive and despicable.

However, the question here is not if student-paddling is tasteful. It is whether they should be paddled or not in response to misbehavior. According to simple operant conditioning, it is apparent that an individual (student in this case) will be subject to a consistent response (here, paddling) to a consistently static action (here, misbehavior in school). If the goal of the administration is to stop the students from misbehaving, as this debate title implies, then simple operant conditioning would hold true. The consequence would regularly occur in response to misbehavior, and the behavior in question would be more likely to decrease as a result of the negative sensations and experiences invoked.

Thus, the answer is that if "misbehavior" is an unwanted action as the title of the debate implies, then operant conditioning (by way of paddle or any other unpleasant consequence) is a solution. It may not be socially acceptable, but as far as eliminating the offensive behavior as the title suggests with the word "MISbehave" (i.e. unpleasant behavior), operant conditioning "should" be employed to reduce it.

This view however, is not tasteful or accepted into modern society, because this form of punishment (physical) closely resembles or is child abuse. One will note that such operant conditioning is employed, however, in other situations (with positive or negative feedback) and is quite successful.
LoveyounoHomo

Con

I would like to start off by thanking my opponent for taking this debate. I will address this is certainly not an easy win for me and wasn't put here for that reason.

Paddling a student is certainly not Moral or acceptable for any means. School surely is a place for learing and education, and not meant to be played with. Certain people seem to think that bringing back paddling will be acceptable and will keep kids in check so to say. My views i say this will just make things and situations worse on everyone. Their is certainly other means for punishment than this cruel and unusual way of putting kids down.

My opponent brings up the talk of simpe operant conditioning. This may be an awnser to misbehaving in school. It might decrease misbehavior and it might not. Even if this would decrease behavior it is certainly not acceptable. This brings me to my contentions/points.

First off Kids go through enough trouble at home and do not need more at school. I will throw a example out there. The high school where i attend there is a issue that has been going on for a while. Our school brings kids from Downtown or "East End" and puts them in our school. Some of these kids want to learn but most of them do not. I happen to know some of the kids that misbehave frequently that live in one of those two areas. They do not really have an example to look up to. They are involved in gang activity, have abusive parents, and there enviroment isnt at all good. If kids are getting abused or beat at there homes then why would paddling help with misbehavior at schools. It would certainly bring out the worse in some kids and maybe even cause kids to strike back at there paddler/teacher.

Second There is more ways of effective punishment. Suspension and Detention helps and can help with misbehaving problems. There will always be kids that dont want to learn and their will always be kids that want to learn. That however is another debate and we are not discussing effective strategies for those kids.

Third kids will strike back. Involved in gang activity kids will certainly strike back. They will feel as if they are being put down and in the gang world that is not acceptable. This will cause problems for so much more people. What do you do then? Striking a teacher is certainly misbehavior so do you keep paddling them?

I would like to thank my opponent again for accepting this debate. I look forward to the next round of this debate.

Vote Con!
person9

Pro

As acknowledged by my opponent, paddling is not widely morally accepted and may put more stress on already-pressured students.

However, the question remains, *should* it be used to decrease misbehavior?

As it stands, operant conditioning with a paddle WILL likely do the trick, as it is much more severe than spending an afternoon in detention. However, its severity is what leads most to reason that it is unnecessary.

It is up to the voters to decide, their personal preference, if a physical punishment would be the ideal choice for eliminating miscreant behavior.

Thank you!
LoveyounoHomo

Con

I would like again to thank my opponent for taking my challenge.

My opponent brought up that the question still remains Should paddling be used to decrease misbehavior. She talks about operant conditioning and how it will likely do the trick. This is still not Moral and will not be accepted.

As stated before my contentions.

1. Kids go through enough trouble at home and school.

2. Certainly more effective ways of punishment.

3. Kids striking back.

Physical punishment let alone is worse in homes. We should not bring it into our classrooms at all. Kids would be put down and there behavior would likely get worse if anything physical was to happen to them.

Once again i thank my opponent
Vote CON!
person9

Pro

My contentions:

1. Paddling is unpleasant and kids will finally abort foolish behaviors to avoid the punishment.

2. This punishment is NOT MORALLY ACCEPTABLE, however if the child was a literal animal, this method WOULD BE EFFECTIVE.

3. Therefore, it is up to the voters to decide if, in the context of the question, the MORAL respect for kids outweighs the obvious brutal effectiveness of PADDLING.

Most likely, in this society, you will not accept the idea of physical punishment. So, vote however you want.

And don't try this out at home!

:)
Posted by LoveyounoHomo 8 years ago
LoveyounoHomo
WOW Now im losing this too?
Posted by felipmartin 8 years ago
felipmartin
no i dont have anything against you, i was just saying, they actually can be paddled in school.
Posted by LoveyounoHomo 8 years ago
LoveyounoHomo
felip has something against me
Posted by LoveyounoHomo 8 years ago
LoveyounoHomo
felip has something against me
Posted by felipmartin 8 years ago
felipmartin
actually, kids can be paddled in school...
Posted by LoveyounoHomo 8 years ago
LoveyounoHomo
I still dont see how this debate is even close. not to be mean
Posted by KRFournier 8 years ago
KRFournier
This is the problem with mandatory public school. I am a believer in natural consequences. If my daughter refuses to brush her teeth, then I deny her candy to prevent tooth decay. If I disrespect my superiors at work, I'd get fired. Therefore, students that misbehave should be expelled. When they can't get a job due to lack of education, they'll realize that responsibility for their actions lied with them all along.
Posted by person9 8 years ago
person9
my point exactly. it WORKS, but it is not what people morally accept.
I think the question here was really "is it moral to beat misbehavers?" rather than "should you" to stop the behaviors. in that case i obviously would lose.

if you literally chopped off the hands of someone who stole, and did it in front of people, and enforced it every time, stealing would go DOWN because no one wants to risk that. Moral? No. Effective? Totally.
Posted by dvhoose 8 years ago
dvhoose
Pro... cite Singapore with their public beatings to win. Crime is almost zero there because the thought of being beaten with cane poles is too much bear...

Is it harsh? Yeah. Is it overly harsh? Maybe. Is it effective? Most definitely.
Posted by LoveyounoHomo 8 years ago
LoveyounoHomo
Vote Con
Vote Placed by sydnerella 8 years ago
sydnerella
LoveyounoHomoperson9Tied
Vote Placed by SouthernDeadhead 8 years ago
SouthernDeadhead
LoveyounoHomoperson9Tied
Vote Placed by hendrixliveson 8 years ago
hendrixliveson
LoveyounoHomoperson9Tied
Vote Placed by felipmartin 8 years ago
felipmartin
LoveyounoHomoperson9Tied
Vote Placed by marin24 8 years ago
marin24
LoveyounoHomoperson9Tied
Vote Placed by dirtbiker0405 8 years ago
dirtbiker0405
LoveyounoHomoperson9Tied
Vote Placed by bgruber93 8 years ago
bgruber93
LoveyounoHomoperson9Tied
Vote Placed by KRFournier 8 years ago
KRFournier
LoveyounoHomoperson9Tied
Vote Placed by LoveyounoHomo 8 years ago
LoveyounoHomo
LoveyounoHomoperson9Tied
Vote Placed by Zapurdead 8 years ago
Zapurdead
LoveyounoHomoperson9Tied