hghppjfan
TravisIsAG

Students should be required to learn a second language for high school graduation.

TravisIsAG

hghppjfan

Pro

Welcome opponent! This round you can either introduce yourself or make the rules, no debating until round 2.
TravisIsAG

Con

Hey. I don't have too much research on this topic, but I definitely don't agree so we'll see where this goes. This is my first debate, so go ahead and establish any rules you may prefer.
hghppjfan

Pro

Rules: None since this is your first debate other than the Terms of service.

Don't worry, I am a beginner too!

I think that people should be able to learn a second language.

First, many immigrants are coming to the United States, especially in Ellis island. Many of the countries have a range of peak years of 1851-1913. (Chart found on http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk...)

Second, you can become a translator in another country. For example, if you pick French, you can be an French-English translator.

Third, it shows more of the diversity in America. It is not called the melting pot without complete diversity, including languages.
TravisIsAG

Con

Alright!

1. "I think that people should be able to learn a second language."

a. Ah, I agree! But the debate is that they should be required, not allowed. To the best of my knowledge, all high schools offer a foreign language that you can take as you please. Not only this, but completing college is almost expected now and two years of a foreign language is a prerequisite for graduation.

2. "First, many immigrants are coming to the United States, especially in Ellis island. Many of the countries have a range of peak years of 1851-1913."
a. I won't argue this. There is a lot of truth to this statement and you have your sources to prove it; but it's almost irrelevant.

3. "Second, you can become a translator in another country. For example, if you pick French, you can be an French-English translator."

a. The problem is that the majority of the time, people will not be able to speak fluently after just a few years of foreign language education, let alone become a translator. One could, in theory, accomplish that goal, but it would be a matter of personal preference and dedication, but it is definitely not a popular interest or something that would be useful to the general populace.

4. "Third, it shows more of the diversity in America. It is not called the melting pot without complete diversity, including languages."

a. This is a matter of opinion, not necessarily a fact. The problem is although a more diverse country would be pleasant, you must realize that there is a large percent of people that are unwilling to learn a new language for the sake of another people. Hiring new teachers, building new classrooms, and purchasing all the associated equipment is a burden that falls on the taxpayers; and you cannot force the majority to pay for what a few will consider important.
hghppjfan

Pro

1. Big tip: when you are debating, never say I agree. Always find a but in the statement.

2. That is how you should say an argument if you cannot get one, say I won't argue this. Some people might say that they will not argue something because the statement is too imperfect.

3. Not necessarily. My mom had four years of Spanish, and spoke it fluently, especially what job she has. My mom teaches at a place where it is mostly Hispanics (no racism intended, just stating facts.

4. Sometimes, people are forced to learn more on a language because that is the only job that will hire them.
TravisIsAG

Con

I appreciate the advice, and I'll keep it all in mind. However, when one is in a debate, it tends to be important to remember to stick to the topic. I feel your rebuttal was 80% advice; you never really addressed the majority of my contentions.

"3. Not necessarily. My mom had four years of Spanish, and spoke it fluently, especially what job she has. My mom teaches at a place where it is mostly Hispanics (no racism intended, just stating facts."

a. This point isn't exactly relevant, and goes back to my previous statement. " Hiring new teachers, building new classrooms, and purchasing all the associated equipment is a burden that falls on the taxpayers; and you cannot force the majority to pay for what a few will consider important." Now, I have taken three years of Spanish and can say that no one in that class, including myself, could even get by a regular day in a Spanish speaking country, let alone translate. Just because your Mother is talented does not mean we should jump into spending millions of taxpayer dollars into forcing people to take something they will never use, or even forget.

"4. Sometimes, people are forced to learn more on a language because that is the only job that will hire them."

a. If someone wishes to take up a job that requires a secondary language, the burden of paying for it, whether that be in currency or time, falls upon them. My point still stands: You cannot force everyone to pay for what a few will want.
Vote Placed by badbob 4 years ago
badbob
hghppjfanTravisIsAGTied
Reasons for voting decision: I agree with pro that people should learn a second language however when required enters in I have to disagree. Close debate.
Vote Placed by igaryoak 4 years ago
igaryoak
hghppjfanTravisIsAGTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con had actual logical arguments, whereas Pro stuck with anecdotal evidence. Also, the "Big Tip" came off as condescending.
Vote Placed by Mathaelthedestroyer 4 years ago
Mathaelthedestroyer
hghppjfanTravisIsAGTied
Reasons for voting decision: All of pro's arguments were mere opinions. The only source he/she used was completely irrelevant and had no purpose in this debate. Con used factual arguments and adequately refuted all of pro's assertions. I'm also giving conduct to con because of pro saying "Big tip: when you are debating, never say I agree. Always find a but in the statement." I thought this came across as very condescending and a bit rude, whether that was the intent or not.