Lulwa
wherehad

Students should have right to pick only those disciplines they're interested in

wherehad has forfeited round #2.

Lulwa

Pro

Students should choose the disciplines they're interested in because: (1) They will be more creative in their field and therefore they will benefit the workplace they will be working in. (2) In doing so, in the long term they will be professionals in their field and gain experience which will enable them to become leaders in the near future.
wherehad

Con

I accept the challenge. I will be debating from two standpoints. (1) Some students would choose very poor types of disciplines, and there would be more uneducated people walking around on this Earth. (2) If you would really like to learn anything beyond your school curriculum, it can be done easily with the internet.
Lulwa

Pro

In general I'm talking about University students only (Sorry .. I forgot to clarify this). For the first point: Students in this age are grown ups already so they know how to choose the right discipline. For the other point, the University school curriculum is the core of learning so, the decision to go for a certain discipline should be right and related to their own interest. Any other studying paths can be learned using the internet.