mongeese
rangersfootballclub

Students should never be required to write sympathy cards in class.

mongeese

mongeese

Pro

Alright, in the 6th grade, someone in my class's LC (Learning Community) had a mom who died of some disease. I had no clue who that person was, and I doubt I ever talked to that person. Then one of the teachers of the LC walked into our classroom and told everyone how the kid's mom died, and the kid wasn't going to show up for a few days, and about how nobody should try to start a conversation about the subject.
And then, every student in the LC (that's about a hundred kids) is required to write a little sympathy card by folding a piece of paper in half and writing something on each of the four rectangles formed by the card. We weren't asked to do it. We weren't suggested to do it. We were required to write a card to someone most of us didn't even know about how we feel sorry for the person for his mom dying. Now, if I were that kid, reading through a hundred cards from people I didn't know constantly mentioning my mom being dead would only make the pain worse. I didn't even know what to write on the card, so it ended up sounding very apathetic, which was even worse.

The point is, I think that a group of students should never be required to write sympathy cards to anybody.
rangersfootballclub

Con

you said that you were not required you were suggested to write one , so simple answer if you do not want to write one don't.

On the other hand , its a nice gesture and I'm sure the kid will ultimately appreciate everybody support , as do a lot of people who have just lost somebody , Take Phil O'Donnell widow ( a football player who died on the pitch here in Scotland , or a soccer player as you Americans call it ) everybody criticized the sending of football tops to her family and ones being laid outside the ground , saying it will only add to her grief , a while after this she came out with a public statement saying thank you to everybody who showed their support because it helped her get through it all . Now I don't know if this kid will appreciate the gesture by the whole school showing their support , most people would , because after a while you accept somebody gone and there's nothing you can do and support from people always helps .
mongeese

Pro

Thanks for accepting this debate.

"you said that you were not required you were suggested to write one , so simple answer if you do not want to write one don't."
What I said earlier: "We weren't asked to do it. We weren't suggested to do it. We were required to write a card to someone most of us didn't even know about how we feel sorry for the person for his mom dying."

It seems as if you misread what I said. The fact is, everyone was REQUIRED to write the letter.

"On the other hand , its a nice gesture and I'm sure the kid will ultimately appreciate everybody support , as do a lot of people who have just lost somebody , Take Phil O'Donnell widow ( a football player who died on the pitch here in Scotland , or a soccer player as you Americans call it ) everybody criticized the sending of football tops to her family and ones being laid outside the ground , saying it will only add to her grief , a while after this she came out with a public statement saying thank you to everybody who showed their support because it helped her get through it all . Now I don't know if this kid will appreciate the gesture by the whole school showing their support , most people would , because after a while you accept somebody gone and there's nothing you can do and support from people always helps ."

I'm sure that everyone who sent football tops to the widow knew who Phil O'Donnell (spelled Donnell, not Donnel http://www.sundaymail.co.uk...) was, and had watched him play football, and admired him for his football playing. I, on the other hand, in addition to a large number of students in my class, didn't know who it was whose mom had died. As I said earlier, the card ended up sounding very apathetic, which kills the entire point of a sympathy card. Everyone who sent football tops had the option to do so, and were probably crying as they did so. I, however, was not very concerned; rather, I was concerned about how I could put together a sympathy card for a person who until recently I hadn't known to exist.

Another key difference is the fact that with football tops, you can just look at them all and know how much support you have. With cards, though, you actually have to read them, one after the other, apathetic card after apathetic card, and frustration builds up in you.

And so, students should never be required to write sympathy cards in class because they probably won't know the person they're writing to and will sound apathetic.
rangersfootballclub

Con

the way you made it sound you were suggested to write them but , why not ? you nkow they will never be read and they are like football tops there to be looked at in there hundreds , teaches children these days that shwoign support for somebody is good, I mean the cards werent for her , shes dead. The cards were for the kid to show that everybody cares , and im sure theeres not a person in your school that didnt care ?

I have been to countless amounts of funerals because I was forced into going as a kid , i never meet the person nor the realtives , my parents new them , but it didnt bother me i went there to show to these people that they do care.

Its nice when a school becomes a community like that , fair enough i suppose forcing them to write one is unfair , but it is just in teachign children something .

remember only one or two of these cards will be looked at.
mongeese

Pro

"the way you made it sound you were suggested to write them but , why not ?"
Because I didn't really care enough to want to add an apathetic card to his pile of cards, and because...
"you nkow they will never be read "
...they'll never be read. Why write something not meant to be read? There's no point. I might as well write "SYMPATHY CARD" on the front and leave the inside blank, but then I run the risk of the person opening it and realizing that I actually left it blank, and then the person gets very upset and starts crying, and that wouldn't be very good, now, would it?

"The cards were for the kid to show that everybody cares , and im sure theeres not a person in your school that didnt care ?"
I felt just as bad for him as I would for anybody who I heard had a relative who died. And I can't send cards to everybody whose relative died, because then I'd spend my afternoons writing notes to people I hear about in the news.
Some people at my school are even more apathetic than I am. I doubt they'd care about someone they'd never even met.

"fair enough i suppose forcing them to write one is unfair"
Well, I think that you just conceded my point.

"remember only one or two of these cards will be looked at."
Then why did I just write it?

CONCLUSION:
Students should never be required to write sympathy cards in class. Vote PRO.
rangersfootballclub

Con

i did not conceed you point , please look at my follow up to that.

look there not asking you to do much they are asking you to write a quick crappy card once a year tops i bet you , i never said dont pout anything in them , its the fact that they are there showing the person you sympthasises with them. No offecne but you have the attitude of most children , "why should I ???" because its the right thing to do.

also remember this school cant really force you to do these sort of things if you have a problem comforting a kid who jsut lost his mum , tell your parents to go to the school and it will quickly stop.
Posted by mongeese 7 years ago
mongeese
Yeah, I won this debate, too.

CON's final argument was basically, "Too bad!"
Posted by rangersfootballclub 7 years ago
rangersfootballclub
but he started it !!!! lol
Posted by I-am-a-panda 7 years ago
I-am-a-panda
Ranger and WJM, stop being women!
rangersfootballclub
wjmelements jsut ebcause you obv dont like me please stop following my debates like some kidn of sad child , and just incase you have not looked at my profile , i live in scotland which is part of the united kingdom , which by the way is not in the united states ... meaning i cant vote ....
Posted by wjmelements 7 years ago
wjmelements
I bet he voted for himself. Don't sweat it.

No one really voted against you.
rangersfootballclub
i know i dont care lol

most people these days give all 7 points to the person they agree with , its the beter way , maybe they shoudl introuduce a ne vote system , agree or disagree.
Posted by mongeese 7 years ago
mongeese
The point is, I know that you can't win a fair grammar vote.
rangersfootballclub
what and soruces was won by you ? guess a lot of your friedns from school voted at this because the cant be botherd writing a letter comforting a kid who lost his mum , i understanding its a real pain is'nt it.
Posted by mongeese 7 years ago
mongeese
Alright, who decided to try to cheat the system and give rangersfootballclub seven points? Grammar and sources couldn't have been won by him.
Posted by studentathletechristian8 7 years ago
studentathletechristian8
yea dude that wouldve been a pretty good idea. it makes the person feel special and cared about rather than getting pity
Vote Placed by Madoki 7 years ago
Madoki
mongeeserangersfootballclubTied
Vote Placed by Zapurdead 7 years ago
Zapurdead
mongeeserangersfootballclubTied
Vote Placed by filmlash 7 years ago
filmlash
mongeeserangersfootballclubTied
Vote Placed by Brian1228 7 years ago
Brian1228
mongeeserangersfootballclubTied
Vote Placed by Epicism 7 years ago
Epicism
mongeeserangersfootballclubTied
Vote Placed by rofflewoffles 7 years ago
rofflewoffles
mongeeserangersfootballclubTied
Vote Placed by studentathletechristian8 7 years ago
studentathletechristian8
mongeeserangersfootballclubTied
Vote Placed by wjmelements 7 years ago
wjmelements
mongeeserangersfootballclubTied