PlanetTutTutTurtle
1Historygenius

Students should not be required to learn a second language

1Historygenius

PlanetTutTutTurtle

Con

First round acceptance, NO SEMATICS!!
1Historygenius

Pro

OK its on. I await for my opponent's response.
PlanetTutTutTurtle

Con

Sorry for confusion: I am for this statement, not against. This also explains my confusion in the comments, as I had thought I was Pro. Sorry for confusion: I am saying that students should not be required to learn a second language in HIGH SCHOOL.
So to be clear, I do not think it should be required for students to learn a second language in high school. And like I said in the first round, no sematics! Thanks goes to my opponent for his patience.

ANYWAY...1. Very little students actually remember the second language that is taught. They take it just to get "A's," not to actually consume knowledge. Very little of them go into something that require this-as the world is getting smaller, so they forget it.

2. While the language may be helpful, it should not be required.*

3. Most high school students have a hard enough time learning English, so a foreign language would only get them farther behind. Many will not even try anyway, just wasting money. "You give them books and give them books, but all they do is eat the pages."

4. The state (whichever state you live in, that is, if you live in America), lowers standards so foreign language can get in.

*You have to take three or so years of language to get into college.

LALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALAL
http://www.gsusignal.com...
1Historygenius

Pro

Now here is why we need to learn a second language.

"1. Very little students actually remember the second language that is taught. They take it just to get "A's," not to actually consume knowledge. Very little of them go into something that require this-as the world is getting smaller, so they forget it."

My opponent opened the ball game with this statement. The idea that students just go into foreign languages just to simply get "A's" is wrong if not ludicrous. Now to be fair I am sure a certain amount of students do this, but not all. As a matter of fact most students who want to be teachers need to learn a second language because what happens if the position you are put into IS Spanish, French, German,etc. This also includes College professors, businessmen who travel abroad, and ambassadors. Also there is a lot of jobs in linguistics. Linguists work for a range of organizations, including universities and colleges, high tech companies, research institutions, consulting firms, government, and the military (1). Oh and by the way when you are moving to another country it is probably important to learn their language. For example in Europe there are various languages and people need to learn a lot of them to communicate with each other.

"2. While the language may be helpful, it should not be required."
This statement is basically the whole point of your argument and thus I will ignore this and get to your further details.

"3. Most high school students have a hard enough time learning English, so a foreign language would only get them farther behind. Many will not even try anyway, just wasting money. 'You give them books and give them books, but all they do is eat the pages.'"

Students who already have a hard enough time learning English are probably lazy or have learning disabilities and there are alternatives to help them learn (2). Furthermore these students seem quite motivated to learn a different language (3):

"When you have a job later on, it's important to know different languages to communicate with different clients."
— Connor Schmidt, freshman, Southwest Junior High School

"There are lots of jobs that require you to speak another language, and it always looks good on a resume."
— Hollie Murphy, eighth-grader, SWJHS

"Because it looks good on your college transcript, you get to learn about foreign countries, and if you ever want to go there, you can talk to the natives."
— Travis Freese, freshman, SWJHS

"4. The state (whichever state you live in, that is, if you live in America), lowers standards so foreign language can get in."

Sacrifices now can reach grander rewards later.

In closer, learning a language is more than just learning to speak. It is about understanding another culture and different ways of thinking. It broadens our minds and helps us to conceptualize ideas that are outside our own experiences.

1. http://www.omniglot.com...
2. http://www.miusa.org...
3. http://www2.ljworld.com...
PlanetTutTutTurtle

Con

PlanetTutTutTurtle forfeited this round.
1Historygenius

Pro

My opponent forfeited so it is kind of obvious who to vote for.
Posted by RoyLatham 4 years ago
RoyLatham
The resolution should affirm "Students should be required to lean a second language." The point of going Con on a negative seems to be to avoid the work of preparing an affirmative case.

The challenge says no semantics, but the resolution is poorly defined. Is it all students everywhere, or just in the United Sates, or what?
Posted by Deathbeforedishonour 4 years ago
Deathbeforedishonour
I agree with this so much..
Posted by phantom 4 years ago
phantom
Read my statement again and perhaps learn how to set up a debate.
Posted by PlanetTutTutTurtle 4 years ago
PlanetTutTutTurtle
Because that's my belief....um duh.
Posted by phantom 4 years ago
phantom
Why on earth would you choose to make a negative statement and be con rather than just making a positive statement and be pro?
Posted by jfowler515 4 years ago
jfowler515
i will do this debate if u change the rounds to 5
Vote Placed by ConservativePolitico 4 years ago
ConservativePolitico
PlanetTutTutTurtle1HistorygeniusTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF final round. Confusion.
Vote Placed by 16kadams 4 years ago
16kadams
PlanetTutTutTurtle1HistorygeniusTied