GorillazDebate
Loofa

Students should not have to wear uniforms.

Loofa

GorillazDebate

Pro

Students of any school in the country should not have to wear because it's taking freedom of expression. Yes, expressing your style can be made in different ways such as the hair. If you're expressing yourself through your hair then that's not really ALL of what you want to express. Most schools that do have uniforms deny to let the average student wear a different color from the uniform such as a hat,scarf's,bows, ect. Most students don't like the way they look in the uniform and most parents accept the idea because it saves money on school clothes and cost less during school supplies shopping. Most students have said, "The uniforms take the expression from students." , "Uniforms should be worn because no one would judge on what each other wear because everyone would be wearing the same thing." Students have spoken for themselves. And it is true that many students will judge each other on what they wear, but it doesn't matter. Uniforms are a way of saying, "I'm a dull student that isn't allowed to wear what I want, however I want it."
Uniforms take away that expression of your own personality, who you are, if you take that from a student then most won't be who they really are because they're afraid to either be made fun of for sticking out of the crowd, or breaking the rules but most don't' care about the rules. Uniforms take away who your are and should not be worn to schools.
Loofa

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for starting this debate, and I hope to change her opinion before the debate is done. I would like to take three main points and end by rebutting some of my opponent's points. First I would like to discuss the sense of unity that comes with a uniform. Second I would like to discuss the economic benefits of a school uniform. Thirdly I would like to discuss the social benefits of a school uniform.

Let me start out by saying that I went to a school with a required uniform code. The uniform served as a common point of discussion between all students. Whether you were a Freshman, Senior, boy, or girl, you followed the uniform code. Everyone wearing the same uniform made the student body feel more connected. Secondly, with less time spent getting ready in the morning students have time to get more sleep and be more prepared for class in the morning.

Second is the economic benefit. Parents especially in inner-city schools do not have the money to spend on expensive designer clothes for school. 3 sets of school uniform can be bought for around $70, around the same as a hoodie from Abercrombie and Fitch. [1] Parents in tough financial situations should not be forced to buy different clothes for their children for every day of the week.

Thirdly I would like to talk about the social benefits of a uniform. First and foremost, it decreases teasing. Students are constantly teased because they don't wear the right clothes. Since this takes clothes out of the equation more groups can coexist without bullying. Secondly, It decreases gang allegiance as well. If gangs cannot show their colors, it eases tensions because no one knows their gang affiliation. Also it decreases school violence this [2] video, though a little extreme shows the benefits of having students tuck in their shirts. Intruders to the school are also easier to spot if everyone is in uniform.

"Students of any school in the country should not have to wear because it's taking freedom of expression."

My opponent seems to be under the assumption that dress is the only way to express ones self. I disagree 100%. I would say that is almost insignificant. At my school, we were extremely creative and able to express ourselves through the arts, and music. There are plenty of other ways to express your individuality.

"I'm a dull student that isn't allowed to wear what I want, however I want it."

My opponent is using the stereotype that students who wear uniforms are uptight and dull. Nothing could be further from the truth. I have classmates who skydive, scuba dive, and drive stock cars. Not being allowed to wear what we want in class does not, make us dull.

"Most students don't like the way they look in the uniform..."

I would like to disagree with this from personal experience, I really liked my uniform. I wore a white button-up, red tie, navy sweater vest and khaki pants for most of my high school career. I really liked the way I looked in that uniform (probably where I got my fondness for sweater vests). Of my class mates I talked to, most of them said they did not mind the way the uniform looks.

Because of the class unity, economic effects, and social benefits of uniforms, as well as the facts that uniformed students have other ways to express creativity, and are not dull I urge a Con vote.

[1] http://www.abercrombie.com...
[2] It's up at the top
GorillazDebate

Pro

Ok, you have explained the three major things. Yes, students can express their ways by music or art, most schools don't have band or art classes, they may have music class which has to do with mostly the instrument The Recorder.
Students that wear the uniforms can express their personalities by just being their selves, but most students don't have many friends because they don't know who their TRUE, FULL, personalities.

Students take the concept of "Looking Good" in the uniforms most students do have a big of a stomach so if the uniform makes them feel more conscious about their body so that being said by a student it's possible for the student to become Bulimia, Anorexia, ect. If not possible for the student to be self conscious on how they look in the uniform and they claim to enjoy them, that is accepted. Some majority of the students don't like the uniforms because you have to tuck in your shirt. It is safer to keep all students shirts tucked in so no gang members are able to hide any weapons such as knifes,guns, ect.

Students wearing the same uniform will be less bullied about what they wear. This is true but most students aren't judged on what they wear and how they wear it. Uniforms don't make anyone look any different on the outside. The labels people are given are Nerd,Jock,Prep,Band Nerd, Science Geek, ect. The labels that people are given stay the same no matter how you dress, it's all based on the way that you act, yes, this does fall into the category of expressing yourself. But my point being is that not all students like the uniforms, yes, they are safer, but most students don't like the way they look in the uniform because they're supposedly not "Thin."
Students shouldn't have to wear the uniforms, most think the uniforms are quite comfortable but others or as you would call them the "Misfits" they may not like the colors because they would like to wear pink,purple,black,yellow,green,white,ect,ect.
Loofa

Con

I would like to use this round to refute my opponents attempts to attack my arguments. She says as one of her first arguments this round that,

"Most schools don't have band or art classes, they may have music class which has to do with mostly the instrument The Recorder."

This is woefully inaccurate. The choir from my high school (uniformed) was the North Dakota Governor's Choir 2 years in a row. Also, I see no factual basis for this proclamation. I know in my hometown, all 4 major high schools as well as the 3 middle schools all have art classes and extracurricular activities for those who want them. It is not true that there is not art classes that students can take.

Even if there are only what my opponent would consider "sufficient creative opportunities" in one school in the country the Con side prevails. She states, "Students of any school in the country should not have to wear [uniform]." By using the word "any" my opponent has shown that if a uniform would work for one school, the con would win the debate. She goes on to say "most schools don't have band or art classes." Implying that some do. Therefore, the argument of students being able to express themselves different ways than in dress prevails.

Secondly, my opponent asserts that "most students don't have many friends because they don't know who their TRUE, FULL, personalities." This implies she thinks that it is difficult to make friends at school if you wear a uniform. I can say from personal experience that it is not. I met some of my best friends in a school where we were required to wear uniforms. I disagree personally on this point, the Pro still seems to be working off her stereotype of uniformed students as nerdy goody two shoes style students, this isn't true.

Thirdly, by my opponent's second paragraph I assume she was saying something along the lines of "students may feel self conscious while wearing the uniforms." School uniforms are not designed to be looked at, therefore taking the problem of distracting clothing out of the classroom. For this specific reason people are less likely to feel self conscious about how they look, because everyone looks the same.

My opponent also states, "It is safer to keep all students shirts tucked in so no gang members are able to hide any weapons such as knifes,guns, ect." I agree and this was a point I made in my constructive, see video above.

Fourthly, my opponent very clearly concedes that most students aren't judged on what they wear, therefore her point about wearing clothes as self expression becomes weak, seeing as no body notices anyway.

In short I have refuted my opponents contentions. My opponent has made no effort to attack my contention about the economy and has conceded on the point that uniforms make for a safer school environment. I urge a Con vote.
GorillazDebate

Pro

GorillazDebate forfeited this round.
Loofa

Con

My opponent has conceited her final argument and not defended my attacks on her contentions, therefore I urge a Con vote.
Vote Placed by 16kadams 2 years ago
16kadams
GorillazDebateLoofaTied