Lover89
Craighawley215

Students should start school later

Craighawley215

Lover89

Pro

Students should start school later. It is known that students who don't get 8 to 9 hours of sleep will not do so well.
Craighawley215

Con

I accept the debate, and wish Pro the best of luck.

I will be arguing that students do not need to start school later.

In the interest of fairness, I will allow Pro to post their argument in Round 2 before I proceed with my argument.
Lover89

Pro

Lover89 forfeited this round.
Craighawley215

Con

I sincerely hope that Pro is not forfeiting this debate entirely, and will, out of courtesy, give Pro the benefit of the doubt by giving them another "free round." If Pro does not respond in Round 3, I will be forced to proceed under the assumption that Pro has chosen to forfeit this debate.
Lover89

Pro

Lover89 forfeited this round.
Craighawley215

Con

Since Pro has chosen to forfeit this debate, there is no need for me to post my arguments. I must say, that I am slightly disappointed in Pro's decision to forfeit this debate, as I was looking forward to a back and forth on this topic.

I motion that Pro, by forfeiting rounds 2 and 3, fails to produce an argument, sources, or any content. Thus, Pro forfeits all possible points in the voting period.

Please vote Con.
Lover89

Pro

Lover89 forfeited this round.
Craighawley215

Con

Arguments extended.

Please vote Con.
Lover89

Pro

Lover89 forfeited this round.
Craighawley215

Con

Arguments extended.

Please vote Con.
Posted by George_Lenton 1 year ago
George_Lenton
I can understand where the argument for the 'pro' side can be based, but will have to disagree with the topic statement.

As a student, in my final year of college, each morning I wake up at 6 with no issues or problems. This is certainly a time earlier than most would wake, and thus is worth basing this point upon. The matter at hand shouldn't consider altering the time at which student start school, which on average is between the times of 08.30 - 09.00 , though occasionally being slightly earlier.

Most children get up at approximately 07.00 - 07.30, sometimes later, sometimes earlier; which I believe is perfectly reasonable. The issue is the time that they go to sleep. Most students I know say they go to bed between approximately 21.30 - 00.00, the majority being around 22.00. Even then, they're getting at least 9 hours of sleep and in my case 8. As stated in the 'pro's' first post, children need approximately 8-9 hours of sleep. If they were to go to bed at a more reasonable time, let's assume between 20.30 - 22.00 to allow for travel times and homework / dinner / housework after school, most would receive a decent amount of sleep, and the remaining would receive a reasonable amount.

I can go to be from anywhere between 21.00 - 01.00, and get up at 06.00 still (though certainly grouchier after the latter) -- this includes arriving at home at 18.00 most days (19.30 on Tuesdays as I finish college at 18.00), doing the housework, most days I cook dinner, and I still have enough time to fit in homework, coursework or revision. Most often I'll get to bed at approximately 23.00. While this isn't the recommended, my course demands it, and the average student has a far more forgiving timetable. Thus I believe there need be no change to the starting time of schools or colleges.

Good luck to both sides nonetheless.
Vote Placed by salam.morcos 1 year ago
salam.morcos
Lover89Craighawley215Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro ff