kaustubhj
romeoboy

Students should understand what they are learning

kaustubhj

Pro

Students should understand and do experiments on what they are learning rather than just memorizing everything the day before an exam. When they understand and ask questions, their mind keeps those questions fresh in their minds. When they memorize, sometimes they might forget stuff, and lose marks. its not doing them any good. If you understand something, it stays with you for life.
romeoboy

Con

Its good if students understand what they are learning, but I don't think that they necessarily should.
Just because they are students doesn't mean that they must comprehend whatever is being taught to them.
They do, after all, have the freedom to refuse.
kaustubhj

Pro

refuse to study? refuse to getting a good job? refuse to a better life with great income, just because they couldn't understand what they were being taught?
romeoboy

Con

I did mention earlier that it is good if they understood, but that its not a must.
If a student was concerned about his or her career, he or she would make an effort to understand. Not every student must have a career-oriented goal. There are some who have attained greater success without indulging much into our institutionalized education, such as Thomas Edison.

And not everything that we learn comes to use, which makes it irrelevant to us and thus not worth understanding. For example, we know that there are eight planets in our solar system, but how many of us actually benefit from this knowledge. I certainly haven't because I am not engaged in much scientific activity, or more specifically any astronomical or cosmic field of work. Therefore, that knowledge does not make much of a difference to me.
kaustubhj

Pro

Knowledge is something learned either from experience or education. It"s something that all of us have and use constantly. Some of us have more knowledge in specific areas than others, that is what defines us as an expert. My thought discussed in this article will answer two questions for you "why do we need to learn?" and "how can more knowledge change my current situation in life?" By answering these two questions you will have a better idea how and what you can do to change your life by gaining new information.

Why do we need to learn?

Learning is the process of adding new information, facts, and skills to our mind and improving upon our current set of skills. We start learning the instant we are born and never stop until the day we die. You may not realize it, but you are learning and gaining knowledge everyday. This information is then applied to your current life and you use it to make decisions from that moment forward.

If you stopped learning then you would probably die or start doing really poorly in life afterwords. Life in itself is constantly changing. There is nobody that does the exact same thing at 1 year old that they do at 100. In the course of those 99 years a person will have been in several different locations, changed friends, family that they live with, lovers, jobs, health situations, etc. All of this change brings you to a new chapter in your life. This new part of your life can only be managed and done correctly by using the knowledge you acquired before things changed and starting the moment that they began to change for you.

This acquisition of new information forms a path for you to follow in order for you to be as happy and content as you possibly can. Without the right information that you can use moving forward you might end up with hardships, bad decisions, loss of a job, bad health, and several other circumstances that aren"t very favorable. By having the right information available you will make better choices that will produce an outcome which is much more favorable.

How can more knowledge change my current situation in life?

Now that you"ve had a taste of why you need to learn, let me break it down to help you better understand how more knowledge is better.

Example: Car Buying

The scenario is buying a used car. If you have no knowledge about cars, buying from car lots, interest rates, car values, etc. You might end up putting yourself in a hardship where you spend more money than you should over a longer course of time to purchase a car that might not be worth very much. Here is a list of knowledge you need in order to buy a used car.
Value of the car. How much is this car worth now? How much depreciation does this car have in it"s current condition?
Interest rate and how much this affects your payments. How much this raises the total value of the car.
The general condition of the car. How well does it run? How long with this last before needing repairs?
Money management. What kind of car price fits into my budget? How can I make sure I always have enough money for payments, insurance, and repairs?
How reputable is this car lot? Where do I find out?
How long will this particular model of car hold out. Will I still be able to drive it in 10 years?
What happens in an unforeseen event. What if I can"t pay my payment. What if I want to move? What if I lose my job? What if my health gets bad?
The list could go on and on. The point here is, without this information you may enter a contract for 5 years on a car payment that might be a serious financial burden you can"t get out of. Who wants to spend the next five years working a second job just because they overpaid for a car? Not me!

Here is a list of some sources you can gain knowledge from.

Every single person you come into contact with. Grocery stores, gas stations, when you pay bills, standing in lines, etc.
Co-workers
The internet (my favorite)
Your local library
Books
School
Getting out and getting experience. Experience is one of the best teachers of new knowledge.
Research
Gaining new knowledge will help you get anywhere you want in life. It will make your current situation better and improve on any future ones. You will feel better about the choices you make and the challenges that you face. Never shy away from knowledge and you will become better equipped to handle life and make the choices that bring you happiness and contentment.

this is what happens with general knowledge...
your planet example is also a general knowledge question
romeoboy

Con

romeoboy forfeited this round.
Posted by kkshake 1 year ago
kkshake
This is a dumb debate lol. Of course students should understand what they are learning. However, you need set guidelines in order to track their comprehension. There are plenty of resources both in and outside of school if a child doesn't understand the material. Therefore, if they lose marks it's because they didn't put the effort in to understand the material. If you have a good understanding of the material, knowing the details will become second nature.
Posted by kkshake 1 year ago
kkshake