YourMomoness
davisscottaz

Students should wear uniforms.

YourMomoness

Pro

This is a debate that is on school uniforms. I have asserted that they should be worn and am sticking with it. The second round will be the main argument. The third, rebuttals. And the forth closing statements. (no language or fallacies will be tolerated.if they are used, you forfeit)
davisscottaz

Con

I've never seen a good reason for school uniforms or dress code. Of course there has to be a certain level of decency kept on a campus but beyond exposing sexual organs or showing up basically nude I don't think that there should be restrictions such as a uniform put on students at any level.
YourMomoness

Pro

As to your comment in your previous post, in 2013 a student was charged with indecent exposure when said student paraded around the Carnegie Mellon University half dressed.

My first point is that students are often pressured to wear the 'right clothes'. Sometimes to the extreme of bullying. This would not happen however because the students would be dressed in the congruent uniform. to back that up, a study was done with more 1,500 teens and 64% were bullied because of clothing. Thus bullying would go down.

Secondly, if the school leaders decide on a females uniform that us not tight, revealing, etc., then the male students would pay more attention in class. The sexual offenses would go down as well. One study was done by the u.s. Department of Education and it states that sexual offenses fell 74% after the uniform policy took affect.

My final reason is that it would flat out help behavior. School crime, fights, and as I mentioned, sexual offenses would all significantly come down. In the study I already mentioned school crime fell 36%! After they started with a uniform! Fights decreased by 51%! And sexual offenses fell 74%. So since I see no valid reason to do otherwise, uniforms should be made mandatory!
davisscottaz

Con

A students clothing, depending on the individual,can mean a way to express themselves, show who they are, essentially speaking without words. Most people would agree that you can tell a lot about someone by how they present themselves. this would make the choices that we make with our clothing an extension of free speech.

The supreme court case Tinker v. Des Moines Independent Community School District stated that the school did not have the right to limit the freedom of speech so long as the medium that the students are using is non violent and not distracting from the learning environment. Now even though the case was specifically about armbands that students were wearing to protest the vietnam war I believe the Idea carries over the the dress code; That so long as the student isnt wearing anything that compleatly distracts from the learning environment then they should be free to express themselves in any way they choose. The only stipulations to the freedom to wear whatever they choose the indivdual administrations of the schools are free to decide within in reason what would be considered a distraction in the classroom.
YourMomoness

Pro

Exactly, and just about all clothes are distracting. Though if you're all wearing the same thing there is nothing interesting to distract you. I would like to point out that you are extremely close to a fallacy by the fact that this is not about free speech, this is school uniforms, and I will slightly concede that there is a extremely slight loss of personality. However, it is not gone as some people would have you believe, and besides, if a student truly needs clothing to express themselves, they honestly probably don't have that much to express, I realize that sounds outrageously rude but it's true. If you would be so kind as to refer to my post in the comments section, you will find a extension on this, the comment reads that it is directed towards 'superburit0'. Thank you.
davisscottaz

Con

davisscottaz forfeited this round.
YourMomoness

Pro

So to recap, students should wear uniforms because they help behavior, because they are more professional and because the students would be bullied less. Thank you for debating with me, I appreciated it. And with that, I am done.
davisscottaz

Con

davisscottaz forfeited this round.
Posted by YourMomoness 1 year ago
YourMomoness
One thing supeburrit0,
I agree that the school system and government in general should not control everything, and that, is why I'm home schooled. :) what do you think about homeschooling?
Posted by YourMomoness 1 year ago
YourMomoness
Seriously, why?
Posted by YourMomoness 1 year ago
YourMomoness
@davisscottaz,
Why did you forfeit?
Posted by superburrit0 1 year ago
superburrit0
I completely respect your opinion and religion. Now I must speak freely without judgement and any implications.
I used to wear school uniforms back in my country. I had my formal wear for in school and I had the "sports" wear (white shirt with school logo and red-ish sweats.) Though I did not have much money back home, I realized the importance of the school uniform in my developing country. It provided an equalizer for students taking away class system based on appearances and most importantly it took away expression and creativity.
Now I attend college in a foreign country to me (United States), and I do not need to wear a uniform and I like that. It allows me to express some of my personality as well allowing me to stand out. I believe uniforms encourage conformity rather than creativity and personality. We are humans and uniforms I believe are oppressive and a way for authority to further control the mass.
I believe that uniforms are detrimental to adult development as well. Uniforms can be a way to hinder adulthood if we all of a sudden make a transition from school to life. It's like being thrown into the ocean and expected to swim. I loved uniforms when I was younger merely because they were the nicest clothes I had to wear, but as i grew older, i was given options and opportunites and school uniforms, in my opinion are detrimental to adulthood.
Posted by YourMomoness 1 year ago
YourMomoness
To: superburit0,
I understand where you're coming from and i get the point but i would like to say one thing,
People are people and will be who they are no matter what they wear, and if they really need clothes for that, then i think they may need a bit more help in building character rather than wearing cool clothes.

I realize this probably wont mean much to you but as a Christian it's important to me,

1 Peter 3:3-4 NIV
'3 your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quit spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight'
Posted by superburrit0 1 year ago
superburrit0
School uniforms are a good idea on paper. They allow students to feel professional and allow students to feel less pressure in wearing the "right clothes".
NOW, my personal opinion school uniforms are a no go. Why? First of all, transgenders. What will they wear? Wearing personal clothes allows the student to express themselves and show a bit of their personality through materials. Wearing school uniforms is oppressive because the school system is meant to TEACH and have students learn educational knowledge. The school is NOT meant for control of students and it is NOT meant to shape their minds to be like everyone else. A happy student is one that is more likely to learn and restricting student freedom more than it already is.. it would lead to more rebellion from students.