Foliya
Jacobl81

Students shouldn't have homework at school

Jacobl81 has forfeited round #2.

Foliya

Pro

In my opinion, homework is not necessary at all because students can understand material of a subject at school, not spending their leisure time at home for it. Sometimes there is so a lot of homework that students have to spend ALL their free time doing it: as consequence, they have poor social skills and no hobbies.
Jacobl81

Con

I think there should be homework in schools because if teachers didn't have homework, they wouldn't be able to get much done. Especially in high school when you have one semester to teach an entire topic. I remember kids would have to take it home. You would have change the entire curriculum or increase the school year in order to have no homework. Which are two big changes to the school. I can understand no homework from kindergarten to grade 6, but 7,8, and high school should have homework in my opinion. Another reason is homework could help the kids learn something with there parents if they didn't understand what there teacher said. It helps me a lot. I can understand you saying too much homework getting away from free time. I can agree, but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be any homework. Maybe a couple sheets a week and on project every other month.
Foliya

Pro

Well, mostly parents are unable to help their child with homework because some subjects(algebra, geometry, chemistry) are very hard to explain for non-professionals. In that case only additional tutor can assist. However, there might be the ways when students can have no homework and still get good education and understandie all material. For example, the amount of time spent at school can be increased( I don't think that studying for extra two hours per day would too catastrophical). Also, by doing everything at school, students would be able able to ask their teachers about all hard tasks. That is undoubtly much better that sitting at home and trying to understand everything yourself for hours with no progress.
Posted by daminosapiens 4 months ago
daminosapiens
Thanks. Is one of many curses some math teachers have. Also english is my second language! But excuses aside, I'm always open to correction, since it could only benefit me positively. I should've done my grammar homework back then I suppose. Keep the topic up...very hot in the education ambiance.
Posted by BackCommander 4 months ago
BackCommander
@daminosapiens, I mostly agree with your comment. I feel the need to point out that you said "looses" instead of "loses" though, as that's one of the "grammar nazi" issues I have.
Posted by daminosapiens 4 months ago
daminosapiens
I'm a high and middle math teacher and my opinion might seem bias by it, but I think homework serves the purpose of reinforcing the material tat already been taught. Whoever is a sports fan (and I'm a soccer coach) knows that every athlete has "homework", apart from just the team's practice. It transfers to the classroom, homework should only be a complement to the class and not a burden on the students. Regarding the "quality " time the student looses because of homework, It would just be a matter of organizational priorities. I had time for video games, soccer, baseball, music, school, friends, family...and still had homework. I always suggest to make it "schoolwork"instead of homework. As far as giving homework a considerable amount of weight for your grade, I still got mixed ideas. If the homework weigh is not much, students won't care about the home work, if it is too much weight their grade gets too affected by it.
Posted by BackCommander 4 months ago
BackCommander
Homework isn't ALWAYS necessary. I for one stopped doing homework that was assigned to me in 9th grade and still passed all of my classes by a decent margin due to practically acing every test. Homework only works to reinforce ideas that have already been learned, homework cannot effectively teach something knew.