Students with a low GPA shouldn't have to do any homework.

Voting Style: Open with Elo Restrictions Point System: Select Winner

First round is acceptance only. I am against low GPA students having no home work. Any one who wants to debate me is welcome, unless they post an argument on this first round.

I accept this debate challenge. Thanks

They should have to do homework because they will drop out FOR SURE if they won't have to do homework. They will never graduate, and they will not be learning. If they are given more simple homework or slightly less homework, than this may help them. But no homework at all will destroy their hopes. If someone told you in school, "You're to dumb to do homework so we will excuse you from homework ok?" If I was told this I would be mad for the teacher treating me as a dumb baby. Even if I was doing very poorly, I would still want to work my way up to get a passing C+ or B-. It would destroy their self esteem.

If they were let off for having bad grades, than they would either give up and drop out of being so ashamed, or have a great time without homework and continue to fail. If they didn't do homework, than they would fool around more and it wouldn't help them work harder. It simply can't help.

First, I want to define homework as assignment that students are required to do by their tutors/teachers/professors.

You are trying to point out that students get low grades due to their laziness and if they do not have homework, they will not give attention to studying. I think this is a big assumption; most students do not voluntarily want bad grades. Instead, they have other reasons, personal problems that hinder them from getting good grades. Thus, forcing them to do more homework would not fix the problems, but only worsen the situation.

In order to decide if students with low GPA should have to do homework, it is necessary to examine causes of GPA, and examine how homework would affect the situation. Some of the most common causes include:

1. Engaging in extracurricular activities:[1]
Many students are not born to do well in schools, and they are endowed with special talents. Some are natural artists or athletes. They have passion and spend much time in these activities. However, grades in school are to evaluate performance in academic task, such as Mathematics, Physics,... These subjects are not more important than arts or sports in schools. They are simply different aspects in life.
Thus, these students should be encouraged to focus on what they excel in, and be free from the burden of homework. If people do not force a mathematician play soccer well, why force homework on an artist? People simply have different talents.

2. Lack of comprehension and bad study habits[1]
This is very common in schools, and it often causes big misconception. Bad performance in schools is often blamed on laziness and lack of attention. However, most children want to do well and have good grades. They cannot pay attention because they cannot keep up with the class and fall behind. Therefore, they seem lazy.
Homework would not help this problem. Giving a student who does not understand the lessons more work simply cannot help. Instead, teachers should spend more time with the students, clarify the points they do not understand. Only when the GPA gets higher, and they can keep up with the class, should they be given homework to further understand the lessons.

3. Disorders [2]
Some students simply have health problems. Many suffer from anxiety and attention deficit disorder. These problems make their school performance worsened.
Giving them homework would not be understanding. Homework does not help, but only worsen their disorders.

I would also love to point out that not giving them homework is not degrading them. We only want to be understanding with their situations, and find the solutions that actually work. Homework is not one of them.

Themeaman909 forfeited this round.

I'm sorry I forfeited the 2nd round, but my vacation had time restraints and I couldn't find the time to do it.
Now that that's out of the way, I can clarify how something you said was slightly off topic:

"Thus, forcing them to do more homework would not fix the problems, but only worsen the situation."

I never stated that in my argument or in the topic that they needed to do "more homework". I didn't understand why you said this, but it is only a small but slightly obnoxious mistake.

"1. Engaging in extracurricular activities:"

I am sure that many students have different talents than academic ones, but this doesn't mean that they shouldn't receive homework from other classes. And, not all students that participate in extracurricular activities have a low GPA. This article gives statistics on students who participate in extracurricular activities. . The article can tell us that the other non academic activities do not usually decrease a student's GPA, and they help them succeed more than non-participants. If a student cannot do homework due to an outside activity, than they should try to make room for it. If their dreams of pursuing something besides academics are shattered for some reason, then at least they will have a backup plan.

"2. Lack of comprehension and bad study habits:"

Again, you state that " Giving a student who does not understand the lessons more work simply cannot help." this is again not related to the topic, or to my argument. Scan through my first argument, and I say nothing about giving MORE homework. Anyways, I perceived in the article you referenced that most of the problems are the students faults. I guess that the bad study habits are a lack of teachers teaching students how to properly study and take notes. This can be solved by a small change of curriculum in language arts or some other class. The other issues are all student related, and nowadays most teachers encourage their students to ask them if they don't understand something about the curriculum.

" 3. Disorders"

You are completely right that some students have disorders that affect their learning styles. It may seem that homework could not help these students, but the schools currently don't do anything now about students with ADD, depression, or anxiety. I had anxiety in school and the school didn't help me, but I still had no problems with the homework. This was a long time ago, so the homework styles have definitely changed. Besides, all 3 of the main disorders mentioned could be treated by medication. You also didn't discuss about how giving no homework is not degrading. Maybe less homework can help these students, but no homework at all would be terrible to any student.

I will add a point to my argument stating that students who aren't exposed to the task of homework will not be prepared for the hard work of the modern adult world. Whether if they have a disorder, participate in activities, or don't ask for a teacher's help, they will still need to learn of the real worlds hardships. I am sorry I costed us some time, but Christmas is a chaotic time. Just remember, you can't hide from reality.

First, I am really sorry I typed that "more homework". I did really mean more work, the point which I would explain further later. Still, that was entirely my fault and I admit I made a mistake.

1. Engaging in extracurricular activities
We are discussing about students with low GPA. And therefore, when I refer to extracurricular activities' effects, I am talking cases when children are endowed with a special talents that they spend most of their time exploiting. Thus, I am not talking about joining a club, or playing a sport for fun as extracurricular activities as reasons for low GPA. I am talking about students who take those activities real serious as their main goal in life, such as a young talented pianist, a skillful footballer. Mozart got home-school from his father and his main subject was music. The early emphasis on music was one of the reasons Mozart's talent was pushed to its fullest. Moreover, the talents we are talking about go to schools. That means they have already got 7 hours a day learning academic subjects. That is one third of the day, and that is enough. Any more work at home should be a waste of time which should be spent on their talent.
Moreover, using academics as a backup plan does not really make sense. The child still goes to school, he does not neglect academic subjects. All I'm saying is any extra work at home is not needed.

2. Lack of comprehension and bad study habits.
When I said more work, I referred to the homework given beside lessons at school, aka homework.
Whether the lack of comprehension or bad habits students' fault is not relevant. The relevant thing is the effects of homework on these students, who has already fell behind. And I would say that the effects is negative. The first reason is that when they do homework, they are doing it alone and without the help from teachers. Why should they be expected to be able to complete the homework, when they even fail at class, with teachers' help. Therefore, what the students need is help from the teachers. Maybe they lack attention because of their fault, maybe they do not understand because of their fault. But they are children and they are bound to make mistake; we cannot always blame them. The teachers are responsible for helping them, for guiding them back on the right track.
Moreover, the students have already studied 7 - 8 hours at school. When they do not understand the material, more work at home only causes more stress and frustration. That is the negative effects of giving them homework

3. Disorders
Again, we are discussing low GPA - students, and when I discussed disorders, I was talking about students who are severely affected to the point that they fail to keep attention or reasonable reasoning abilities. Again, for these students, they would not be able to get the homework done properly, because they have already failed to do that in class, where there is assistance. Homework is not then helpful, and homework can even be negative if it causes stress. And not giving homework is not degrading because it shows our understanding of their problems. They have disorders and they understand they we know and sympathize with them.

Yes, a student needs to prepare for the adult world. But they need to be prepared well enough for schools first. When they fail even in school, it is pointless to force more work on them, aka homework. 7 hours at school is enough stress on them. Only when they can compete with other children, should we think about preparing them for adult world.
Posted by donald.keller 9 months ago
Posted by donald.keller 9 months ago
The Voter's Union has voted on this debate. One more vote will be provided (every debate gets 2). If no one votes, I will.
Posted by W41T 9 months ago
Hmm, I mean further assistance is needed so... I think that is not a contradiction xD
Posted by Themeaman909 9 months ago
"when they even fail at class, with teachers' help. Therefore, what the students need is help from the teachers." Ooops... I think you just contradicted yourself on accident.
Vote Placed by bballcrook21 9 months ago
Who won the debate:-Vote Checkmark
Reasons for voting decision: Con presented a very ludicrous opening argument in his Round 2. Pro then defined the sphere of homework, and then presented factual and relevant information from scientific sources to back up his various claims, being that there are various reasons that might not be voluntary as to why children have a low GDP. Con then forfeited the round, and Pro extended, so nothing is to be done here. In round 3, Con conceded a point to Pro about mental illness and disorders, which affirms Pro's case. Additionally, Con did not present enough information from credible sources to affirm his own case, which is a detriment to his argument. Pro didn't present various sources either, but his argument was more a rebuttal, rather than a statement, as most of the BoP falls on Con. Pro brought up 3 points - mental illness, extracurricular, and bad study habits, which he all argued to hinder the ability of someone to do well. Con's argument about dropping out of school was also very outlandish. Pro wins.
Vote Placed by Forever23 9 months ago
Who won the debate:-Vote Checkmark
Reasons for voting decision: