Adam_G
GodlyBeret

Students with severe learning disabilities should not be in regular/advanced classes.

GodlyBeret

Adam_G

Pro

As a student in advanced classes such as AP or IB, I find it counter-productive to have students with severe learning disabilities in the same classes as regular/advanced students. For example, in my AP US History course last year, a student with autism was included in my class. This student did not take notes, take any of the tests or participate in any way, although he did cause a disruption to the class as he frequently spoke out quite loudly over the professor. It is not fair that students such as i pay 89 dollars to take an advanced course just to have someone with a disability be a disruption throughout the course. It can be assumed that the student and other students with severe disabilities such as this learn little to nothing throughout the course so it is relatively pointless for them to be included. Round 1 will be used to accept the challenge. Round 2 will be for making arguments. Round 3 will be for counter-arguments. Round 4 will be closing statements with no additional, new arguments.
GodlyBeret

Con

I understand your point. But I want to ask you some questions.

1. What grade did you earn in that class?
2. What grade did that autistic person get in class?
3. If the autistic person was a detriment to your learning, did you talk to the professor so they could help you out?
4. Did the autistic person pay the money to be in the class?
5. What kind of things did this person say when he/she talked over the teacher?

I can understand how you feel, but if you got something out of the class, you should not be so unhappy. Plus, there is a difference there. Learning disability and autism are kind of different. A learning disability like dyslexia doesn't affect a person's state of mind. But having autism does. Which could contribute to the reason why there was constant interruption. Even so, you and I must learn to live with others. No matter who they are and how they act. These are some things you should try:

1. Sitting in the front row so you can hear the teacher constantly.
2. Reading a given textbook more at home.
3. Talking to your professor.

So now I will state my position, based that you talk about something different from your initial title, I will state my position on both.

Should students with learning disabilities be allowed in regular and advanced classes?

I believe that if they believe they can handle it, they should go for it.

Should autistic students be allowed in regular and advanced classes?

Yes, as long as they don't physically hurt others, are respecting others, are gaining respect from others, and are making friends, and if they feel comfortable, they should join.

Again I know how you feel, but this world is not for one person. We need to know how to deal with situations that stop us from achieving our goals.
Adam_G

Pro

Adam_G forfeited this round.
GodlyBeret

Con

Students with learning disabilities should be allowed in classes because it is fair. Not allowing them to participate is like saying you can not go to class. If a person with a learning disability detriments your learning, then talk to your professor.
Adam_G

Pro

Adam_G forfeited this round.
GodlyBeret

Con

I forfeit to.
Adam_G

Pro

Adam_G forfeited this round.
GodlyBeret

Con

I forfeit to. Is it cause I said more than I accept In the first round. If so, sorry about that. If you are trolling me then, okay.
Posted by viktor_schauberger 2 years ago
viktor_schauberger
I think they would feel even more isolated when they are surrounded by people they will never keep up with and also how should this work? the teacher must have special skills to treat disabled people all this social inclusion is it for a good thing or just to save money.
Posted by Atmas 2 years ago
Atmas
Autistic people generally have a specialized learning process, sure, but they typically make up for that with a higher intellect that can be put towards the subject they're studying. In school, intelligence is the only thing that matters when it comes to gaining knowledge. How they obtain it is the duty of the teacher to adapt to, not some standardized way of teaching that ends up benefiting no one....

But this isn't my debate.
Posted by GodlyBeret 2 years ago
GodlyBeret
I accept. But I had to post my argument. Sorry about that, I just needed to know a couple things before I started the debate.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
Adam_GGodlyBeretTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by Atmas 2 years ago
Atmas
Adam_GGodlyBeretTied
Reasons for voting decision: Despite Con's attempt at a forfeit, Pro was obviously unwilling to commit to the debate while Con would have continued. Con wanted to base a generalized argument on one personal experience, indicating they harbor a certain amount of disdain going into the debate, so conduct to Con.