Mathlover
2ninjacat

Subbed Anime vs. Dubbed

Started: 5/8/2015 Category: TV

Mathlover

Pro

WHO will accept this debate?
2ninjacat

Con

dubbed:
-Provide (a film) with a soundtrack in a different language from the original.
-Make a copy of (a sound or video recording).

subbed:
-A submarine.
-A subscription.
-A substitute, especially in a sporting team.
-A subeditor.
-An advance or loan against expected income.
-Replace or be replaced; substitute.
-Lend or advance a sum to (someone) against expected income.
-Subedit.

I will accept this debate and I am providing evidence that anime is better dubbed than subbed.
Mathlover

Pro

Anime subbed is much better than dubbed because it is much more original than the dubbed version. Americans have had a problem with the lip reading and how it does not match their actual lip reading. With dubbed, that makes the dialogue not match their actual lip saying rhythms. Anime is meant to just be in Japanese where the subbed does not affect it at all except putting any subtitles. Dubbed actors don't even actually sound like their actual people selves. Subbed helps make people's reading speed faster. Everything in dubbed anime does not sound right. For example, in Fairy Tail, Erza's voice is much deeper in the dubbed anime.
2ninjacat

Con

http://www.fanpop.com... says: I can never understand why people like subbed anime so much. I like the dub way better, you can hear what they say, what voice, what tone. In the subs you have to read and I can't understand what word on what tone... And mostly sometimes I have to pause to read if the sentice is long but they say it all so fast.

I agree to this statement as you have to pause sometimes in the heat of the film to read what the character has said in terms of subbed. Some believe that subbed anime makes your readinskills faster, I can prove this wrong as that in anime, it is more about the character and emotions rather than how fast you can read.

Some comments from http://myanimelist.net... suggest that you can learn to read faster. 'Practice by watching Monogatari and trying to read every sub without having to pause'.

Anime that is dubbed is much easier to memorise and know what is going on. You don't have to pause or re-wind to re-read something and it is certainly more fluent. Plus, the theme song is much easier to learn in English. It is harder to learn it if you don't speak that language (Japanese.)

Mathlover

Pro

"I can prove this wrong as that in anime, it is more about the character and emotions rather than how fast you can read."
If you listen to the actual Japanese, then you will actual get more of the character's characteristics and emotions. I love it when people say that you can't listen to something in subbed anime. Listen to the Japanese.

"Anime that is dubbed is much easier to memorise and know what is going on."
If anime is dubbed, it alters all the voices and you don't need to actual memorize what is going on. Just watch the show and enjoy the subtitles. Dubbed voice actors don't even sound anything close to the actual anime. The subbed anime voice actors were chosen for those specific roles and it should stay that way.

"You don't have to pause or re-wind to re-read something and it is certainly more fluent."

Just read faster and you'll know what's going on. If you watch dubbed, it just shows how small your attention span is and shows that your basically a really lazy person. When you talked about more fluent, shouldn't the Japanese be a little more fluent in anime because it's anime. Real anime lovers watch subbed because the dubbed anime just ruins all the voices of all the roles. Nothing in anime sounds good in English. But Americans decided to alter the voice acting and change it all into English. It doesn't sound good at all.

"Plus, the theme song is much easier to learn in English. It is harder to learn it if you don't speak that language (Japanese.)"

Well, just learn the song and it will take longer. Just deal with learning Japanese. You could probably do the same thing to anime songs as a lot of people did to Gangnam Style. Just get all the right notes and sing it. It's okay if you don't speak the language, just listen to the beauty of Japanese. Just widen your horizons and watch anime subbed. Japanese does sound really pretty.

By the way, dubbed comes out much later than subbed. You need to wait longer for dubbed to come out.
2ninjacat

Con

"Just read faster and you'll know what's going on." What if you are blind and only focus on sound? What if you aren't quick at reading? Anime and other television shows are all about entertainment. They aren't a test to see how fast you can read.

You believe that anime sounds terrible dubbed and that their mouths move out of time. https://www.youtube.com... has 50 amazing animes that have perfect mouth movement to the words that the character is saying. It even shows the amount of votes each one of the animes recieved in oer to make the top 50 list. In japanese their mouths also move out of time, as no movie or show (unless acted in real life) has good mouth moving time. It sounds weird, but it is true.

https://www.youtube.com... and more links show that dubbed anime is also one of the most preerable animes or television shows to watch.

"Just deal with learning Japanese." Don't you think it would be a bit hard learning Japanese with all of the correct sounds and pitch of voice compared to English? If it was in English then all you need to learn is the tune and words. Learning it in Japanese you would have to learn the tune, sounds, pitches, timing and correct format of the Japanese language.

https://www.youtube.com... even has a battle of our points right here. Both are okay, but they truly suit your personallity. Dubbed is preferable for me, I hate reading and will try and avoid it where ever possible. However, with you, you listen to the voice more and love Japanese. So, both are good, but it is okay to watch dubbed and/or subbed.

http://www.crunchyroll.com... has shown that your last point is wrong- 'by the way, dubbed comes out much later than subbed. You need to wait longer for dubbed to come out.' Over the years technology has changed and has always aided our community to bece better. It is the year 2015 and they began translating Japanese to make dubbed anime in 1960 according to http://en.wikipedia.org....

Overall, dubbed anime is certainly better than subbed because when watching TV, you aren't reading a book, TV is for pure enjoyment and pleasure. Dubben anime is more fluent and easier to understand, aiding at the fact that you don't have to pause every so often to re-read what was going on. Dubbed anime is more preferable for those who are English, why do you think they made it into English in the first place?

Posted by Himans45 2 years ago
Himans45
I totally agree with pro but his arguments are meh.
Posted by Mathlover 2 years ago
Mathlover
You listen to the Japanese and read the English subtitles. Japanese sounds so pretty!
Posted by Kozu 2 years ago
Kozu
Would you rather read what people are saying or listen to what people are saying?
Posted by Himans45 2 years ago
Himans45
I did a debate on this before, good luck pro.
Posted by 2ninjacat 2 years ago
2ninjacat
I might.... I will... but are you for dubbed or are you for subbed anime?
I will be dubbed and you will be subbed. I believe this because the 'subbed' is closer to your side of the set out.

Good luck ;)