Himans45
qwzx

Subbed anime is better than dubbed anime

Himans45

Himans45

Pro

Hello, this is my first debate and I wish my opponent good luck.

This debate will be over the subject of subbed vs. dubbed anime. My stance on this is that subbed anime is vastly superior to dubbed, con will be arguing that dubbed is better.

4 rounds
Round 1: Acceptance
Round 2: Opening Statements
Round 3: Rebuttals
Round 4: Closing Statements

Good luck!
qwzx

Con

Sure, why not? ;)

I accept your challenge.......
Himans45

Pro

Thank you for accepting the debate.

I belong do the group of anime watchers that believe in only watching subbed anime. The reasoning behind this is based on four statements.

1) Anime is an art form
2) Because it is an art form, any alteration to the original anime is an unacceptable compromise of artistic integrity.
3) Because dubbing into a different language alters the original form, it is an unacceptable compromise of artistic integrity.
4) Because it compromises artistic integrity, the only acceptable way to view anime is to watch it in it's original form, with Japanese voice acting.

Another point I would like to bring up is that many English dubs are not accurate, either in translation or in tone. Some words in Japanese simply do not translate well into English, and the dubbing companies are forced into changing the wording around. While this is still a problem in subbed anime, often times there will be a side note on the top of the screen telling what the original meaning is. Also, because the English dubs are not the original material, they can not possibly be 100% accurate in terms of tone.

Another argument that is sometime voiced in favor of only subtitling anime is that it forces viewers to learn more about Japanese culture and language if they want to fully understand what they are watching, and that expanding one"s cultural knowledge through this medium is a good thing.
qwzx

Con

Funimation does an amazing job by giving the Japanese anime English dub. Funimation also gets the permission from the artists before giving it English dub. How is that a unacceptable compromise of artistic integrity? Funimation's English dub is also very accurate and sometimes better than the subtitles. The subtitle's wording also is changed like the English dub. Trust me, I know Japanese and that English dub is far superior to English sub. The English sub sometimes cover the lower part of the show and blocks it. It is also hard for some people to read the subtitles and watch the anime at the same time. Funimation also alters the mouthing animation so it goes along with the English words. Finally if you truly want to learn about Japan and his customs...... DO NOT LEARN IT FROM AN ANIME. That is like Japanese people learning American culture through SpongeBob or any other cartoon. There are thousands of ways to learn about Japan and watching anime is not very high on the list.

There I have now debunked all of your arguments...

Ready for round 3? ;)
Himans45

Pro

I would like to point out con did not follow the round set up I had declared, and instead of posting an opening statement he posted a rebuttal in the second round.

"Funimation does an amazing job by giving the Japanese anime English dub."

Obviously there are some good English dubs, but as a whole they are sub-par. The majority of their voice actors are inexperienced, and don't know how to properly convey the emotion showed in the original show.

"Funimation also gets the permission from the artists before giving it English dub. How is that a unacceptable compromise of artistic integrity?"

In the original Japanese version of the anime, the animation studio works with the original artist to get his input on certain scenes, and how they should be portrayed. Oftentimes in English dubs they change the general feel of the anime due to not working with the original artist and not knowing how certain things should be portrayed.

"Funimation's English dub is also very accurate and sometimes better than the subtitles. "

This is entirely dependent on what subs you watch. If you're watching some shady fansubs with little to no reputation then yes, of course things will be messed up. Often times however, the original animating studio does the subtitles, which are usually done well. Other times reputable fansubbers pick up the series, and these are just as accurate, if not more, than the English dub. I would also like to state that many English dubs are inaccurate, such as the dragon ball dub which mistranslated over 8000 to over 9000.

"The subtitle's wording also is changed like the English dub. Trust me, I know Japanese and that English dub is far superior to English sub."

Yes, it is often changed, but not to the extent of the English dub. When certain things are translated and changed in subs, there is often a note near the corner or top of the screen pointing out what they changed. One example would be honorific based humor. In English dubs it is extremely difficult to pull this off, and they often completely change the words. In subs they often just put the honorifics in the subtitles, so you can better understand the humor.

"The English sub sometimes cover the lower part of the show and blocks it."

If there is something important on the bottom of the screen you can still see it through the words, and sometimes they even put the words on top when they want you to focus on the bottom.

"It is also hard for some people to read the subtitles and watch the anime at the same time."

Most people without a reading disability can easily take one glance at the words and read what they are saying. It may be difficult for some people to start, but after watching a lot of subs they will get used to it.

"Funimation also alters the mouthing animation so it goes along with the English words."

Even so, they are not the only dubbing company and others don't. This isn't really an issue anyways.

"Finally if you truly want to learn about Japan and his customs...... DO NOT LEARN IT FROM AN ANIME."

Many anime certainly does incorporate Japanese culture into it. Obviously it is not 100% correct, but it sparks an interest in the viewer to go look things up and learn about the culture.

That is like Japanese people learning American culture through SpongeBob or any other cartoon.

I disagree, some anime obviously is not very realistic, but certain slice of life anime as well as anime from other genres show things that are very similar if not the same as Japanese culture.

There are thousands of ways to learn about Japan and watching anime is not very high on the list.

It may not be the most ideal way, but it is definitely a viable way to get into Japanese culture.

Also, only watching dubbed anime HUGELY limits the amount of anime you can watch. There are very few dubbed anime compared to subbed anime, and even fewer good dubs. By only watching dubbed anime you completely throw out the window some great anime, just because you don't like subs.
qwzx

Con

Sorry for not following your script...
Round 1: Acceptance
Round 2: Opening Statements
Round 3: Rebuttals
Round 4: Closing Statements

In your last argument, you said that there are good and bad English dub anime. There is also good and bad english sub anime. Remember your statement in this debate is that "subbed anime is always better than dubbed anime" but, you also say that there are good and bad anime. Subbed and Dubbed anime are both equally good sometimes and you can't say all subbed anime is better.... Subbed and Dubbed anime both can be awesome or terrible and it really depends on the company. There are BOTH GOOD AND BAD sub and dub animes. For all the anime watchers.... I am saying there is no problem with watching subbed anime. My personal opinion is that dubbed anime is better though. Some of the anime companies make terrible subtitles and are sometimes inexperienced too. Again you can not say that subbed anime is the best. It depends on the animation studio works.
Himans45

Pro

To be clear, my stance on this subject is not that subbed anime is ALWAYS better than dubbed anime, it is that subbed anime as a whole is superior to dubbed anime, and is the proper way of watching it.

Subtitling has many advantages: It allows for an extremely accurate translation (including quirks of the original language that play a role in the plot), allows for you to hear the original actors voices, it allows you to watch the anime as it was originally intended to be watched, and it is much easier to produce and is cheaper to produce.

As of now, few anime are actually dubbed, and even fewer are dubbed well, so if you only watch dubbed anime you are limiting yourself to a very small amount of possible shows to watch.

One other thing that many dubs are guilty of is changing entire scenes, and therefore you miss out on the intended message of the show.

Thank you for debating with me, I had a good time and it was a good learning experience.
qwzx

Con

To be clear, my stance on this subject is that subbed anime is not ALWAYS better than dubbed anime and is not the only proper way of watching it.

Although subbed anime is cheaper, it does not prove that it's quality is better only quantity. Remember, subbed anime is not a must and you can watch an anime both ways without needing to be criticized.

Both types of animes have their pros and cons but that does not mean one type is superior to another. The superiority of dubbed anime is just my opinion...

Thank you for debating with me, I had a good time and it was a good learning experience
Vote Placed by tejretics 2 years ago
tejretics
Himans45qwzxTied
Reasons for voting decision: Toward the end, Con accepted that the constructs of Pro's case were EQUALLY valid. Con failed to rebut Pro's unchallenged proposition that subbed anime is cheaper than dubbed anime; a financial difference is often needed. Con also failed to rebut Pro's still-standing argument for artistic integrity of Japanese anime; Con's first rebuttal was refuted by Pro, and that remains unchallenged. Con failed to follow the format ascribed in Round 1, giving Pro conduct.