SarcasticIndeed
Hardcore.Pwnography

Subbed anime vs. Dubbed anime

Hardcore.Pwnography

SarcasticIndeed

Pro

(This is my first debate, and I feel a bit anxious about it :P Oh well, here it goes)

I will be voting for subbed Anime, and con will be voting for the dubbed. Just to clarify, when watching an Anime subbed, it means watching it in Japanese, with English/your language as subtitle, whereas dubbed is when the Anime is translated and is in English.

The debate will have two rounds.

Argument:

1. The unnatural sound of dubbed anime:

Perhaps you have noticed, that when some (In my opinion, most) anime characters are given to actors of another language that is not Japanese, they cannot act their character to the full potential. Take Bleach for example. If you compare the sound of any characters in sub and dub, the Japanese sounds will most certainly be more natural and in-character. However, in the Bleach dub, the sounds of characters are handled so badly it hurts my ears.

Acting anime characters comes natural to the Japanese, whereas the other nationalities cannot do it as well, simply because their tone of voice doesn't fit with the characters and the ambient of anime.

2. Translating mistakes:

I believe everyone has heard of the meme "It's over 9000!". It comes from Dragon Ball Z, and is actually a translation mistake. The 9000 should actually be 8000.

Now, this is a mistake that has no big relevance, it was just for an example. But take for instance, the same anime, when Vegeta, when fighting Goku said the technique for creating artificial Blutz Waves is made by Goku's father, which is again, a big mistake. It makes one of the inconsistencies in the anime. There are countless mistakes I don't even want to mention that really bug people.

3. Subs help to understand the anime better:

Most subs available on Internet, if you have notices, put little notes on the sides or corners of the video to explain the meaning of a certain thing. Either a ritual, attack, or just a certain Japanese word. Dubbed animes don't have this, so the readers can't understand some jargons or the poor translatations just make it worse.

Another case with this is when there's a background conversation in the anime. In dubs, you just cannot understand these, but when animes are subbed, these conversations are put mostly in the upper center of the video. While these conversations are nothing special, they can be either funny or somehow related to the topic. While you may thing these are a pain to read, and one cannot read several things at once, subbed animes, which are watched on internet can be paused so the fan can read it all. I, by myself, and I believe I'm not the only one, loves to read everything, and not miss a bit of the anime they love.

That's my starting argument, I'm waiting for the Con's response.
Hardcore.Pwnography

Con

Thanks for the debate. As side Con, I must prove why dubbed Anime, without a doubt, is better than subbed Anime. Pro must prove the reverse in order to win.

First I will move into a refutation.

1. The unnatural sound of dubbed anime:

Pro says that "anime characters are given to actors of another language that is not Japanese, they cannot act their character to the full potential."

Obviously, this is not the problem of the dubbed Anime itself. Rather, it is because of bad actors. This point does not prove at all why subbed Anime is better. All it proves is that Japanese actors are better at acting than foreign actors.

Therefore, this argument is invalid and is not related to the topic of the debate. This debate is not "Japanese Actors vs. Foreign Actors."

2. Translating mistakes:

The main point of this argument is that translation mistakes occur with dubbed Anime. However, translation mistakes can occur with subbed Anime too.

We'll use Bleach as an example. The original episodes are aired all in Japanese, in Japan. This original does not have english subs. English, German, and Spanish subs are added later so that other nationalities can view these episodes. There has to be someone who watches the episode and actually translates it themselves. Obviously, as humans, errors can be made.

Here are some examples of bad translation is subs:
http://www.dailyotaku.com...

Therefore, errors occur both in sub and dubbed Anime. Therefore, this argument does not prove why subbed Anime is better than dubbed Anime.

As Pro says himself, people cannot read everything at once, they miss alot of the action. That is exactly the problem with subbed Anime, and he admits it himself.

He also goes on to say that subbed Anime can be paused. However, this takes away from the experience of the video. If you have to constantly pause in order to read the explanation, then you break the flow of the episode. It becomes like a scratched dvd, and i'm sure everyone knows how annoying those are. Your Anime watching experience would not be at a maximum.

As you said, when you have jargon, and are a fan, they would be prompted to read everything. This forces them to pause the video in order to do that, and break the flow of the video.

When I watch subbed Anime, and I'm sure others have this problem, sometimes I become too focused on the text, as I am trying to understand what is going on that I miss some of the explanations for jargon. Thus, as a result, subbed Anime is equivalent to dubbed Anime in terms of understanding what is going on.

Therefore, because of the interruption in flow when you read these explanations, dubbed Anime is much better. Subbed Anime does not accomplish an increased understanding, as Pro says. Therefore, this argument proves nothing.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now, moving onto arguments.

1. Too many things going on at once.

When you have subs, you are forced to read them in order to understand the plot line. Therefore, your eyes are focused on the words, not on the actual Anime itself. Therefore, it is quite common that the viewer would miss certain things, and important actions that are vital to the plot later on.

Therefore, subbed Anime gives you a decreased understanding of vital plot growth that you need in order to understand the Anime.

With subbed Anime, your eyes must read the text as well as watch the action. That is difficult to accomplish. Your eyes must constantly focus on different aspects of the screen, just so you can understand what is going on.

However, with dubbed Anime, your ears are able to pick up the dialogue, so that your eyes can focus on the screen. Therefore you would not miss anything that you would otherwise have missed with subbed Anime.

2. Foreign Language.

When listening to a show in a foreign language, it takes away from the experience and quality of the show, as your ears do not understand the dialogue. Most people find foreign languages annoying to listen to.

http://answers.yahoo.com...

As you see there, a lot of people find certain languages annoying to listen to. With dubbed, you would not have to listen to another foreign language, you can listen to anime in your native tongue. Therefore, you would not be annoyed listening to the speech that you would have heard in a subbed video.

3. Text

With subtitles, the text can cover up certain important parts of the scene, or they can be hard to see, due to color issues (like white subs on light backgrounds). These problems take away from the experience of watching the anime. These problems can effectively be solved with dubs rather than subs.

Conclusion.

In the end, subs have a lot of problems, as I have explained. Problems do not arise with dubs. Therefore dubs are much better than subs.

I would like to end with a few examples of bad subs.

Example 1:

http://www.google.ca...

Example 2:

http://www.google.ca...

Example 3:

http://www.google.ca...

Vote Con.
Vote HardCore
Vote HardCore.Pwnography.

SarcasticIndeed

Pro

I want to forefit here. I still believe subs are better, but I see no point in arguing it against such strong arguments. Congratulaons to con.
Hardcore.Pwnography

Con

Alright, thanks for an interesting debate topic. I look forward to debating against you in the future.
Posted by Maikuru 5 years ago
Maikuru
I've had this argument many times. Nice topic!
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 5 years ago
RoyLatham
SarcasticIndeedHardcore.PwnographyTied
Reasons for voting decision: I think that Con has the edge in this debate, but Pro makes some good points. The voice acting in dubbing is on average worse than in the originals, but sometimes it's actually better. Worse voice acting is not an inherent problem with dubbing, but it's still a general problem.
Vote Placed by jm_notguilty 5 years ago
jm_notguilty
SarcasticIndeedHardcore.PwnographyTied
Reasons for voting decision: concession
Vote Placed by vmpire321 5 years ago
vmpire321
SarcasticIndeedHardcore.PwnographyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Wow. I personally believed that PRO could have completely dominated on this topic, but he ended up conceding. So CON gets the points.
Vote Placed by Stephen_Hawkins 5 years ago
Stephen_Hawkins
SarcasticIndeedHardcore.PwnographyTied
Reasons for voting decision: obvious