BullEviscerator
DrStrangeLuv

Success is contingent upon one's inborn ability

DrStrangeLuv

BullEviscerator

Pro

I will take the stand that success is contingent upon one's inborn ability. Con will be against.

The debate will follow this model
Round 1: Intro/ Definition/ BoP
Round 2: Main arguments
Round 3: Clash/Rebuttals
Round 4: Clash/Rebuttals
Round 5: Conclusion/Overview

Definition:
Success: Household income $100,000 or more per annum
Inborn: naturally present at birth; innate
Ability:power or capacity to do or act physically, mentally, legally,morally, financially, etc.
http://dictionary.reference.com...

Burden of Proof
It is Pro's victory if Pro can effectively claim that success is contingent upon one's inborn abilities.

Opponent may offer a counter-definition in the this round, and modify/add to BoP if necessary. Note, however, that discussions of definitions will not leave the second round, and that after round 2, it will be up to the voters to decide which definition they most prefer.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I thank whoever will accept this debate in advance. I hope this will be as fun as intellectually stimulating! :-D

DrStrangeLuv

Con

Good evening.

DEFINTIONS:

I'd like to add the following to Inborn: naturally present at birth; innate; not learn-able through any outside source;

Because of the definition of Inborn, all acts of schooling and learning of any kind (either through personal observation or a third party) cannot be considered inborn. Also, since Inborn is defined as naturally present at birth, any bodily changes which occur over a human being's lifetime are not considered to be inborn, but rather the result of growth and development.

And also, Ability: Being relevant to age, inclination and circumstances, it is a power or capacity to do or act physically, mentally, legally,morally, financially, etc.

CONTENTION:

I hold that success is not dependent upon ones inborn ability. I will build my argument around the three points of:

1) Transfer of estates or heir-ship that bring success automatically.
2) Basic infant instincts (such as crying, suckling, etc..) cannot bring about success.
3) Ones natural ability to learn brings knowledge which can make him succeed, but this violates the definitions set forth by Pro and myself, and is therefore not debatable.

Thank you and good luck.
BullEviscerator

Pro

BullEviscerator forfeited this round.
DrStrangeLuv

Con

my contention still stands
BullEviscerator

Pro

BullEviscerator forfeited this round.
DrStrangeLuv

Con

DrStrangeLuv forfeited this round.
BullEviscerator

Pro

BullEviscerator forfeited this round.
DrStrangeLuv

Con

DrStrangeLuv forfeited this round.
BullEviscerator

Pro

BullEviscerator forfeited this round.
DrStrangeLuv

Con

DrStrangeLuv forfeited this round.
Posted by Dazedinday 6 years ago
Dazedinday
And, if one some random hapless dude won a lottery, he would've easily gained an average of more than $100,000 per annum, which makes this hapless dude successful? What garbage.
Posted by Dazedinday 6 years ago
Dazedinday
And Pro's definition of success is stupid. There are many people who went and did great things to humanity, but chose to leave behind wealth behind. But in return, people like the stated left a legacy behind. Why wouldn't you call those success also?
Posted by Cobo 6 years ago
Cobo
This resolution is horrible.
Con Can easily quote many success stories.
EX. Homeless to Harvard
Posted by Spaztoid 6 years ago
Spaztoid
I'd like to take this, however before I do, I would like to get a few clarifications.

1.) How semantic is this debate supposed to be?

2.) Is your assertion that it is success is sole contigent upon one's inborn abilities, to the exclusion of development? (I.E. Only those who were born as natural speakers will be successful) Or do you plan on claiming that all aspects of a person's devolpment stem from their natural abilites? (I.E. I learned to swim, therefore my ability to swim stems from my natural abilities)
Posted by BullEviscerator 6 years ago
BullEviscerator
Why'd I do that :)
Thanks.
Posted by Cliff.Stamp 6 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
The resolution and clarification are significantly different, being contingent upon, and being related to are very different assertions. It is almost impossible to prove something is unrelated to something else, for example the famous butterfly effect in chaos theory notes almost anything is related to (effected by) almost everything else.
Posted by BullEviscerator 6 years ago
BullEviscerator
That's a very good suggestion, Laissez Faire.
Although I don't agree about this being an absurd topic, that is a way better resolution that you suggest :D
Posted by Loserboi 6 years ago
Loserboi
I mean con
Posted by Loserboi 6 years ago
Loserboi
If you just said Kobe Bryant in round 2 i would automatically vote for PRO i dont care about the rest of the argument. That guy never went to college and he will make more money than i will ever make.
Posted by LaissezFaire 6 years ago
LaissezFaire
This is an absurd topic. A single example of a successful person who didn't go to university would prove that universities aren't "essential" to a person's success.

You state that you believe, "universities are irrelevant to success and that it is purely contingent upon the individual's inborn cognitive ability." That's a debatable topic. Make that the resolution.
Vote Placed by Loserboi 6 years ago
Loserboi
BullEvisceratorDrStrangeLuvTied
Reasons for voting decision: all the forfeits